• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Baksan Valley = Worst map? (merged)

Harry S. Truman said:
I don't like this map either. It's like a big deathmatch arena. There's no flow to the battle but rather just a bunch of people sneaking around and getting in behind you all the time.

I'm one of those sneaky bastards! :D
Baksan complements my style of play well: just flank 'em if you can't get close through regular means, ie running into them through open terrain.

Upvote 0
Well, if you get killed using those weapons you're using them the wrong way.

Baksan is fun but it's VERY hard if people on your team don't know what they're doing, especially on the Russian side it's hard to cap the last objective (the oldmill)

It seems Baksan is one of those maps where one team thinks that all they have to do is to defend the map, but forget that they have to cap ALL of the objectives for a win.

Just yesterday I played that map as Russians and the Germans BARELY won, really the cap meter was like at 99% when the time ran out. Had the round carried on for only half a second, we would have won. Very intense.

I love the SVT btw :D

Upvote 0
Hmmm. I don't like Baksan, something about the map just plays wrong, I guess. Playing Baksan has nothing to do with tactical movement and such, it's about which team moves the fastest towards the cap-positions and finds good spots to camp in. But I've got no problem with the semi-autos on this map, as the bolties are just as deadly, so what the hell.

I didn't like it in the mod, and I still don't like it in the retail, because it just doesn't play right in my opinion. It looks nice, but that's about it.

Upvote 0
When I manage to capture that beauty,I get atleast 3-4 kills per death

A bit off topic but I use to play original DOD. When I would play germans and have a weapon I didn't like I would pick up other weapons, and one of the best weapons in the game was the BAR. So I would find a BAR pick it up and then die. It was like I had a curse where when I pick up the BAR I and everyone around me dies. I remember one time I picked it up and everyone was like NO DON'T DO IT! and then 4 of us fall dead to a grenade or a smg or something.

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
We all know the worst map is Rakovice right? And as said if anyone wins at all on Baksan (cause most of the time noone does) it's mostly the Germans.

I find Baksan to be one of the better maps: BOTH sides need to do something to win, I find that much better than those maps where all one side needs to do is camp.

Correction: you mean defend :p

Upvote 0
I've noticed that there's a tendency of people saying "this sucks, that sucks" without backing up their opinion with a good argument. Mostly it's because they don't know how a certain map or feature in the game works, thus they simply say "it sucks".

Like Hyperion said, on some (if not most) RO maps people have to know what they're doing - if they don't, they lose the map. That's what I like about RO, it takes true skill and realistic tactics to win.

Upvote 0
Nimsky said:
I've noticed that there's a tendency of people saying "this sucks, that sucks" without backing up their opinion with a good argument. Mostly it's because they don't know how a certain map or feature in the game works, thus they simply say "it sucks".

Try actually reading what I write, then you might actually find the "good argument".

The "good argument" is that this map was okay in the mod, not great, but okay - now with the weapon restrictions and no MGs, suddenly it becomes highly imbalanced because the germans have no long-range automatic or semi-automatic fire.

How anyone can find it fun or balanced to go with a single-shot bolt rifle against a SVT is beyond me. I know that with a "borrowed" SVT I can kill two to three people for each of my own deads on that map. The KAR is just too weak against it.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
How anyone can find it fun or balanced to go with a single-shot bolt rifle against a SVT is beyond me. I know that with a "borrowed" SVT I can kill two to three people for each of my own deads on that map. The KAR is just too weak against it.
It's not balanced and it's not supposed to be balanced either. The SVT is just better for those close to mid ranged fights, period. When you face a SVT40 rifleman up close you simply have to be better than him. Deal with it. RO isn't and never has been about 100 per cent balanced weapons. It's about being as close to real while still being a fun game.

And then there's like what three SVT40 on that map? It's never been too much of a problem for me or most others here. Germans have their MP40s and their final objective is much easier to cap. The map is much better balanced than some others.
SasQuatch said:
Correction: you mean defend :p
On a public server that's basically the same thing :p

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Try actually reading what I write, then you might actually find the "good argument".

The "good argument" is that this map was okay in the mod, not great, but okay - now with the weapon restrictions and no MGs, suddenly it becomes highly imbalanced because the germans have no long-range automatic or semi-automatic fire.

Well, your argument is far from good. I really wish there was a steam app that showed stats for the maps. If you just take a look at this thread though, I think you will see most people's experience is that it is the germans who win most of the time. When they don't it is a stalemate just as often as a win for the allies. I can bet most of these people aren't stating this off of 2 plays of the map either. Which is the biggest flaw of your argument. The fact about Baskan that you saw happen is this; When the skill and knoweledge of the teams are uneven, it's a slaughter. I myself have been on the side of both Axis and Allies and had this happen. I will agree it is very frustrating. Still, it is not the fault of the map. This also happens on the other small RO maps.

BV is a fantastic map. It is very beautiful to begin with. It also has plenty of tactics that can be used going solo or as a duo. Just like every RO map the most effective tactic is working as a squad. When only one team does this they can dominate with or without the SVT.

Upvote 0
BoltActionJackson said:
I can bet most of these people aren't stating this off of 2 plays of the map either. Which is the biggest flaw of your argument. The fact about Baskan that you saw happen is this; When the skill and knoweledge of the teams are uneven, it's a slaughter. I myself have been on the side of both Axis and Allies and had this happen. I will agree it is very frustrating. Still, it is not the fault of the map. This also happens on the other small RO maps.

You're still ignoring the fact that I played this map many times in the mod. And it never was a "slaughter" for one side. But suddenly, without the StG44, you have Sovjet SVTs leading the scores.

Perhabs I would be a bit less grumpy if they actually fixed the load times and allowed everyone to get at least the MP40 now and then. But I really don't see the appeal in using a KAR against a SVT, where not even the bajonet works as it should.

Upvote 0