• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design What MOD maps Would you like to see in OST?

I'm much more interested in looking forward and seeing new scenarios than porting stuff. That said, I wouldn't mind Jucha because it's fun and just so lovely. I wouldn't mind a map with the feel of Kharkov or Danzig, but only really the feel. So basically a snowy urban map and a rainy urban map:D. Of non-official maps, I would really like to see Wilsa River in retail.

and please, just say no to koitos and warsaw.

Upvote 0
I would love to see Jucha re-made because it was awesome fighting in an idyllic village setting. It was great setting up LMGs in windows and fighting in the churchyard.
Was like The Eagle Has Landed (film&book).

Also I very much enjoyed Rostov, Berlin and Donets. They were all good even though they would need to be made much larger for 32 players.

Upvote 0
Manstein said:
I would love to see a new map with the old Kiev feel, I'd undertake it myself if I weren't such a mapping newb

While it might take longer to do, think of what you'd learn. Even if the map is a total failure you'd come out of the experience as a much better level designer.

I'm certainly willing to sign up as "consultant" on such a project.

Upvote 0
REZ said:
Well, you guys do good work, here's to your next map!
anjhatsoff2nd.gif

Thanks Rez, I'm working alone on a new map but nothing to say for the moment :D

Upvote 0
Can't understand the obsession with some of you people for hanging onto the old stuff and wanting to see ports of old maps - I have only ever encountered this with Red Orchestra - I recall a brave few level designers attempting it on Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004 and even then they were massacred by the community if it wasn't up to scratch - I can only remember a few that actually made it through in one peice and played so if you have a shopping list of old 'favourites' forget it - it aint gonna happen - Ostfront is a step forward and big leaps have been made by the designers in opening up the designs and steering everyone away from the old stuff and showing the rest of you the potential for bigger more extreme battlescapes - I'd like to see that continue personally - move level design forward not backwards - make maps that thrill people with the 'new' gameplay elements, the new material you can introduce and all the new art content - above all it's the thrill of creating a brand new map with a brand new scenario - that's what I'm looking forward to - I certainly have never made a port of any of my old Unreal Tournament maps and I have no intention of doing so - they were 'one off' creations for that particular game - sure I could have converted them over with newer bells and whistles but I probably would have been accused of trying to hang on to past glory in an attempt to rehash a level that played particularly well on some servers - not good for the original creator and certainly not good for players who crave for something new

So - my advice is if you ABSOLUTELY have to port an old map for whatever reason you better make damned sure it's good - and when I say good I mean tons of new stuff - a face lift of monumental proportions and a 'homage' to the original - not a copy - you will be laughed out of the building

Lruce

Upvote 0
i totally agree with lruce. the best example of what a port SHOULD be is the official kalt for dod:s. even though the game drives me nuts, the port is absolutely beautiful, both paying respect to the old map and improving it to take advantage of the source engine.

for this reason (among others) i will not be porting redsquare over to ost. instead, i plan to make a new map taking advantage of all the new art the team pumped out (thank you guys!) as well as the greatness that is OST combined arms.

Upvote 0
Lruce Bee said:
Can't understand the obsession with some of you people for hanging onto the old stuff and wanting to see ports of old maps - I have only ever encountered this with Red Orchestra - I recall a brave few level designers attempting it on Unreal, Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004 and even then they were massacred by the community if it wasn't up to scratch - I can only remember a few that actually made it through in one peice and played so if you have a shopping list of old 'favourites' forget it - it aint gonna happen - Ostfront is a step forward and big leaps have been made by the designers in opening up the designs and steering everyone away from the old stuff and showing the rest of you the potential for bigger more extreme battlescapes - I'd like to see that continue personally - move level design forward not backwards - make maps that thrill people with the 'new' gameplay elements, the new material you can introduce and all the new art content - above all it's the thrill of creating a brand new map with a brand new scenario - that's what I'm looking forward to - I certainly have never made a port of any of my old Unreal Tournament maps and I have no intention of doing so - they were 'one off' creations for that particular game - sure I could have converted them over with newer bells and whistles but I probably would have been accused of trying to hang on to past glory in an attempt to rehash a level that played particularly well on some servers - not good for the original creator and certainly not good for players who crave for something new

So - my advice is if you ABSOLUTELY have to port an old map for whatever reason you better make damned sure it's good - and when I say good I mean tons of new stuff - a face lift of monumental proportions and a 'homage' to the original - not a copy - you will be laughed out of the building

Lruce

:(Sniff:(
Because we miss the maps we grew up on...

Upvote 0
I was hoping maps like Raatteentie, Stalingrad(simply another&better stalingrad map with many ruins and buildings to get in to). Then the last but not the worst Viipuri. I hope that some map maker would be interested of these few and would do somekinda research from the history about them, that maps would be realistic.;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0