• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Killing Floor 2 - Spring and Beyond Roadmap

kf2banner.jpg

As a follow up to our State of the Game 2020 message, I would like to give you all a peek into our plans for 2021 with the Season Updates so that you have some clarity in what we’re hoping to accomplish and target for the year. I want to strongly emphasize that all these plans are subject to change as we progress through development, go through iteration and playtesting to see what works and makes the cut for release.

For 2021, we’ll once again be partnering with Saber Interactive throughout the year to deliver a similar level of content and features to what you experienced in 2020. To get more specific for our next upcoming Spring 2021 update targeted for release at the end of the quarter, here’s a high-level bulleted overview:

• New Weeklies
    • Finally, after three years and popular demand, we’ll be looking to expand the roster of weekly outbreaks for the next update. We’re currently looking to do two new weekly modes for Spring and hoping to keep a similar cadence for the rest of the year so that we can double the number of weekly modes by the end of the year.
  • Seasonal Event:
    • New Objectives, Achievements, and Rewards for first-month post-release
    • New Seasonal themed Cosmetics, bundles, and return of free Cyberpunk Ticket drops
  • New Map
    • Partnering with the community creator Sean 'synchaoz' Nielsen to bring another popular community map into the official fold that fits the event theme.
  • New Weapons
    • Developing 1 new weapon that will be available as a paid bundle as well as a new HRG Weapon that will be free for everyone.
  • New Quality of Life Improvements and Balances
    • The team continues to scour the surveys, forums, and community messages to improve the UX experience of the game based on your feedback in targeted ways as well as adjusting weapon and perk skill values to improve the overall balance of the game. A big thanks to everyone who participated in our state of the game survey. The data you provided is invaluable in helping us prioritize which batch of weapons and skills we target per update.
  • Bug Fixing
    • As usual, the Spring 2021 update will include a litany of fixing to content and features for both big and small issues. Additionally, sometime before the release of the Spring update, we’ll be looking to do a hotfix primarily centered around improving the most recent Elysium map for any issues that we didn’t quite have the time to address before the December release. Full details and changelog will be forthcoming as we are confident in nailing down a release timeframe.
  • Beta Previews period for Steam and EGS PC before full release
    • As we have for the past several updates, the Spring 2021 update will feature an open opt-in beta period weeks before release that will allow you all on those platforms to try the new content out early, provide feedback and give us that crucial information to polish and improve the update’s content before launch on all supported platforms. Full details for how to participate as well as feedback survey link information during the Beta period will be provided with the Beta changelog at the time of release. As we want to make the best possible first impression for you all that will participate in these Beta, target dates and cadence of the beta schedule will fluid as we undergo full testing leading up to us opening up to you all.

In the weeks leading up to the first beta for Spring, we’ll get more into the nitty-gritty details of everything I outlined above through our regular Merc Reports so stay tuned for more information. Looking beyond Spring, we have a full complement of quarterly updates planned for the year for Summer, Fall, and Winter which we look to outline to you ahead of time as we get closer.

As you learn what we have in store for the coming year, I do want to address some long-standing requests by many folks in the community asking for significant systems and balance overhauls towards the game. While it is still our fervent hope and objective to continue improving the game with the regular quality of life tunes and improvements, the current age and complexity of the current engine and systems make these larger requests increasingly difficult without a major restructure which in it itself is risky and it’s not something we feel we can commit to in a timely manner. It’s critical, we maintain the state of the game and be able to create new content that you have come to expect from our seasonal events and ongoing support for all platforms. We understand this may lead to some disappointment but we want to be open and clear with you about our expectations. That said, Tripwire and Saber are fully committed to delivering the best content and improvements possible and continually reviewing your feedback and response to drive us towards better quality and experience for all our users.

I want to once again thank the community for their overwhelming support and passion for Killing Floor 2. It drives in everything that we do to continue supporting the game and adding new fun elements. We hope you all have a happy, healthy, and safe new year. See you all on the Killing Floor.

David Amata
Product Director

Last edited:
I work for Tripwire and run this stuff.
View all 245 featured items
Reactions: C H O N K Y
Well, let me be the first one to say that the balances of the game do not really require a complex engine system. The way some perks are really really overpowered like the gunslinger, medic, berserker, fire bug make the game really really easy and make hell on Earth look like a walk in the park. And I'm not saying this because I want these perks to be nerfed, I like the way they are but the other perks should be able to keep up.
Buffing the other perks by only changing the numbers is a great solution, for example give the SWAT movement speed, and give him more passive skills like the ammo bag. His pistol and knife skills can be passive for him as well as for the commando.
The survivalist could really use a higher magazine size, Ohio movement speed, less recoil, higher HP.
I've seen the code and it does not require a lot of coding to implement these. most of the time you are going to change the default properties of the class or copy and paste a function from a class to another because they are inherited from one another. (Ex: from GS to SWAT classes you can copy the modifyspeed function as well as adding the passive property)
You are not going to do a lot regarding the maps or the weapons so I would really really expect some balance perks and balanced bosses instead because your survey was huge consisting of 24 pages. I really do expect that you're balancing would be on that scale

