• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Uniforms Discussion (Merged 18 times!!)

VoxStellarum said:
Hey all!

Why Germans don't have winter uniforms? For example, in Stalingrad Kessel map Russians wear their winter camouflage but Germans not. And Germans are quite easy targets in most snow maps. I think seeing German winter camos would be very nice .) What do you think?

Sorry, if this already been discussed.

The decision to allow the Soviets to have white camouflage snow suits as opposed to the Germans was a deliberate one. During the early years of Germany's experience on the Eastern Front, winter clothing and camouflage was scarce and not fully distributed until most of the damage had been done after battles such as Stalingrad in 1942. Secondly, we wanted to give German infantry the advantage of blending in with greatcoats and tunics when inside of a building and the Soviets outside with snow suits during winter engagements.

I hope that answers your question.

Upvote 0
Uniforms Discussion (Merged)

Uniforms Discussion (Merged)

Seen this in the Red Orchestra Mod and thought it would
be awesome to implement into Ostfront. You could have a
menu in the Main Menu that would allow you to choose from
a couple different uniforms for each level/regiment.

Ex-

I go into the menu and scroll to "Waffen SS", I would then have a
list of different uniforms like an Autumn Pea Dot Tunic and field grey
pants, or a Summer Pea Dot Tunic and field green pants etc.

Then if you are "Waffen SS" in another level, it would also apply
to that level too.

I think this would add so much to Ostfront, it would really add to the
immersion too, having almost everyone on your team look different
from you.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
More uniform artwork (along with weapon artwork etc) to provide visual variation, however I will say that you should not be albe to choose your appearance. I know that it would be helpful for clan play (oh so VERY useful) however haveing random player models makes the deat of a comrad that much more real becuase their face doesnt pop back up again (immediately, or at least linked to the same player).

Upvote 0
Speakin of skins, would the SDK allow for player model skinning???

I've been skinning for Day of Defeat Source and have gotten pretty
damn good at it lol. Maybe they could hold a contest [as daschewy said]
and have some community skinners make some nice skins off of a
provided base.

Heres an idea of what I can do with DoDs......

Upvote 0
Zbojnik
If they put in more different colored uniforms than that would rock. The thing is being able to choose wouldn't be too good. Having your whole team in different uniforms would look real stupid. BTW like your skins.:D
Yeah that would be kinda wierd, but what if you had a vote at the begining of each round to determine what uniform your team was going to use? And it doesn't have to be for the entire team, it could be half the team wears 1 type of uniform and the other half wears something different. And it could work like this...
1. Server decides whether or not to turn this mutator on (I assume it would be a mutator). Some might disable it if they feel it gives to much of a advantage (some uniforms might look like the other team's or be innapropriate for that battle, so there needs to a be a way to make sure only certain uniforms are on certain maps). And servers can add their own skins to list to vote from (you already downloaded them when join the server for the first time). The server also decides whether you can pick one of the uniforms or if it given to you randomly when you spawn.
2. Vote begins before the next round (during the wait time between rounds or the warmup time if its a new map) automatically or by pressing a key (or just how the map vote works, you can jump in before it pops up automatically).*
3a. The uniform in first place and second place are chosen.
b. The uniform in first place is chosen but the other uniform is simply default.
4. You now have 2 different uniforms per team. Combine this with different classes and random faces and you have a lot people who don't look alike.

*I don't know what to do in the event of a tie. Any suggestions on that would be great.

Upvote 0
You could just have each map designate the units fighting and the clothes they wear. Like if it was an SS battle there would be SS uniforms to fit the scenario. In your menu there would be different sections of uniforms to select such as Early SS uniforms and Late SS uniforms (with that special camo) and then regular german infantry uniforms, and then winter german uniforms and then maybe even fallschrimjaeger uniforms if were lucky and then you would have the Russian equivalents.

Upvote 0
maybe it would be a good idea to allow the player to choose for example whether to be wearing a hat or no hat, shovel or no shovel, helmet or hat, gloves or bare hands, etc... so that the uniform is still the same but there is a bit of variation between players. this would probably be most realistic because especially in combat not every soldier is going to be carrying every piece of equipment by the book. some might leave their shovels, hats, helmets, etc... behind.

Upvote 0
Serbian Hajduk
maybe it would be a good idea to allow the player to choose for example whether to be wearing a hat or no hat, shovel or no shovel, helmet or hat, gloves or bare hands, etc... so that the uniform is still the same but there is a bit of variation between players. this would probably be most realistic because especially in combat not every soldier is going to be carrying every piece of equipment by the book. some might leave their shovels, hats, helmets, etc... behind.
Oooh... good point. Unfortunatly I would imagine this taking a lot of time for the devs to make new skins and then modify all the models by taking certain things off (shovels, etc.). Of course I'm sure the community could lend a hand :D ;).

Upvote 0