• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rant: video games nowadays

SiFi said:
Also, sometimes a company will decide that they "need" a bigger playerbase for the sequel to their incredible action/platformer set in ancient persia, so they add in more acrobatics (which is good), more combat options (which is nice), then dumps them both into a disjointed story with horrible voice acting and an ugly "gothy" look, that just doesn't come together in the way the first one did. Besides destroying all the character progression that happened in the first game. Thereby destroying the loyalty of the fans of the original.

I'm assuming you're referring to Prince of Persia 2: The Warrior Within.

I actually liked the look of the game and the concept that the prince has been on the run day and night for years from an unstoppable creature. However, the execution was horrendous. Numerous bugs existed in the game - and I'm talking game-ending-oh-my-god-I-have-to-****ing-start-over??? type bugs that corrupt your saved games. It's also the first console game I've ever played where I fell through a map....

In addition, only by reading a third-person walkthrough on IGN was I made aware that I needed to get a certain weapon in order to fight the Dahaka creature. Without this weapon, you only fight the queen, which is far less satisfying. But unlike, say, Ocarina of Time's Biggorron Sword, there is no way to backtrack and acquire any sand tanks you missed (the key to getting this weapon).

What pisses me off is they don't TELL you that you need this. I mean, yeah, extra sand tanks are great for your health, but they should not be a requirement for fighting the main villain of the game.

Upvote 0
Got it in one :)
*winces* Those bugs sound pretty damned bad. Through the map? 0.0 Glad that I had the pc version, at least. Horray for patching! :)

I haven't even bothered to finish either WW or TT. They just don't have the same pull to the end that the first one did. I think that, technical bugs aside, the games just didn't gel in the same way the first one did. There was no sense of purpose (I think, at least). And, as stated, voice acting was particularily bad.

Upvote 0
@Jamer: Is Iron Storm the one where WW1 never ended? I tried that one out, but got horrendous mouse lag. Should I try it again?[/quote]

SciFi YES ! The setting is 1964. War torn Europe is ripped apart by a 50yr war with no end in sight and a deeply entrenched frontline runs straight through the heart of germany dividing the allied and enemy troops.
Released in 2002.
Good Gaming ! ! !

:)

Upvote 0
Nostalgia is the cause of most these rants.

If you had slapped Halo 2 or any other recent games onto my console back in mid 90's I don't think I would have ever got out of the house. But now we are jaded by the fact that the graphics are taking bigger leaps than the stories, or so it seems, Goldeneye had the most basic of stories. Go out and kill ***** no in-depth story behind the characters, limited cutscenes, and dialogue. But if we look at Halo 2 we think its not very good because the combat or the story seem lame. But in reality its waay more advanced than even five years ago.

Upvote 0
Regarding the new PoP trilogy: I actually liked all three because all of them got the curve nicely to be challenging and still not frustrating. I also liked the atmospheres of all of them. Due to the changes, every part felt like a new game, and not just like an extension to the old one with new levels.

Generally, i have to agrre though that most of modern games (and movies BTW) lack the je-ne-sais-quoi old games (and movies) had. But perhaps that's just because I myself changed ;)

And lastly: I really would like to have a sequel of the Crusader series. No Remorse and No Regret are one of my alltime classics.

Upvote 0
I seriously agree with this author's post...

I have had a lot more fun with videogames in the past then now...

During my SNES days... Most games were so fun and so addictive...
Contra, MegaManX2

Megaman X2 was one hell of a hard game... but soo freaking fun...

These days... its like 1 game out of 10 is good...
if not 1 game out of 20

Tie Fighter was one of the best, most amazing flight fighter I ever played...
2 years later, Tie Fighter VS X-Wing.... Sucked.

I will disagree with the author about Residen Evil... yes its easy, however I have had a blast playing it... but thats mostly because I eint no fan on the previous Resident Evil Puzzels...

There are still many good games comming out, but for one to be as fun, as perfect and addictive as the good games we had previously... well... thats hard to find.

Upvote 0
God of War for PS2!!!

Original, for sure. I loved the controls and the attack system, the flow of the movement. Stringing together sweetass combos was easier-done than in PoP, which is good; I couldn't swing a sword for **** in the new PoP games, even though I tried and tried.

The story was well-told, if somewhat repetitive. Guy gets fed by the power of Ares, kills his family, and wants to repent, etc. etc., but you don't know that until almost the end of the game.

Some of its "puzzles" were painfully lame and others relied on obscure pathways that look like they're concealed. Some parts, like the part where you're in the Underworld, took considerable skill to complete.

And I am having a great deal of difficult finishing it on God difficulty. I got halfway through Mortal and quit, the game just being too god damned easy. I switched to Spartan, the hardest you can start on before beating the game, and finished it eventually. I'm in the Desert thingy now, trying to find the ****ing sirens.

Great game. :)

Upvote 0
and not to forget the old LucasArts Games:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis! Just found it somewhere and revisited all those marvelous places.

Plus I still play AlphaCentauri, which still has the best opponent AI of any turn based game imho

Maybe the games of today seem easy to us, because we have been playing for such a long time, so those old games seem harder from our perspective of today (although doom2 is still very hard on my GBA :) )

Upvote 0
Oldih said:
Hmm..... what platform? I think I might have played that game....

PC! Don't know if it was made for Amiga though. Still, the best Indiana Jones Game there is, followed closely by Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Yeah, Lucas Arts games where all great, but looking glass delivered some fine games too, like Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri.

And I guess the greatest difference between gaming back then and gaming nowadays is that it has become a business even surpassing hollywood concerning the money involved. Back then, people made games they'd enjoy themselves, whereas nowadays most games are made to make a profit.

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
Regarding the new PoP trilogy: I actually liked all three because all of them got the curve nicely to be challenging and still not frustrating. I also liked the atmospheres of all of them. Due to the changes, every part felt like a new game, and not just like an extension to the old one with new levels.

I definitely enjoyed the atmosphere of PoP, but I have to disagree about the difficulty. Maybe it's just me, but I found the game to be quite frustrating by the end. I enjoyed the jumping puzzles FAR more than the combat, so maybe it's a personal quirk.

One thing I dislike about console game developers is their seeming sadism. Some games, the difficulty just ramps up so fast and so high that soon I feel like I'm working, not playing. The first boss on Ninja Gaiden is one of the harder ones in the game for god's sake! And no difficulty setting.

I applaud developers who remember it's a game. Example: Need For Speed Most Wanted. If you failed a boss race enough times, the difficulty ramped down. It was seemless and almost unnoticable but it kept you from getting frustrated.

I don't want to work at a game, I want to have fun.

Upvote 0
DingBat said:
I definitely enjoyed the atmosphere of PoP, but I have to disagree about the difficulty. Maybe it's just me, but I found the game to be quite frustrating by the end. I enjoyed the jumping puzzles FAR more than the combat, so maybe it's a personal quirk.

One thing I dislike about console game developers is their seeming sadism. Some games, the difficulty just ramps up so fast and so high that soon I feel like I'm working, not playing. The first boss on Ninja Gaiden is one of the harder ones in the game for god's sake! And no difficulty setting.

I applaud developers who remember it's a game. Example: Need For Speed Most Wanted. If you failed a boss race enough times, the difficulty ramped down. It was seemless and almost unnoticable but it kept you from getting frustrated.

I don't want to work at a game, I want to have fun.

if you want frustration, play f-zero gx. That is the definition of true hardcore gaming

Upvote 0