• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Baksan Valley = Worst map? (merged)

Helmut_AUT

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
Sorry for the rant, but who came up with this map for the Retail?

I've played it two times online now. Both times the same thing happened: Two of the good russian players picked the SVT and raped the germans.

With a KAR, you are chanceless against a SVT. If you miss the first shot, you bolt. (manual, so it takes even longer). He can just shoot 5 or 6 times more.

With a MP40 against a SVT, you're chanceless as well. Unless you fight at close range, the SVT will be more precise and kill you faster.

I continued using bajonett against the russians - just to find out that buttstroke kills more reliable than bajonet attack.

All in all, this map re-defines "screwed up gameplay". Nothing even remotly funny about it.

The server admin ended up switching maps after the second round because no one wanted to play a third round. So it wasn't just me.

Should have died with the mod. Danzig for example would have been much prettier and more interesting.

To each their own. I think Baskin is the the best map they ever made.

It is non-stop tension, with close contact assaults. There are so many little quirks to the landscape that you can approach every objective by a multiude of points of attack.

I can't think of another map I find as satisfying every time I play it.

As for the SVT, it isn't like the Germans do not have their own semiauto rifle. The Germans win that map all the time. It is the most balanced of any map available.

Upvote 0
DieFledermaus said:
To each their own. I think Baskin is the the best map they ever made.

It is non-stop tension, with close contact assaults. There are so many little quirks to the landscape that you can approach every objective by a multiude of points of attack.

I can't think of another map I find as satisfying every time I play it.

As for the SVT, it isn't like the Germans do not have their own semiauto rifle. The Germans win that map all the time. It is the most balanced of any map available.

I totally agree. I think Baskan is one of the best infantry maps. However, as far as the Germans having their own semi-auto rifle, they don't on that map. The G43 was not around at the time of that battle. I still don't see it as a huge issue. Yes, the map is not perfectly balanced, but it makes it that much more satisfying to win with the Germans. I don't find it be a huge disadvantage anyway. I can keep my distance with the kar, use nades, or sneek up with the mp40.

Upvote 0
Personally, I hate the SVT. I take a MN over it any day and twice on Sundays. I find I can't aim nearly as precisely with a SVT as I can with a bolt action.

Sure, the SVT may own me up close, but he's mine at any sort of reasonable range.

The SVT is actually a poor compromise weapon. It's not as good as a smg up close, and it's not as good as a bolt action at distance.

Of course, YMMV.

Upvote 0
DingBat said:
Personally, I hate the SVT. I take a MN over it any day and twice on Sundays. I find I can't aim nearly as precisely with a SVT as I can with a bolt action.

Could be because the IS-model is held way too far away from the face on the SVT, making the crosshair extremely small and precision shots difficult. Kinda looks like you're holding it while stretching your arms out.

Upvote 0
Baksan is one of the best maps there is. I think it's taylor-made for veteran players so newbies understandably struggle in it. Please play it some more before posting your opinions.

As far as SVT goes I simply love it. Along with the g43 and stg, it's one of the best weapons overall. It may not be as accurate as bolt rifles but you have to be shooting at very long range to feel the difference, and I'm not a long-range fighter anyway.

I think those two matches were simply unbalanced because of wide gaps in skill among the players and not because of general unbalance in the map.

Also don't forget that RO is a team game. Various weapons may have obvious advantages at certain situations but it's all supposed to balance out when everyone and everything at large is taken into account. methinks.

Upvote 0
Personally I really think that baksan doesnt get enough love. It is a really fun map if you can get 2 squads that will work together, one holding one cap while the other assults. I also find the STV to be little trouble to deal with as a kar or an mp40. If you try to go 1v1 you have a good chance of winning, but if you actually play like a real squad and suppress the guy and flank him he will go down pretty darned fast.

Upvote 0
The only thing I hate about Baksan is the random artillery, it seems to stalk me where ever I go. In terms of layout the map is balanced. Many times the map will end in a draw, in the old mod days this happened all the time. You can't expect to win by running around on your own. It takes a few organized players to win it. 2 SVT40's doesn't give the Russians a huge advantage when the Germans have 4 MP40's. The SVT is less accurate then a bolt and a slow rate of fire compared to a SMG. One thing I've noticed with SVT users is that they will panic and fire off their whole mag when you get too close, which gives you the opportunity for a bayonet kill.

Upvote 0
DieFledermaus said:
As for the SVT, it isn't like the Germans do not have their own semiauto rifle.

Not on this map. On this map the germans have a short range automatic weapon (MP40) and a long-range bolt-action.

Many times when you exit the german spawn and just pass the old mill you already get shot by some SVT sniper sitting in the church. With the bolt you're too slow to reload if you miss, and with the MP40 you can't reach him. It's a real unbalance.

Upvote 0
Munk Polkadot said:
Baksan is one of the best maps there is. I think it's taylor-made for veteran players so newbies understandably struggle in it. Please play it some more before posting your opinions.

I've played Baksan a hundred times - in the mod. I don't "struggle" with the concept or layout. I'm not a newbie. And it wasn't as bad before.

But the removal of the StG44 simple means that one or two good SVT snipers will run, hip-shoot, snipe the hell out of any german with a KAR.

The MP40 is only good if you can get in close, but if the guys with the SVT sit up there looking down on you, you will get shot.

It's an unbalance, simple as that. One side has long-range semi-autos and SMGs, and the other side only has SMGs. I can't see how this is supposed to be balanced.

Upvote 0
[RWTD]Ghost[BCthc] said:
Eh, the way I see it is that the war was not balanced. If the G43 was not available at the time it should not be included on the map.

Fair argument. But on the other hand, in November 1942 the germans had an awesome MG42 in many squads, two of them for some units, and the russians only had a crappy DP, not even one in every squad.

But I don't see any MGs on that map either. So why give the germans their historical disadvantage without their historical advantage?

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Not on this map. On this map the germans have a short range automatic weapon (MP40) and a long-range bolt-action.

Many times when you exit the german spawn and just pass the old mill you already get shot by some SVT sniper sitting in the church. With the bolt you're too slow to reload if you miss, and with the MP40 you can't reach him. It's a real unbalance.
Cause this game is based on Realism?

Upvote 0