• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Yet another american-glorifying ww2 game(BiA 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jack said:
Anyone find it interesting that Drakon2k is from Austria?

I mean everyone wants to point fingers at the nationalities with regards to "glorifying" this or that, or skewing viewpoints.

So in the same way people like Drakon seem to think being American determines your views, maybe being Austrian does the same.

I mean think about: 9 times out of 10 the people ranting about "American glorifying" are from former members of the Greater Reich, like Austria or Germany....doesn't that seem a little funny?
Oh c'mon man, that's just stereotyping!

It's like saying: OMG you are Americans, and you nuked Japan, that must be good!

Upvote 0
So what there from Germany and there getting sick of games in which the brave noble Americans shoot down a million 'Nazi bastards' and win the war single-handedly. Dosen't seem at all funny to me. I'm sure if there was a game in which Americans were being shot and killed and portrayed as the devil you'd be up in arms as well.

Anyhow this topic is getting a bit raunchy innit. Hell i woulden't even mind being the Americans in WW1, time to get over Normandy!

Upvote 0
Jack said:
I mean think about: 9 times out of 10 the people ranting about "American glorifying" are from former members of the Greater Reich, like Austria or Germany....doesn't that seem a little funny?

Perhaps that has to do with the fact that Austria and Germany both have a quite good and free educational system, whereas in the US, to have a proper education, and thus knowledge based on facts rather than on rumor and hear-say, you have to be rich. (I know there is more to this, but I don't want a discussion about education systems... just pointed out the very basics).
As i have distant relatives in the US, my Grandparents go there quite often. And after every trip, they have at least three stories of the horrendous state of the base of knowledge of americans, ranging from the usual "Austria, yeah, the country with kangaroos" up to "Mozart was American! Vienna? What's that supposed to be?"

But to get back to topic: I don't think that the "glorification" of america is the worst part about that game, but the way it is played. I guess it will be just as repetetive and awkward like the other two, just with better visuals.

Oh, and on a sidenote: I personally can live with glorification of americans, but what I don't like is that this glorification almost always goes along with a "demonisation" of our fathers and grandfathers. They are portrayed as bloodthirsty, fanatic, "sub-human" creatures. Guess that's why so many Germans and Austrians dislike it.

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
Perhaps that has to do with the fact that Austria and Germany both have a quite good and free educational system, whereas in the US, to have a proper education, and thus knowledge based on facts rather than on rumor and hear-say, you have to be rich. (I know there is more to this, but I don't want a discussion about education systems... just pointed out the very basics).
As i have distant relatives in the US, my Grandparents go there quite often. And after every trip, they have at least three stories of the horrendous state of the base of knowledge of americans, ranging from the usual "Austria, yeah, the country with kangaroos" up to "Mozart was American! Vienna? What's that supposed to be?"

But to get back to topic: I don't think that the "glorification" of america is the worst part about that game, but the way it is played. I guess it will be just as repetetive and awkward like the other two, just with better visuals.

Oh, and on a sidenote: I personally can live with glorification of americans, but what I don't like is that this glorification almost always goes along with a "demonisation" of our fathers and grandfathers. They are portrayed as bloodthirsty, fanatic, "sub-human" creatures. Guess that's why so many Germans and Austrians dislike it.
Couldn't have said it better :)

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
As people may or may not know, I am canadian. Being canadian automatically makes me an expert observer of things american. It's a national pastime.

I hate to burst your bubble but you're no more likely to encounter worldly ignorant people in the U.S. than you are anywhere else.

As per the state of the american education system, I read a very interesting article once written by a senior official in the Singapore education system. Despite seeing test scores that were considerably higher than similar american school systems, Singapore was considering changing to become more like the U.S. Why? Because their current system is heavily based on rote and memorization. Essentially, the educational system was being "gamed" to produce higher test scores. Their graduates could write tests, but couldn't think. Singapore, being inhabited by smart people, wants to change this. You may note that they did not decide to emulate the austrian or german education systems. Take from that what you will.

So, let's not fall for the media-friendly, "americans are stupid" mantra that seems to be so popular these days. At the very least, americans are smart enough to recognize where their major market is and to focus on that. It sucks if you're not american but let's not get all bitter about it.

And that, hopefully, will be the end of american and austrian bashing in this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Upvote 0
DingBat said:
As people may or may not know, I am canadian. Being canadian automatically makes me an expert observer of things american. It's a national pastime.

HEhehe, made me laff :D

About the whole Bia Malarkey: What in the world is the reason for changing the history, will the game sell better because of it, and is that the reason for doing it?

Upvote 0
Only thing that bothers me is that in games like BiA or CoD,or in example the movie Saving Private Ryan(I did like the movie)is the fact that somehow Americans manage to climb on a tank,drop a frag grenade in and it blows the tank...

1.No normal german tank crew wouldnt secure the hatches when they saw infantry approaching.
2.A frag grenade(the american and british one)relies on shrapnel to kill the enemy so I fail to realize what damage shrapnel could do inside of a tank(besides killing the crew,that doesnt make the tank blow up).

Upvote 0
DingBat said:

I hate to burst your bubble but you're no more likely to encounter worldly ignorant people in the U.S. than you are anywhere else.

As per the state of the american education system, I read a very interesting article once written by a senior official in the Singapore education system. Despite seeing test scores that were considerably higher than similar american school systems, Singapore was considering changing to become more like the U.S. Why? Because their current system is heavily based on rote and memorization. Essentially, the educational system was being "gamed" to produce higher test scores. Their graduates could write tests, but couldn't think. Singapore, being inhabited by smart people, wants to change this. You may note that they did not decide to emulate the austrian or german education systems. Take from that what you will.

So, let's not fall for the media-friendly, "americans are stupid" mantra that seems to be so popular these days. At the very least, americans are smart enough to recognize where their major market is and to focus on that. It sucks if you're not american but let's not get all bitter about it.

And that, hopefully, will be the end of american and austrian bashing in this thread.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Wow, more fellow canadians, and he is right, except the american curriculum contains most things about America, and not enough about other countries, as Dingbat has been there, Canada does very little history about itself, whereas, the Americans to most of it on themselves

Upvote 0
2 World History classes are in the curriculum for public schools and 2 American history courses. These are forced. On the other hand, there are many history electives not focused on America. I am just talking about middle school and high school here.

So if that's learning too much about yourselves then I completely disagree. If anything we should learn more about ourselves and our government as it helps the country as a whole in the political sense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Moz said:
I dunno dingbat, I think thats because most of north america is pretty stupid.
Get 50 miles out of any major canadian city and the IQ drops SHARPLY.

Being stupid and being ignorrant are different things.
Thanki you so very much
Talk about Ignorrant, you are very if you think it is Major Canadian Cities.
**** you, i live in a hick town, and we are way less Rednecks that most Americans think we are.
Our school systems are worse, because everyone knows everyboddy where i live. We have, 2 outta 40 kids under 80% in Grade 12, one of them is retarded.
We aren't ****ing little rednecks.
That is the most ignorant statement i have heard for a long time

Last edited:
Upvote 0
futurenhler said:
Thanki you so very much
Talk about Ignorrant, you are very if you think it is Major Canadian Cities.
**** you, i live in a hick town, and we are way less Rednecks that most Americans.
Our school systems are worse, because everyone knows everyboddy where i live. We have, 2 outta 40 kids under 80% in Grade 12, one of them is retarded.
We aren't ****ing little rednecks.
That is the most ignorant statement i have heard for a long time
Oops calling most Americans rednecks is quite ignorant.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.