• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Merc Report - Seeding Some Disruptive Tendencies

Mercs,

We know you are always interested in new tools of the trade, and we have several new upcoming options for your arsenal to share with you today.

Starting with the Horzine Research Groups latest offerings: The Disrupter and the Tommy Boom.
HRGTommyBoom.png
Tired of your grenades being big (and the resulting booms large)? Want to spread around some of that explosive message (to whom it may concern)? Look no further than the Tommy Boom. This modified SMG has been over-engineered to fire explosive ammunition and deliver it as fast as you can keep your finger on the trigger. This tier 2 brings a whole new way to share your love of explosives with all the Zeds headed your way.

HRGDisrupter.png
Gunslingers, have you ever found that the “Big Ones” are coming right for you and you didn’t have the right option to get out of the situation? Enter the Disrupter. This little darling is designed to send disruptive plasma blasts down range, quickly to keep the crowd at bay, or in a slower firing, more powerful shot, for those “Bigger Ones”.

piranha.png
We know exactly what you're thinking Zerkers (and envious Gunslingers), the Evicerator is too big to carry with you at all times. Well some of the lab coats agreed and have developed a pocket version they are calling the Piranha Pistol. Able to bring the smaller sized ferocity of the spinning blades to carve up your foes, we should note that you can take two if you want. All in all, the Piranha offers everything you love from the Evicerator in a new, bite sized package!

corruptercarbine.png
The last addition to your arsenal is what we are calling the Corruptor Carbine for Medics and Sharpshooters. What makes this bolt actioned contraption so special is its secondary ammunition that the lab coats call a “seed”.

A target that has been seeded will explode on their death in a cloud of standard medic gas that heals friendlies and poisons Zeds. But be warned, a seed won’t last forever in the wild, and will degrade over time, so you may need to consider the timing of your shot.

Keep your eyes out, as we’ll be going over your next mission (map) and field improvements (QoL updates) in the coming weeks.

As a reminder: HRG weapons are free for all users, while other weapons can be obtained via the Armory Season Pass or direct individual purchase

I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 245 featured items
Between players wanting the Berserker to get nerfed further, the Frost Fang and now the Piranha Pistol, I actually wonder if Berserker will become the "pay to win" perk moving forward. If the anti-zerk crowd gets their way in a future update, then he'll need to have ranged weapons in order to maintain a sense of viability since we have seen a point where Zerks can get torn up to shreds even if they time their parries correctly.

Reactions: tired_gamerpyro
Upvote 0
Which Perk weapon is this weapon?
Tommy boom = Demolition, HRG Disrupter = Gunslinger, Pirahna Pistol = Berserker, Corruptor Carbine = Medic/Sharpshooter I assume based off of the wording

I like the ideas you guys are coming up with for weapons, hope someday more modding ability is opened up so even more creative cool things can come to KF2 like it was in KF1.

Upvote 0

The idea of the tommy boom is not bad, but ... considering that there is HRG kaboomstick I feel that it is something unnecessary on the contrary HRG Disrupter seems something interesting which leads me to wonder if it will be a weapon with a primary role On the contrary, the DLC weapons, Pirahna Pistol looks like a bad joke, since the idea of a DLC weapon is to give something new, different, not a miniature version of something already existing in the base game Corrupter Carbine looks like a Mine recconstructor and an incision HRG, and I think it's not what the community was asking for with an SS bolt-action rifle. I hope Tripwire doesn't make the mistake (and the missed opportunity) with the new map and the update that was "Interstellar insanity"​

Upvote 0
Wow. That's a new low we've reached. I didn't think it would be possible considering weapons were the main reason to come back with each update to at least try them. Now... It's really gonna need some insane gunfeel or capabilities to convince me that my first impression is flawed.

Tommy Boom : You've done "random weapon, WITH HEALING" and "random weapon, WITH FIRE" , so now we're getting every possible gun turned explosive? Sure I liked Torgue weapons in Borderlands 2, but I thought the Kaboomstick was already filling that niche pretty well. Now with a gun that doesn't even have the limitations related to a low mag size, will any other gun (besides the ubiquitous RPG-7) be even able to compete, considering how meta Assault Rifles tend to be? We'll see I guess. But I'm personally a bit skeptical about the role the gun will have in the demo's arsenal... Even though it will surely be stupidly fun.

