• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ok real question: Will Saber do any optimisation work to make the game run smoother?

s5yn3t

Grizzled Veteran
  • Sep 20, 2015
    As 2020 comes there's no doubt there will be new content.... But rn the game really needs optimisation work for online play.
    Year passed and we are still experiencing 1st time stutters and freezes when we perform 1st action of the game (aka shooting, new zed type spawn, pressing a bind, healing etc.) and some life threatening freezes when some twat joins the game mid wave.

And tbh i mostly suspect its the issue with game's networking and the fact that character file sizes are pretty heckin large... and for some reason it feels as if it downloads the needed assets so that you could see what kind of dressed up clown joins in.
    The files you need already stored locally and you have smooth experience solo without any mentioned 1st time action stutters... yet online the game behaves like escape from tarkov 2 years ago.
    Shouldn't the "Shoving all assets into the ram so everything would load faster" solve the issue?
    Rn all it does is just waste 5 minutes of your time launching without loading anything necessary into the ram to smooth out the experience....
    @Yoshiro

Shouldn't the "Shoving all assets into the ram so everything would load faster" solve the issue?
    Rn all it does is just waste 5 minutes of your time launching without loading anything necessary into the ram to smooth out the experience....
    @Yoshiro

This baffles me, as well. Why am I sitting through this long start up screen/freeze only to have these stutters when teammates load in during trader? Isn't everything in the game being loaded during these few moments we stare at our screens?

Reactions: missing_trigger
    Upvote 0
    The games long load time is it attempting to load as much content into the active memory as it can (this takes longer the more ram and slower hard drive combo you have). For most users it isn't able to load everything, but it can load much of what it needs to keep players from having major hitches during gameplay during a "first load" of some content. We use trader time when possible to do other loads as that isn't in the middle of gameplay and is the least likely to impact the player experience.

We did attempt to add a better dynamic content loading system to UE 3 (not something it supports out of the box) to varying degrees of success and it is used in parts of the game and on certain builds, but it was not as all encompassing as it would have liked and we realized the full realization of what we wanted was well beyond the scope of what the engine team could accomplish at the time for the game for the time and resources allocated.

We will continue to look at ways to improve frames and stability where we/saber can over the life of the game, but do not expect major engine overhauls.

Upvote 0
    If you were actually playing your games at TWI, you would know that the game was OK before you added these 'optimization'. Since this day, it actually made the game have stutter and hitches and 'lags' ruining the experience. Every single first 'something' now creates stutter (first headshot on zed xx or zz or yy....; first whatever every single first thing creates stutter now), it wasn't before these 'optimizations' that are supposed to alleviate these thing, it actually created the problems... I had a better experience when I had worst hardware, before, now I have SSD, and better graphic card, but the game runs like **** compared to before.

Reactions: missing_trigger
    Upvote 0
    On a side note, with Saber, will there be more than 4 seasonal releases? Can we hope for maybe 5 release updates a year?
    As far as I am aware the plan is to keep with the quartly update cadence as it allows the team time to work on major updates and get them tested and submitted to all platforms as needed for the team sizes we are working with here. While other titles recently have pushed more frequent updates, they are doing so with teams in the hundreds dedicated to those games.

Upvote 0