• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Realism Questionaire!

{2.SS}Switzer said:
So if I got a job at McDonalds and some manager instructed me how to properly cook the food, would it be fair to call him an elitist? Because I take pride in something I do, its history and do it in the manner that it was founded, doesnt mean Im "elitist".

In my experience, clans are only there to provide servers so their good players have a place to beat up on a bunch of hapless noobs. My mission is to be on the opposite team of the inevitable clanstack and even the damn score.

This is especially true, of course, if said clan is pretentious enough to steal their stupid name from a real military division whom they have no relation with.

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
wait stop posting for a minute. I have to go make more popcorn. :rolleyes:

LMOA!

Anyways. I apologize to anyone I offended, honestly. It is not my intention to make enemies here. I can come off stuck up, but its because Ive been doing this for a long time and can be a ***** sometimes. But I had fun blasting back and forth with some of you guys. The veiws I expressed are my own and not those of the 2.SS!

So, once again, Im sorry and lets get to talking about more positive topics!

www.das-reich.org- come visit or website and say hi, Ill be nice, I promise.

Upvote 0
Some people (like me) love the feeling of immersion of playing with a historical unit, you dont have to worry about leaders getting power hungry because those who abuse there power are swiftly taken care of.

I agree 110%. Nothing I hate worse than a bunch of political sillyness going on in squads about who gets what power. I don't really care about having any power at all, I just want to feel like I'm in an organized group and have fun as well.

Upvote 0
As Olson said, the 3rd ID has been around for over 5 years and is rooted in history over all that time. It was founded by Cpt. Higgins, his younger brother, Stark, Ski, and the former XO Hunkeler (now MSgt. Hunkeler upon his return) and began in Day of Defeat beta. When Call of Duty came out in late 2003 the 3rd ID moved to it and obviously adopted the United Offensive expansion as well when it came out in late 2004. As of November 2005 we've been a Call of Duty 2 unit. The current commanding officer remains Cpt. Higgins with 1Lt. Donovan in the XO position.

I would have to say the 3rd ID and 1st SF/SS rank among the oldest realism units out there. The 1st SF/SS began in MoH: AA years ago. They can be visited at www.1stsfss.com and the 3rd ID can be found at www.3rd-infantry-division.net.

Cpl. Manary [3rd ID]

Upvote 0
DirtyRat said:
Realism units in my honest opinion are overrated.

Dont get me wrong their are some excellent examples out there of how it can be "done right", but this type of thing doesn't appeal to everyone looking for teamwork and match play (which lets face it is the main reason for joining clans)...in C3ll for example everyone is equal, everyone has a say, and everything is decided diplomatically...in a realism unit if you join as a low rank player, you have to tow the line, and I guess some people find this adds to the immersion - but overall I think it must be giving the leaders a powertrip!

I am the head admin of C3ll, but their are many things i would like to do, that are voted against...thats democracy...

I've always associated Realism with "gameplay" rather than having the real life clan set up like that, i would be interested to know how this works in reality?

No offence intended here, but i had considered joining a realism clan many years ago, and decided against it, and i would be interested to hear others experiences.
Hmmm. Well you know we don't pull rank for everything that goes on. Any major changes in the unit are voted on and even the newest lowest ranking Private has a say so once they graduate BCT. It isn't a matter of a power trip at all and if it was I wouldn't participate in this unit...period. If you have something to say it can be said and will be taken under the utter most consideration all the way to the top. The reason for rank is leader ship responsability and accountability. There is a saying "What we giveth, we can taketh away." -FSgt. Townsend. No one is given rank becuase there is an opening. That opening will stay vacant as long as there is no one capable of properly filling it. End of story. Rank is never abused and every persons rights are respected. You show the proper respect to your superiors just like anywhere else in life. But it isn't lorded over any one. So please do not at all lable any realism unit with a rank structure. It is used in the field of battle more than anywhere else, becuase they are experienced.Edit: And towing the line everyone must do to get a feel for it. You have to learn to follow before you can learn to lead.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Roger. In this society everyone is taught to LEAD LEAD LEAD!! Only loosers follow. Only people with no ideas follow. Do your own thing, its better then everyone else. We are just crammed with that crap allllll day long. School, work, tv, family and friends. And its flat our WRONG. As the previous people posted above me shows.

Upvote 0
Well, I have to say that this thread makes a lot of us Marne Dogs blush, especially those of us who were around to witness a lot of it. I remember being taught CORD (Close Order Rifle Drills) by a then, Cpl. Townsend (Now our First Sargeant on a very early version of Avalanche. I myself have been in or around the Third Infantry Division for about 3-4 years.

What a lot of people don't know or forget is that the Third Infantry Division was founded by World Way II reenactors. So it was almost a given that whatever unit that they started was going to be as close to the real thing as virtually possible. Like reenacting without having to put on the uniform and actually go to an event, sort of a shortstop when you couldn't go to an event.

As far as ranks and command structure, power has nothing to do with it, organization and directions, however does. Each rank has their own responsibilities and tasks. You can't ask a buck private to so the same administration duties that some of our Command Staff do, they don't have the time in grade, nor the experience. That doesn't mean that if they have a different or better way of doing things that they aren't allow to pass it on.

We do what we do because we love it and we enjoy it and I feel, in my own personal opinion, that after all these years we're still unique and still striving to better ourselves and the community around us. I still don't think I've seen any other unit perform and upkeep some form of CORD. ;)

I would think that out of any game those who play RO should know and respect what a realism unit is and does. The very nature of the game is to make gameplay as realistic and immersive as possible, what other game has you maunally work the action on a rifle?

Sorry if I've come off brass. I take pride in my fellow comrades, my unit, and its history.

Private First Class Brett Segal,
Third Infantry Division, 15th Regiment, K Company

Upvote 0
I'm not quite sure where "Tactical Realism" came from, none of us can really put a finger on it. I think to a certain extent we (3rd ID) came up with it in order to set down ground rules for what a realism unit might want to consider when setting up a server, i.e. dealing with bunnyhopping and the ever controversial topic of "Running and Gunning". From there it got picked up by different units and got changed and warped into whatever. It seems to be a source of controversy and steamed tempers. Mostly because it had a lot to do with CORDTRA I think, which blew up.

This thread has turned today into a nostalgic day for us in the Third. We're all sitting on Teamspeak remembering DoDHQ, past members, jokes, etc.

We're also putting together a history pack of the unit and to an extent the realism community. It'll include a sort of family tree of all the units and such.

Upvote 0