• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I hate the automatics

dktekno

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
Take out the automatics. Even just 1 or 2 with automatic rifle can make the game feel like every time you end up in firefight, you can be sure it is one with automatic rifle.

2 with automatics out of 15 players makes a difference and can end up owning the map and the rest of the players dont make a difference.

The automatics where not used much, and it is limited in the game. But even with the limits, they still count of a too high percentage.

There should therefore not be any automatics.

If you insist on having automatics, the limits should not be defined by the map, but by percentage.

On a map with only 20 players, the majority of the players will have automatics and smg.

This is unrealistic. With so few players, only 1 should be smg and the rest should be rifle.

dktekno said:
The automatics where not used much, and it is limited in the game. But even with the limits, they still count of a too high percentage.

Im sorry, but you are just flat out wrong there.

The PPSH was more abundant than grass, the MP-40 was issued in high numbers aswell (though not as high as the PPSH), also, you have to remember that the SVT-40 was supposed to replace the Mosin Nagant rifles, whilst it never did, it was issued in very high numbers and infact there should probably be more SVT's allowed in the maps, im not so sure about the G-43 though, but the STG-44 was also becoming more or less standard issue to SS troops atleast by the end of the war.

Upvote 0
Ghad said:
This is all about knowing your limitations.

If you are using bolt, you need to be in a place where the auto can not use his superiority against you.

Aural awareness is the key, if you hear the svt, you keep your face down.
Best post in this thread. I made the same mistake very often: You have a bolt-action rifle, but you play like DoD. You run to the front die. Respawn, run to the front die. IF YOU ASSAULT WITH A BOLT-ACTION RIFLE YOU WILL DIE NINETY-NINE PER CENT OF THE TIME.

With a bolt-action you simply have to advance very slowly, get cover wherever possible, flank and/or team up with a submachinegunner.

Upvote 0
MkH^ said:
I can't help but to find this thread quite inane. With few exceptions the automatic weapons suck, and for most occasions bolt action rifle is a lot better choice. Besides, if anything, the automatic weapons are too limited.

:eek: I need you in my squad! I'm getting quite profficient at using the 40 and 44.;)

:cool: What's your in-game name?:)

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
Best post in this thread. I made the same mistake very often: You have a bolt-action rifle, but you play like DoD. You run to the front die. Respawn, run to the front die. IF YOU ASSAULT WITH A BOLT-ACTION RIFLE YOU WILL DIE NINETY-NINE PER CENT OF THE TIME.

With a bolt-action you simply have to advance very slowly, get cover wherever possible, flank and/or team up with a submachinegunner.

We Stosstruppen really appreciate good riflemen too. If I know I've got 2 or 3 good rifles at my back, I'll run decoy cover to cover to flesh out the enemy for them. Every enemy the rifles kill makes the job of the Stosstruppe that much easier when we get to the enemy position and within smg range... at 30m and under is where we shine!

KK do you or MkH^ play on any of the TR servers?

Upvote 0
|MP44|FritZFretZ said:
We Stosstruppen really appreciate good riflemen too. If I know I've got 2 or 3 good rifles at my back, I'll run decoy cover to cover to flesh out the enemy for them. Every enemy the rifles kill makes the job of the Stosstruppe that much easier when we get to the enemy position and within smg range... at 30m and under is where we shine!

KK do you or MkH^ play on any of the TR servers?
Unfortunately because I'm from the dark northern Europe I can pretty much be only found playing on the European servers because of the latency limitations :(

Thanks for the offer anyway.

Upvote 0
dktekno said:
Take out the automatics. Even just 1 or 2 with automatic rifle can make the game feel like every time you end up in firefight, you can be sure it is one with automatic rifle.

2 with automatics out of 15 players makes a difference and can end up owning the map and the rest of the players dont make a difference.

There should therefore not be any automatics.

If you insist on having automatics, the limits should not be defined by the map, but by percentage.

On a map with only 20 players, the majority of the players will have automatics and smg.

This is unrealistic. With so few players, only 1 should be smg and the rest should be rifle.
Ummm...wow. [sarcasm]I just mowed down wave after wave of foolish players last night on Konigsplatz with the tank coax MG, lets get rid of it! In fact let's get rid of any weapon that anyone knows how to use effectively![/sarcasm] Any weapon/player can be overcome with the right tactics. Don't blame the game because your tactics are poor.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The fact that there are great limits placed on classes, especially automatics, make the game balanced, and the quantity of limits are strict, just as it should be, no more, no less, for historical accuracy and even gameplay. And for the record, I do better with my Mosin Nagant than any automatic to the point where some have accused me of cheating, yet I never seem to be able to effectively wield an automatic to its full potential.

But let's look at this your way. You're saying rifles only. Well, there goes the deployable machine guns and mabye even the coaxial guns on the tanks in addition to the common SMGs.. yet you see so many photos from the Eastern Front showing Germans with MP40s, MG42s and 34s and many Soviet troops and almost all officers wielding PPShs. So everyone will be running around with a rifle, no SMGs or machine guns. Excellent, that would destroy everything that makes this game so realistic and great.

You may not like automatics, but most people don't like guns that mow them down anyway. That's war.

Last edited:
Upvote 0