• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pixelhunting: serious problem.

Scoobin said:
However, a wide FOV for general play and a more narrow FOV for concentrated aiming is more realistic than both, because what happens when you aim? You block out a bit of your surroundings to put all your viewing power onto one object. At this moment in time an iron-sight zoom is the best way to implement this.
FOV isn't just "less or more" extra screen shown on the sides of your monitor. As you can see from the pics posted things get closer hence "zoom". So switching from one FOV to a different FOV while IS'd is completely unrealistic. FOV is static for everyone except sniper. Maybe some of you guys should try playing in 800x600 and see what you think (plus you'll get a performance boost).

Upvote 0
Quietus said:
FOV isn't just "less or more" extra screen shown on the sides of your monitor. As you can see from the pics posted things get closer hence "zoom". So switching from one FOV to a different FOV while IS'd is completely unrealistic. FOV is static for everyone except sniper. Maybe some of you guys should try playing in 800x600 and see what you think (plus you'll get a performance boost).
Please read my post again so you understand what I'm saying.

EDIT: I just tested the theory that low res is easier to play than high res. I played Basovka(? - the one in the grass without tanks) x2 once in 800x600 and once in 1280x1024. This test is by no means 100% conclusive so feel free to disagree...

Conclusion: 800x600 is far easier to hit the target while 1280x1024 is far easier to see/identify the target. I'd say 800x600 would be better for most shots and 1280x1024 would be better for only super long distance shots where you couldn't identify the person otherwise. Personally I get same fps with both so I'll stick with the higher res for my graphics sake :)

Theory on why: I put the easier aiming at low res down to having less pixels to point at being easier to shot (eg whats easier to find, a giant orange pixel amongst 4 yellow ones or 1 tiny pixel amongst a million yellow ones? I put the easier identification at high res down to having more pixels allowing a more accurate picture to be drawn (eg drawing a soldier out of 4 giant pixels is impossible but using 1 million will easily allow you to come up with something that represents a soldier). I think in the future when monitors resolutions are double or quadrouple what they are now this neck and eye strain etc won't be such a problem because distanced objects will still have a large number of pixels used to render them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
FYI I run the game at 1280x1024 res on a 19" Sony monitor. I suffer from farsightedness (hyperopia) and have an astigmatism in my right eye, and am blind in my left. To see anything CLOSER than about 400 yards clearly I require optical correction. That means I wear bifocals or reading glasses from the time I get up until the time I get to sleep. I wear my reading glasses when on the computer, which means I have to sit where my eyes are exactly 17" from the monitor to see without eyestrain.

I have no problems at all using the iron sights on ANY weapon on the game, at any range available in the game.

I have HDR bloom turned off, as well as coronas, to help get everything as sharp as possible in-game. Yes, the front sight blade is sometimes hard to see, but guess what, that's the way it can be in real life as well. Thousands of hours spent looking over iron sights in over 30 years of sporting and competitive shooting have taught me that your front sight WILL disappear, most particularly when the target's background is similar in color to your sight blade. ESPECIALLY when the sight blade in question has suffered wear in a combat environment, as witnessed by the surplus military rifles I have fired that had sight blades ranging from darkly phosphated/blued to nearly mirror bright from being rubbed against various surfaces.

However, it isn't just screen resolution, it's also the size of the pixels on your screen. My monitor (Dell labeled Sony 19") has a .27mm dot pitch (pixel width). That's actually a bit on the large size (.22mm DP is the smallest I'm aware of) but allows me to run the higher resolutions with absolute clarity, even with my bad eyesight. A simple rule of thumb is the larger the dot pitch, but fuzzier the image appears. LCD screens can be even worse due to ghosting and extreme pixellation on some lower-quality monitors.

My honest opinion? Leave the game as-is.

Upvote 0
Aint broke....don't fix it

Aint broke....don't fix it

I understand both side to this argument and kinda draw a middle line, lets face it, its a game. We all love the fact that it is quite realistic, i started playing a few nights ago and was scoring kills in my first session. Sure it is fairly hard to hit at long range, but practice makes perfect ...right???? try going assault more and get in closer(go for quantity!!! LOL) if your haveing a hard time. i like the fact you have to use terrain and other factors to get in closer to the enemy, stalking is great fun.

I used to have a k98(the real deal and a bayonet too !!!) and would shoot it all the time. shot way better then the old .303 i had as well. i have to tell you it wasnt easy looking down the sights of the mauser though. the rear sight has a way smaller slit then what it looks like in the game. It also has a serious trajectory drop around 500 meters (check any remington ballistic charts) anyhoo....enough of the memories(gotta get playing again)....by the way.....since im on the topic....

