• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Maps too big?

I dont know, if the germans use the half-track it really makes the map feel alot smaller. In the last 4 or 5 times I've played the map as germans I have won simply becuase I held the bunker (even if it was just me). Its a good CA sized map becuase it really does require the use of vehicles to win. I mean if you dont use the guns on the HT to defend the control tower you are in trouble and you all so need to use the HT to move troops around the map. In my most recent game the germans managed to hold pirimiter defenses for at least 5 minutes and I was almost never alone camped out down in the bunker.

Upvote 0
It wasn't really the Germans I was thinking about, since the size of the map negatively impacts the Russians who have to attack all of the greatly spaced out objectives alot more than the Germans, who just get to chill in the middle of the map for the most part.

If the Russians had some sort of mass transport (Zi5 *sniff*) it wouldnt be as bad, but as it is the most amount of Russians who can travel in a vehicle towards an objective is two, it is very difficult to keep a squad together. And I'm talking about pubs here.

It would be cool to be able to convoy with cars and tanks, but since the spawns for the armor and the infantry are also very far apart this isn't even possible.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
In the last 4 or 5 times I've played the map as germans I have won simply becuase I held the bunker (even if it was just me).

Thats what Im talking about!

You shouldnt defend the bunker by yourself only! If the map didnt have 4 objectives to defend/attack at the same time, it would concentrate the players in one particular area.

Upvote 0
lazlazlaz1 said:
Is it true that you spent ages doing nothing or travelling? Or do you get good constant fighting?

Hmm, maybe you should stick with COD2 then. This game has more ambience, mood and immersion in two mouse clicks than COD has after years of dev.

Thank God there aren't obvious bottlenecks with signs that say "Come here to Die", I'm a tanker and looking at Arad or Ogdegelow or Banderevo there are obvious flanking options and good cover up the centre(s). Just wish there was more opportunity to engage beyond 800 mtrs. Otherwise.... bestest game ever.

Upvote 0
malice said:
It should take up 1 sprint to get to the first objective. Thats from the mapping forum where someone posted (might have been Sas) that your first you should be able to reach your first objective without getting tierd.

Sounds like a qauke-style setup if you ask me... who came up with that sort of a rule? Is this supposed be some sort of generally accepted attitude to map design? I would certainly hope not.

In RO, I've found running headlong into the objective area is the quickest way back to the respawn area, if you get my drift. Furthermore, I save my energy levels for when I have to run away from a certain area - not to it. Its no good being too tired to dodge a grenade, or run behind a stack of crates when three bad people enter a large room/farmhouse.

Patience is a virtue clearly lacking in many players at the moment.

Upvote 0
Pz502_Stacko said:
Sounds like a qauke-style setup if you ask me... who came up with that sort of a rule? Is this supposed be some sort of generally accepted attitude to map design? I would certainly hope not.

In RO, I've found running headlong into the objective area is the quickest way back to the respawn area, if you get my drift. Furthermore, I save my energy levels for when I have to run away from a certain area - not to it. Its no good being too tired to dodge a grenade, or run behind a stack of crates when three bad people enter a large room/farmhouse.

Patience is a virtue clearly lacking in many players at the moment.
Who made that up... let me see... a mapper who has been working on RO for a few years :)
This rule of thumb is not about Quaking RO:O, but is a proper guidline for your spawn and objective setup, to aid people who are less experienced on creating good flow and pase on their infantry maps.
Putting spawns further away then this will drain the speed out of your map for sure. It by no means Quaking your map. It's at full running speed, which means anyone with a brain or less haste will have all the time and space in the world to advance tactically. It is also a rule which makes it possible for people to have some stamina left when they reach the objective, which is pretty important for me since running is something I use moving around tactically when i finally reach the objective.

It's a simular rule to: Make your objective area's as large as you possibly can and place them close to eachother if you can. A rule of thumb like this 'stimulates' fights over objectives, because if you manage to cover your main gameplay area with objective area, people will almost automatically find themselves inside objective zones.

Upvote 0
I see what you are saying. It is evident in many of the maps. The running to the first objective in Basovka or Baksan Valley, and the objective areas touching each other like in Koenigsplatz. But from a vehicle perspective (which is what I am interested in) I like Bondarevo's fredom of movement as opposed to Arad's rather more restricted tunnels or channels of traffic.

Anyways, I gotta pull the foot out of my mouth, I guess I am like some of the other posters in that I am more than accepting of OFP's travel time but I realise that is unfeasible for fast paced action. Your talking to a guy who'd like to see a 60 wait put into respawning... maybe then ppl wouldnt trade their lives so cheaply.

Upvote 0
Well, to some degree it's true, some maps seem to be too big for the amount of players. I must say that it often feels quite empty and lonely on the battlefields, and more than often you have to travel small eternities to get back to your squad (that probably has been killed and thus has to walk to the front like you, just moments later). I agree that vehicles need bigger maps to be effective, but especially the inf-only maps are a bit too large, as they allow people to scatter all over the map, thus disabling any war-like situations and introducing some "everybody in his own foxhole"-style of playing.

On the other hand, I've played CoD2, which definitely has maps that are way too small, getting you killed all the time because the spawns of the teams are too close together.

But in my point of view, some of the maps in RO (Kaukasus, StalingradKessel, all other inf maps) would play better with 40 - 50 people. Although those maps are rather small, compared to other RO-maps, they still seem underpopulated to me. Too bad this can't be cranked up because of engine limitations.

Upvote 0
S!,
I disagree w/ the map size. If anything, there should be even larger maps. Leave it to the kiddies to whine and complain about having to speed 2 minutes running to the action:rolleyes:

In the future, I'd love to see super large maps for tank warfare. Mix in a couple of villages for the infantry to capture, and you have the best mixed maps yet.

So kiddies, if you don't like the 'large maps of RO', head back to COD2. You won't be missed.

HB

Upvote 0
JV44HeinzBar said:
S!,
I disagree w/ the map size. If anything, there should be even larger maps. Leave it to the kiddies to whine and complain about having to speed 2 minutes running to the action:rolleyes:

In the future, I'd love to see super large maps for tank warfare. Mix in a couple of villages for the infantry to capture, and you have the best mixed maps yet.

So kiddies, if you don't like the 'large maps of RO', head back to COD2. You won't be missed.

HB
You never played Kalinin did you? lol
That map was pretty big and open...infact thats all it was haha.
heres a few pics of the map thanks to After-Hourz:
http://www.after-hourz.com/ro/modul...ame=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Upvote 0
KIPPO said:
Download it via steam and make a backup if you want it on a disc, I'm from UK and can play it. Plus it'll be cheaper than buying it retail.

How long did it take you to download it, cause installed its around 2gig isnt it?
Obviously it will be compacted i assume but say ya crash durin DL or cant do it in one go for any reason does it resume from where it left off? (anyone).
Cost wise am i roughly correct in sayin $2 to the uk

Upvote 0