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good Lord, take the game into your own hands. Saber did a lot of crap in 2020, lots of bugs and lags. 1 official map per year? Seriously? The game is rolling into WW Z and many are outraged by this. I am eager to imagine what will happen this year. And after the release of Cyberpunk 2077, do you seriously hope that the cyberpunk event in KF2 will be of interest to anyone?

Upvote 0
I do want to address some long-standing requests by many folks in the community asking for significant systems and balance overhauls towards the game. While it is still our fervent hope and objective to continue improving the game with the regular quality of life tunes and improvements, the current age and complexity of the current engine and systems make these larger requests increasingly difficult without a major restructure which in it itself is risky and it’s not something we feel we can commit to in a timely manner.​
Well, that's a massive bummer, as that's the only thing I'd want personally (that and some HRG weapons for Commando and Sharpshooter, who's gotten 0 love in that department). And from what it seems, proper balancing is what MOST people have been wishing for, and likely a big part of the reason why the community's outcries feels so neglected...

Sigh

I know it's pointless, but I'm linking my stuff to you, again:

Upvote 0
And after the release of Cyberpunk 2077, do you seriously hope that the cyberpunk event in KF2 will be of interest to anyone?
The Cyberpunk stuff has been a recurring thing in the game for years.. what does it have to do with Cyberpunk 2077? Don't imagine fake issues to be "outraged" at as there are already enough real problems the game has. :rolleyes:

Well, that's a massive bummer, as that's the only thing I'd want personally (that and some HRG weapons for Commando and Sharpshooter, who's gotten 0 love in that department). And from what it seems, proper balancing is what MOST people have been wishing for, and likely a big part of the reason why the community's outcries feels so neglected...

I agree, I wasn't expecting any major changes because it's looking like KF2 is nearing its end of life phase. But I didn't think balancing counted as major changes.

All in all I'm looking forward to the weekly updates. Still waiting on that KF3 announcement though ;)

Upvote 0
Hrg helios rifle to Commando?
There's plenty of idea:

• HRG M14 - Pretty basic weapon. Slowfiring automatic rifle, can't think of any particular gimmick.
  • HRG Oculus - Helios Rifle tweaked into using energy/laser/light. Primary fire fully automatically, albeit rather slowly, shoots thin hitscan laser beams with good damage and high penetration (microwave damage, no ignition). Alt fire emits a scanning energypulse, travelling through walls - all enemies hit by the pulse (including invisible ones) are highlighted and visible through walls for a moderate period of time. This scanning alt fire uses rechargable energy (similar to healdarts), uses 100% of the energy on use and is rather slow to recharge.
  • HRG Accelerator - HMTech-401 modified into a pure combat rifle, with stronger calibre (i.e. higher damage). Has slow RoF initially, but gains a lot of RoF the more it is continually fired (short gracetime before it starts losing RoF). Can toggle fullauto and semiauto.
  • HRG Bullet Hell (prolly my fav idea for Commando) - Flamethrower remade into a metalball-spewing machine gun of sorts, with hardhitting bouncing bullets, dealing Bludgeon damage! Primary fire shoots fully automatically, alternate fire could potentially launch a "shotgun swarm" (10 ammocost and projectiles launched) - if altfire is done, this could be a weapon for both Commando and Support. Note: Canister contains liquid metal.
Just... anything...

Reactions: Rash and Aleflippy
Upvote 0
-Okay, I'll admit you surprised me about the Weeklies. Didn't expect to see any more of them. I do hope they'll be fun to play, and that they'll still have a reward tied to them. I also hope we'll get less "weak" ones... Because the big heads, the "getting smaller" and inflating zeds quickly got old. But hey, that's good news. I won't be an ass, like my usual self.

-I...Really don't care about seasonal events anymore, even more so about the Cyberpunk one. Because there's very little things making it Cyberpunk at all : the zed skins are the same, no map truly feels Cyberpunk, and the few weapons which have that tone aren't necessarily tied to the event. But I guess it's tradition at that point. No jokes though : if a third game ever comes out, I hope you'll either reinvent some events or drop them out entirely.

-A new map, in itself, isn't really a seller. It will all depend on how it looks. Apparently it's tied to the theme? Hopefully, we'll be fighting in a city stuck into everlasting night, with tons of neons.