Devs.....love the mauser.....closest one i have seen in animation and sound (had a really deep sounding boom in real life)in any game so far!!!

Keep up the good work!!!

Upvote 0
Something just occured to me why it might be that only some people are complaining. When I first started RO for the very first time the default "render device" was directx9. It was totally unplayable for me like that as everything was a blurry mess. I was wondering what the hell was wrong! I turned off HDR bloom..still blurry! THEN I switched it to "direct3d" in hopes of something better and it worked, all the blurriness gone. So I suggest anybody that's running in directx9 switch it to direct3d.

Upvote 0
Quietus said:
Something just occured to me why it might be that only some people are complaining. When I first started RO for the very first time the default "render device" was directx9. It was totally unplayable for me like that as everything was a blurry mess. I was wondering what the hell was wrong! I turned off HDR bloom..still blurry! THEN I switched it to "direct3d" in hopes of something better and it worked, all the blurriness gone. So I suggest anybody that's running in directx9 switch it to direct3d.

This is probably a driver issue. Most people don't have this problem but quite a few do.

One thing about long range shooting that is very difficult is adjusting to pings, especially since this game does not hold a consistent ping like some others do. I've been playing this game since release and still have NFI how far to lead the enemies by at long range, probably due to the ping and the small size of the target. Playing in practice mod vs bots is fine for shooting really long range.

Upvote 0
Scoobin said:
One thing about long range shooting that is very difficult is adjusting to pings, especially since this game does not hold a consistent ping like some others do. I've been playing this game since release and still have NFI how far to lead the enemies by at long range, probably due to the ping and the small size of the target. Playing in practice mod vs bots is fine for shooting really long range.
Have you tried unchecking "dynamic netspeed"

Upvote 0
I like it the way as it is. I think zoom for ironsights is absolutely awful and makes close ranges combat really hard, which is why I was really glad to not see it in RO. Play a game of Call of Duty or something similar, and tell me if you can use ironsights in close quarters combat naturally.

If you can't hit a target afar, you're not supposed to, which is another thing I like about this game. Also, I hardly think monitors capable of higher resolutions get any kind of advantage, because not only is it a problem of resolution with your monitor, it's also about what your mouse is capable of.

I'm playing the game at 1280x960@2xAA/2xAF@100Hz and I have never even paid this alleged problem a thought. I don't have a very good vision, but not a bad one either. Maybe for older - and I mean older - folks this might present a problem.

If there's a working way to implement this, I wouldn't mind, but as of how it works in most games, a definite no! It makes the use of iron sights in close combat completely impossible.

Upvote 0
An interesting thread.

This is the first game ever that really hurts my eyes. If I play for any real length of time when I am done my depth of field is all screwed up, it is like flattened and shimmery. I have never had anything like that happen and when it started happening a lot and lasting a while after playing I had to stop playing for a few days and now try to limit it to no more than an hour at a time.

This is also the first game I have been able to run at the highest settings on all graphics, including resolution.

But in general I find the rifle aiming WAY harder than in the mod. It is not like it starts to weave after a while, if I am not resting my rifle on something or laying prone it weaves continually from the moment I put up the iron site. On a server with pings over 50 I find it nearly impossible to hit ANYTHING EVER with a bolt rifle now unless it is inside 20 yards. Well not impossible, but what hits I get are total blind luck.

Even kneeling the aiming is VERY hard. I was down in the nook to the back right of the Tower Ruin in Kaukaus, where those ruined pillars are, the right corner hiding in that bush. Germans would come up the hill to the ruined wall beind the tower and I would shoot them. Avto, hit them with one shot. SMG, hit them with one burst, guy after guy. Rifle, which should have the best aim of all, I would fire four or five shots to one guy. Only if they were absolutely stationary did I have a prayer of hitting them. I was in the kneeling position the whole time, so it should have been a stable aim.

Upvote 0
DieFledermaus said:
An interesting thread

It is not like it starts to weave after a while, if I am not resting my rifle on something or laying prone it weaves continually from the moment I put up the iron site.

Then that would be unrealistic, because I have shot rifles in the past and you can hold the rifle still for awhile till you start to notice A shake, and this includes breathing.
Sometimes I notice these Dev's that made the game never shot a gun and they go by what they read in book's. In my opinion this usually makes a poor game. I have seen this too much in games over the years.

I like to add the only reason I love RO so much is, because of its realistic an how close it is to be realistic as in shooting the gun and how they react to wind, bullet reaction when coming out of a certain barrel etc.

Upvote 0