Disrupter : So basically a pistol that allows you to either fire a rain of lead (or well, plasma) or a big shot? On paper, that sounds like the best idea of the bunch. Considering the good ol' Slinger is a bit boring weapon-wise, that finally allows us to get something that behaves differently. I'm a bit less enthusiastic with having yet another gun being "the best of both worlds", which might prove to either make it the absolute best gun (because it does what all the others do), or make it the never picked (because it's a jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none scenario). But we'll see I guess. I'm just glad that the G18 isn't alone anymore.

Piranha Pistol : I really want to like this one... Everything should actually please me. From the name to the look of the gun and even it's basic premise. Yet, it doesn't. It may be because I'm not fond of the trope of making "that thing, but better/weaker". Maybe because it won't bring much more to the zerk, besides yet another ranged option (which was valid for the Eviscerator precisely because it's a T4 and was zerk's ultimate gun for quite a while). Or maybe it is simply because an akimbo zerk weapon could have been so much more. I would have loved for something truly gruesome, possibly crossperked with the GS, that would bring some flair to the perk. Instead, it just pummels one of the last remaining weakness of the perk further down.

Corrupter Carbine : Not sure about how I feel about how the gun looks. I find the Atompunk aesthetic intriguing, to say the least, but the colorscheme is a bit strange. I believe a vibrant red would have been better than that copper colour. Or the copper is meant to add a steampunk touch? But then the neon green clashes with it too ! Oh well. As for the gun itself, I believe that a twist of the NA-45 Sniper Rifle (of Advanced Warfare fame) would have been better. Not only do we don't have a sharp/demo crossperk as of yet, but it would have avoided many other problems (namely the ones I've mentioned for the Tommy Boom AND the fact than the medic is a one-man-army as it currently stands). The doc really DOESN'T need any more guns, and certainly not powerful ones. It also makes no sense for the Sharpie to be able to create gas clouds, just like it made no sense for the zerk AND support to inflict cryo damage with the Frost Fang. We're reaching the point where any perk can do anything. And with that reasoning... Why bother having perks at all?

Upvote 0
pirhana pistol -its mini Eviscerator just recycling existing model & devs laziness im dont like it
corrupter carabine -another one futuristic weapon mehhh is to much in game already

im hope and wait for more historical weapons from II WW era (especially german) why not MP 40 for swat ? why not Luger for gunslinger ? why not panzerfaut for demolitions ? why not MG 34 for commando ? you can do it better tripwire saberlight .......

Last edited:
Reactions: Commandstorm
Upvote 0
another one futuristic weapon mehhh is to much in game already

Yeah, about that, why do they add futuristic and non-existent in reality weapons in the first place? The reason #1 behind this is one can be lazy with the design and still do okay. If it was a real world weapon, e.g. FN FAL and they missed a little detail or added some moron grade animation to it like sliding the scope down the picatinny rail on a supposedly battle ready rifle they'd get a ton of flak for that and it would be well deserved. Just like they did with FAMAS.

Now what happens if they add a futuristic weapon? They can just address all the criticism (which would be much less potent in the first place as there would be nothing in real life to compare the weapon model to) by saying hey, it's not a bug, it's a feature. That's just how this weapon might have worked in the future!

So if there's a preference shift as the FPS game matures towards futuristic weapons it's a clear sign of the quality going downhill. Of which we know this already, it's just one sign out of the many.

Upvote 0
im hope and wait for more historical weapons from II WW era (especially german) why not MP 40 for swat ? why not Luger for gunslinger ? why not panzerfaut for demolitions ? why not MG 34 for commando ? you can do it better tripwire saberlight .......
Kinda why I wonder if meshes could be added in the game as exceedingly rare weapon skins in a future Killing Floor

MP-40 would probably just be an MP5 skin
Luger > 9mm
Panzerfaust > RPG-7

MG-34 might be the only weapon that'd actually be unique though the Stoner is a testament that belt-fed weapons are out of place in a game like Killing Floor.

Upvote 0
Is there any way the Tommy Boom won't be beyond reasonable in Zed Time? I mean, if it's a Demo weapon, *each one of those things can make a Nuke.* If it's SWAT, then Rapid-Assault with explosives. There's no way that can't be busted either way.

Disrupter sounds like it'll reuse the Arc Generator code, which means it'll probably have a way to inflict EMP on Gunslinger.