-Oh... So we're back into the 2 new weapons schedule? I mean, considering it was the main appeal of the previous updates, it's a bit disappointing. Albeit understandable. We now have many, many guns in the game. It's kinda hard to come up with truly new stuff. Plus, if it allow you to focus on newer, better things like the weeklies, I'll gladly accept the trade-off.

-Quality of Life improvement... That's the part I'm the most worried about. Not because you might shake up the balance of the game, but quite the opposite : you might do very little. And judging by your late comment, it's probably what will happen. I'm not asking for an encylopedia-worth of balance changes to read, but the latest "QoL improvements" where like 2-3 weapon tweaks and one skill you barely modified. That's like the bare-minimum. And it really begs the question if you're taking this seriously at all or not.

And I obviously join @Aze on that matter : the main thing the community is crying for at the moment is precisely balancing, careful tweaking and meaningful changes. So knowing that it's pretty much impossible (...apparently?) is really heartbreaking. Still, I believe the perfect parting gift towards KF2 would be a big ass overhaul. I can picture it like this : you announce a new game (KF3? A spin-off? Whatever ! ), and in the mean-time, you stop releasing content for KF2 because you're fully-focused on KF3. Except in the shadows, you're working on that big balance patch, for as long as it might take considering the limitations brought up by the system. Cue one year later, just a few months before KF3 launch... BOOM! Big balance patch to bring everyone back one last time !

@Patros : Yes and no actually. It is true that the first game got neon skins, but it wasn't exactly tied to a broader "Cyberpunk" trope. Killing Floor 2 wasn't that much more into Cyberpunk for quite a while : Spring was pretty much the "theme-less event". I believe it truly got attached to the Cyberpunk idea two or three years ago at best. And even then, it feels kinda shoe-horned because only the cosmetics truly feel Cyberpunk.

So were they inspired by Cyberpunk 2077? ... Probably not. Obviously, CD Projekt didn't invent the cyberpunk aesthetics or tropes. If we gotta point up whatever they have plagiarized, it is probably Akira or Blade Runner, since everything that followed pretty much took inspiration from these two piece of fiction.

Upvote 0
  • New Weapons
    • Developing 1 new weapon that will be available as a paid bundle as well as a new HRG Weapon that will be free for everyone
dont like this only one weapon peer events ths means 4x weapons in one year instead of 8x this smell like a adjustment for all this ppl crying about high prices for DLC weapons ,,you get less but cheaper,,

Upvote 0
kf2banner.jpg

As a follow up to our State of the Game 2020 message, I would like to give you all a peek into our plans for 2021 with the Season Updates so that you have some clarity in what we’re hoping to accomplish and target for the year. I want to strongly emphasize that all these plans are subject to change as we progress through development, go through iteration and playtesting to see what works and makes the cut for release.

For 2021, we’ll once again be partnering with Saber Interactive throughout the year to deliver a similar level of content and features to what you experienced in 2020. To get more specific for our next upcoming Spring 2021 update targeted for release at the end of the quarter, here’s a high-level bulleted overview:

• New Weeklies
    • Finally, after three years and popular demand, we’ll be looking to expand the roster of weekly outbreaks for the next update. We’re currently looking to do two new weekly modes for Spring and hoping to keep a similar cadence for the rest of the year so that we can double the number of weekly modes by the end of the year.
  • Seasonal Event:
    • New Objectives, Achievements, and Rewards for first-month post-release
    • New Seasonal themed Cosmetics, bundles, and return of free Cyberpunk Ticket drops
  • New Map
    • Partnering with the community creator Sean 'synchaoz' Nielsen to bring another popular community map into the official fold that fits the event theme.
  • New Weapons
    • Developing 1 new weapon that will be available as a paid bundle as well as a new HRG Weapon that will be free for everyone.
  • New Quality of Life Improvements and Balances
    • The team continues to scour the surveys, forums, and community messages to improve the UX experience of the game based on your feedback in targeted ways as well as adjusting weapon and perk skill values to improve the overall balance of the game. A big thanks to everyone who participated in our state of the game survey. The data you provided is invaluable in helping us prioritize which batch of weapons and skills we target per update.
  • Bug Fixing
    • As usual, the Spring 2021 update will include a litany of fixing to content and features for both big and small issues. Additionally, sometime before the release of the Spring update, we’ll be looking to do a hotfix primarily centered around improving the most recent Elysium map for any issues that we didn’t quite have the time to address before the December release. Full details and changelog will be forthcoming as we are confident in nailing down a release timeframe.
  • Beta Previews period for Steam and EGS PC before full release
    • As we have for the past several updates, the Spring 2021 update will feature an open opt-in beta period weeks before release that will allow you all on those platforms to try the new content out early, provide feedback and give us that crucial information to polish and improve the update’s content before launch on all supported platforms. Full details for how to participate as well as feedback survey link information during the Beta period will be provided with the Beta changelog at the time of release. As we want to make the best possible first impression for you all that will participate in these Beta, target dates and cadence of the beta schedule will fluid as we undergo full testing leading up to us opening up to you all.

