• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Custom Gamemodes crash game due to KFEngine.ini MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC

Once again we have had QA try repeatedly to reproduce this crash on a vanilla set up and can not. As I said previously, if this happens to you on vanilla, send us your logs and your DxDiag, details about your KF install including settings, any information about the what you were playing when it happened including all cosmetics equipped.

Upvote 0
Because if you test on the same hardware again and again every time, with hardware that is not affected with this ini file change, you will not be able to have the issue, as you test with unaffected hardware.

To be honest at this point I don't care anymore I wasted too much time already reporting things here and waiting for fixes and all. I'm not really playing your games anymore. I'm just here for the lolz and repeating how bad you handled your games development all these years to this day (from an involved player point of view, I'm sure the company did well... financially).

I'm not playing on Windows anymore (but don't tell me the issue was because I play on Proton, it is not because of that, at all), so you won't get my dxdiag anyway. Issue was there on Windows with my i5 2500K with GTX 560, issue was there on my I5 2500K with GTX 1060, issue still there with my Ryzen 5 3600 and GTX 1060 (all of these setups with 16GB RAM, Windows 7).

Upvote 0
We've tested in dozens of different hardware configurations available to the team across the different companies working on the project, having testers add and remove RAM sticks to add an additional testing variable and have so far not been able to reproduce this issue.

Thank you for letting us know your specific configurations, we are continuing to look into this and hope to be able to pinpoint why this happens for some players.

Upvote 0
While I understand you want to focus only on vanilla content, this problem can be very easily reproduced 100% of the time with certain modded setups, so why not give it a try in attempt to debug the problem ? To reproduce, you can join any server that has CD / Controlled Difficulty in the name, then switch map and it will crash shortly after first wave. I'm also OK to open a private server for testing if it helps.

I also want to point out again, that the symptoms of the error show a problem in the engine, nothing specific to mods, and I think there is a good chance that it is very easy to fix in the code (call the GC after map switch / reset the GC state). So, while I wouldn't be as harsch as @omano, by dodging it because "it happens only on modded servers" you give the message that you're OK to have bugs in your code as long as it does not affect vanilla gameplay.

EDIT: fixed name yoshiro -> omano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because the modded setup may actual be a different issue from a crash in vanilla, and if so, would be outside of the scope of the teams efforts here and more on the modders to figure out what is causing the issue in their code and fix.

That being said, we have had some luck in the recent days with traction on this, that appears to be related to Windows 7 installs, which has not previously been in our testing regimine as it is no longer a supported operating system.

Upvote 0
Because the modded setup may actual be a different issue from a crash in vanilla, and if so, would be outside of the scope of the teams efforts here and more on the modders to figure out what is causing the issue in their code and fix.

That being said, we have had some luck in the recent days with traction on this, that appears to be related to Windows 7 installs, which has not previously been in our testing regimine as it is no longer a supported operating system.
Just to not get your hopes up, this whole GC thing is frequent on Windows 10 as well (as in my friends who have that OS, have had their game stability improved significantly and no longer crash when switching server or just transitioning to another map.)

Reactions: CitronVert
Upvote 0

With all due respect, I have a hard time seeing how it could not be the same error: in both cases the game crashes instantly at wave 1 after the map is switched, and appeared after a patch where you changed MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC...

From what I read on UE docs, this variable "MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC" looks like a dangerous way to optimize the game, and the arbitrary value of "179220" does not make me very trustful... It is optimizing performance for the specific configuration that your have used during profiling, but at the expense of risking crashes for other setups. In particular, that makes it very mod-unfriendly, I hope this trade-off is known...

Upvote 0
I've had users have this issue before, and honestly while the logic here is it doesn't affect vanilla stock (even tho it does and many people have claimed this) What is the harm in just adjusting the value overall? It would be one thing if the alternate number caused it's own problems, but it doesn't. The majority of the steam playerbase in my experiences use custom maps even when not using mods. I don't think this simple number change request is being taken seriously enough.
Alternatively, if possible, why not create an alternative number that is set to this alternate number that is only active on modded/custom maps servers?

Upvote 0
Just to not get your hopes up, this whole GC thing is frequent on Windows 10 as well (as in my friends who have that OS, have had their game stability improved significantly and no longer crash when switching server or just transitioning to another map.)
Thank you for providing that information, will make sure the team is aware.

Upvote 0
With all due respect, I have a hard time seeing how it could not be the same error: in both cases the game crashes instantly at wave 1 after the map is switched, and appeared after a patch where you changed MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC...

From what I read on UE docs, this variable "MaxObjectsNotConsideredByGC" looks like a dangerous way to optimize the game, and the arbitrary value of "179220" does not make me very trustful... It is optimizing performance for the specific configuration that your have used during profiling, but at the expense of risking crashes for other setups. In particular, that makes it very mod-unfriendly, I hope this trade-off is known...
While the publish facing crash error stack may look the same, it could in fact be different things.

That setting was chosen by platform engineers based on their knowledge of the engine, the game, and what best fit the needs of the hardware the game will be run on. Sadly I do not have any further insight to pass along as to why the specific number was chosen.

Upvote 0