Piranha is either going to be amazing or garbage...at least for Berserker because I can't see a projectile weapon being useful on Gunslinger compared to what's already in its arsenal.

Carbine is still everything wrong with weapon designs since 2018 crammed into one package.

Upvote 0
Is there any way the Tommy Boom won't be beyond reasonable in Zed Time? I mean, if it's a Demo weapon, *each one of those things can make a Nuke.* If it's SWAT, then Rapid-Assault with explosives. There's no way that can't be busted either way.
Probably, the weapon will be hardcoded to never have nukes so as to make Mad Bomber a better choice with the weapon. I mean, nukes on Gravity Imploder's already kinda useless so perhaps Tommy Boom and Gravity Imploder would make for a better pairing?

Upvote 0
You guys are just way too negative. I mean OK, many of the recent updates have problems, but bashing TWI all the time like you do is not helping anything, most likely they will just stop reading what's here.

It's natural, that's the price one pays for the deteriorating quality of the updates to the initially higher quality product and brand. That's the #1 reason Toyota cars get bashed on mechanics forums and at the same time they remain the best cars out there from the longevity and maintenance standpoint. It's just they aren't as good as they were in the 80s and 90s.

But this also warrants flipping the scenario.

I, at the very least, provide suggestions to TWI on how to improve (although I'm sure they'll never act upon them), by either stopping the updates completely and letting the community do the job, or improve the quality back to where it was before. Yes, that may sound negative, but what are you suggesting for us on how to react to poor quality updates? Praise them so they think they do a good job? Keep silent so they think they do an okay job? Encourage casuals to express their opinions on "thanks for keeping the game alive" when in reality they couldn't care less about it, might play for 2 hours each seasonal update and won't ever bother registering on forums to provide constructive feedback?

Upvote 0
Yeah, about that, why do they add futuristic and non-existent in reality weapons in the first place? The reason #1 behind this is one can be lazy with the design and still do okay. If it was a real world weapon, e.g. FN FAL and they missed a little detail or added some moron grade animation to it like sliding the scope down the picatinny rail on a supposedly battle ready rifle they'd get a ton of flak for that and it would be well deserved. Just like they did with FAMAS.

Now what happens if they add a futuristic weapon? They can just address all the criticism (which would be much less potent in the first place as there would be nothing in real life to compare the weapon model to) by saying hey, it's not a bug, it's a feature. That's just how this weapon might have worked in the future!

So if there's a preference shift as the FPS game matures towards futuristic weapons it's a clear sign of the quality going downhill. Of which we know this already, it's just one sign out of the many.
That's an interesting take that I've never heard before. I do find it sound, but I think we shouldn't become suspicious of every futuristic gun because of that. I mean... You can make a fictional gun and still make it credible and realistic. "Realistic" doesn't mean REAL. It means it behaves in a way that would seem natural IRL. And it often comes by numerous details hinting at how the gun works. So yeah, it's definitely possible to come up with a sci-fi gun and still care a little about it... But it is true that you may bypass some details that would get gun-nuts mad ! Also, it's obvious, but you have the added challenge of actually coming up with a new design, quite often inspired by nothing but your own imagination... So that's an extra workload to think about.

TL;DR : It might be true, but we shouldn't be shunning every futuristic shooters for that either.

Totally on board with everything @OnionBubs said, mostly about the ZED-Time problems related to the Tommy Boom... It's just like the G18 and the Rack'Em Up skill all over again.

@CitronVert : They already shot themselves in the foot (by now, probably both feet actually) by not giving a **** for the past two years. Criticism isn't the same as bashing for the sake of being a bully. We're not slamming Tripwire like spoiled kids never happy with what they have. We're still here complaining because nothing has changed. Because we're still within the same dynamic, the same routine. The big novelty of this year was the return of the Weeklies... Boom. Oh, and the Season Pass, which IS a great move (I bought it straight-up and praise it all the same), but it's too little too late.

You don't take time to criticize something you don't care about. Good criticism can go a long way. And as fans, our job is NOT merely to play the game and shut up. It is also to give feedback. To give advice. To give suggestions. Only rabid fanboys will gobble everything being served to them without saying a word. Meanwhile, we complain because we care. Don't forget we're also CUSTOMERS. And a general rule of thumb is that customers should be satisfied with their products. We paid for a game, it's logical to expect to like what we paid for.

Upvote 0