In the weeks leading up to the first beta for Spring, we’ll get more into the nitty-gritty details of everything I outlined above through our regular Merc Reports so stay tuned for more information. Looking beyond Spring, we have a full complement of quarterly updates planned for the year for Summer, Fall, and Winter which we look to outline to you ahead of time as we get closer.

As you learn what we have in store for the coming year, I do want to address some long-standing requests by many folks in the community asking for significant systems and balance overhauls towards the game. While it is still our fervent hope and objective to continue improving the game with the regular quality of life tunes and improvements, the current age and complexity of the current engine and systems make these larger requests increasingly difficult without a major restructure which in it itself is risky and it’s not something we feel we can commit to in a timely manner. It’s critical, we maintain the state of the game and be able to create new content that you have come to expect from our seasonal events and ongoing support for all platforms. We understand this may lead to some disappointment but we want to be open and clear with you about our expectations. That said, Tripwire and Saber are fully committed to delivering the best content and improvements possible and continually reviewing your feedback and response to drive us towards better quality and experience for all our users.

I want to once again thank the community for their overwhelming support and passion for Killing Floor 2. It drives in everything that we do to continue supporting the game and adding new fun elements. We hope you all have a happy, healthy, and safe new year. See you all on the Killing Floor.

David Amata
Product Director
Please fix servers and conections. Why is there not an option where you can host your own games? I have to play with 200+ ms everytime i want to play with my friends on group, it's so sad.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
While I am pleased to see Outbreaks getting some long-awaited additions I was wondering if a few minor QoL changes could be made.

1/ Can votes (to kick or skip) be adjusted so they don't interfere with the Trader? Being hindered when in a rush is never fun.

2/ Can 'receive ammo/grenades' be given a higher priority OR moved to a different means (button change or something) because it's pretty frustrating how many Demos and 'Supports' feel the need to press right up against the pod making it impossible to interact with them.

3/ With regards to Elysium, although I'd not be against this as a global change, can respawning players be put near their dropped weapon/s as it seems really unfair to get unlucky as one wave ends and then have to beg/struggle afterwards.
Ideally dropped weapons shouldn't time out - a caveat I'd recommend being that a player could drop no more than 2 weapons (or just 1 if people feel strongly enough). In the event that doesn't get the popular vote then perhaps an extension on the timer would be a fair compromise.

Upvote 0
So, when do you plan to actually make something out of that vestigial upgrade system? +1 weight, + bit 'o damage isn't exactly the most spectacular idea, you know.
I kinda thought you'd include some creative options. Underbarrel harpoon launchers, fancy holosights - hell, just being able to change the ammo to something different (antipersonnel fragmentation rpg anyone?).

Upvote 0
So, when do you plan to actually make something out of that vestigial upgrade system? +1 weight, + bit 'o damage isn't exactly the most spectacular idea, you know.
I kinda thought you'd include some creative options. Underbarrel harpoon launchers, fancy holosights - hell, just being able to change the ammo to something different (antipersonnel fragmentation rpg anyone?).
"Me too kid..."

Honestly, the upgrade system is on the long list of things Tripwire tried with KF2 and didn't follow-up with. I doubt it will get much more changes anymore... Maybe in KF3? Although they hinted that the game may actually be more linked to the Objective mode so I don't know.

I was a bit mitigated when the idea of an "upgrade system" was brought up. I thought it would hinder the "uniqueness" of most of the guns (similar to how I thought crossperk would limit the interest of having a very heterogenous team). But it surely wasn't. In fact, it barely changed anything (even though it's fun to pick a T1 and turn it into a T5 and let chaos ensues)

But yeah, that'd be neato to get something a bit deeper. Maybe not "Call of Duty Modern Warfare" levels of customization. But at least some interesting tweaks and tradeoffs regarding more components of your gun. I personally would play the M14 EBR waaaay more if it didn't have that massive scope.

Upvote 0
Hoping the map will be Advent Bunker Down.

Personal preference change: Make spontaneous ZED explosions have headshot explosion as well as body halved dismemberment if killed with a headshot.
No offense as you're obviously allowed to have your own opinion but... I hope not :/

The layout seems fairly unique and interesting. But boy am I tired of this map aesthetic... I'm clearly fed-up with futuristic labs.

(I totally follow you on the ZED-explosions though. Life would be better if we would just EXPLODE TO SHREDS as we die)

Upvote 0