• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server TWI you destroyed my KF2 server's SSD!

Utopia-Phoenix

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Qingdao, Shandong, China
^^topic
this is the report from Crystaldiskinfo of my server, which equipped a Samsung PM981 NVME SSD 256GB
I purchased it at April 15th and it's about 7 months? It's this!

Cache_-18928e53318e304c..jpg

Total read 8.77 Petabytes and a total written of 191.2 TB! Holy **** this is atrocious!

The health condition from Crystaldiskinfo shows good but Aida64 showed otherwise. Aida64 reported 38%- Which means I shall f*ck up this drive with another half a year of Killing Floor 2 server hosting!

I was speechless to TWI. You gonna kick me out of this right? You made it.

• Wow
Reactions: ®omano
This is probably because of the workshop issue existing since almost a year (or more actually), here is a recent bug report I made http://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...p-for-server-excessive-disk-activity.2334733/ after nothing being done since many months of perpetual various reports of problems people noticed with workshop, but nobody was giving proper info. The issue is supposedly fixed in the current beta, but it took so many time for them to eventually have a look at it that it probably destroyed your hardware like I was suggesting in my initial post before oppening this thread..

Upvote 0
This is what happened since I stopped my KF2 server :

1eFo7Cz8s7LrpS5s.png

Impressive isn't it ?

So I confirm that the last KF2 server, from October 2019, not only increases the load average, but it also increases a lot the I/O on the disk, especially the read I/O , I guess this is done when it checks the workshop files, together with the CPU being starved by this task.

Since then, I stopped my KF2 server and I'm waiting for the next patch to be pushed, hopping it will decrease the necessary resources like it was before :p

• Wow
Reactions: infntnub
Upvote 0
Please let us know more info about what version of KF2 the servers are running as well as if it's on Linux or Windows. Changes were made in during beta that was reported to decrease the loads on disks. If this is not the case for your server please let us know more.
I could even provide you the authorization of remote accessing my server by teamviewer, if you want.
Find out what the f*ck is going on and swat it.

Upvote 0
For me, it is the opposite : I can see that the disk loads have gone since the update.
I'm running Linux, and my monitoring graphs now show a much more reasonable use of the disks I/O as well as the CPU that does not spike anymore.

Other server hosters in CN KF2 server group also reported this. I am confirming it.

Upvote 0
I just checked my servers with yuletide official update. The disk issue still persists. I can't believe this!
Maybe it's time to dig in a little and help yourself? you know WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? EXPLAIN, or things like WHAT AR YOU NOTICING EXACTLY TO CLAIM THAT?

The problem lasted very long time before someone who didn't even have/notice the issue actually did some digging and gave something for TWI to look at.
From my experience here even well documented problems can just be ignored so if you try to convince someone here, that will not be with 'game borken, fix it!' but you'll need to provide something relevant, detailed information, things like that, you see?
You don't even tell what operating system you use.

For me the issue is fixed until someone can come with something relevant (for once). Explain in what way you can positively confirm that for sure the issue is here, describe exactly what issue you're talking about, give DETAILS, I know it takes more time than just complaining for the sake of it. I don't say problem doesn't exist, maybe, but I don't believe it and will not, AGAIN, dig in for others when it could have been done by the affected people ONE YEAR BEFORE (yeah old issue is old).

EDIT: maybe also report your findings in the actual bug report I linked above? that's more relevant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As I said in another thread about this issue, the CEO over at NFO in Dallas, Tx. confirmed to me personally that the issue is fixed. High usage for an "Initial" check then it back to normal. He did state however, he hopes the fix is improved. Hopefully, he and Tripwire are still communicating on this as the problem was thrashing all the servers running an instance of KF2 on them. For now..... problem solved but needs improvement.

Upvote 0
As I said in another thread about this issue, the CEO over at NFO in Dallas, Tx. confirmed to me personally that the issue is fixed. High usage for an "Initial" check then it back to normal. He did state however, he hopes the fix is improved. Hopefully, he and Tripwire are still communicating on this as the problem was thrashing all the servers running an instance of KF2 on them. For now..... problem solved but needs improvement.
I'm trying to follow a hunch I have. For reference, I'd like to know from those still having an issue about how many subscriptions to items on the Steam workshop your servers have?

Upvote 0
@Kittenmittens Right now, I only loaded up 10 custom maps on ONE of our servers. I will probably load more now that the beta is over.

Previously, before all this started long ago, I had around 25-30 custom maps loaded on 4 Survival servers, 15-20 on 3 other servers and around 10-15 on the one Weekly server. It all ran fine up to one update long, long ago that started the issues we are discussing.

Upvote 0
The new instance update from December has much much less disk pressure. They represent (on the right) about 10% in peak of what the buggy behavior (on the left) used to show (from October's update)

View attachment 2334821

I also confirmed this. The server had much less disk pressure as well as CPU and network pressure!

Before this there is around 1 TB of traffic per DAY according to router records. Now it's less than 10 GB.
Before this the CPU load is always 30+ and frequently peak to 100. Now it's 20% at most, usually less than 10.
Needless to say about the disk.

PS: The condition of my server is remote visible. Click below.

Upvote 0