• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

When weapons are shot out of people's hands...

smokeythebear said:
Anyway i say all weapon ammunition should be part of the gun, its still more "realistic" then dying/having you weapon shot out of your hands and instantly dumping all your ammo, another plus is that picking up specific weapons is easier without all the ammo in the way.

Heat of Battle for CoD would let you keep your ammo count if your gun was shot out of your hand and you picked it up again, but if you picked another gun up it would only contain what was in the magazine at the time it was shot out. Thats a nice solution, I think.

Upvote 0
z4o said:
I think it would be cool if you only dropped your gun, even when you died. And if the bodies stayed as long as guns do, if you ran to a body you could hit the use key to loot it of ammo and grenades ^^

again that wouldn't work because ragdolls are client side

so while you are searching for ammo on a body it looks to me like you are searching the air

which brings us back to the ammo pouch suggestion

Upvote 0
takadi said:
how about NOT losing ammo when the weapon is shot out? I don't see what's so hard about adjusting some code. It's just a matter of taking away something.

Heh, its not quite that easy, it would take some work.

As far as i can see, RO uses a modified weaon drop class, this is used both for dropping and when weapon is shot out of your hand, hence the ammo drop.
To stop that, you'd have to make a new weapon drop class, not too hard, but you also have to tie it in with the rest of the code, so the game knows when to use one or the other drop class, aswell you have to ammend some code so if a player picks up another weapon than the one he lost, he gets rid of the ammo he has.

Its all doable, certainly, but its not a 5 minute patch job, there is some work involved..

Upvote 0
Actually, I didn't even realize that 'shot out of hand' was in Ostfront...I thought they left it out. Granted, I haven't gotten to play the retail as much as others yet, but if I've played as much as I have and still not seen it yet, then that's a good thing, because it was totally out of hand in the mod and happened as early as my first botmatch in RO.

Again, it's not as bad as in the mod, but I still don't see why they kept it. It's not a realistic feature in the first place (basic physics make it impossible) and the fact that ammo drops as well just makes it even more ridiculously unrealistic. In the mod, they were stuck with the ammo dropping thing, because it was aperantly hardcoded and they couldn't change it. However, given that they have full access to the scource with the retail, I am rather surprised that they've kept it.

IMO, any or all of the following solutions are far preferable to leaving ammo-dropping in:

- remove weapon-shooting-out-of-hands all together
- drop an ammo pouch instead of individual clips and mags
- fix the drop class so ammo can be retained when a weapon is dropped

Upvote 0
[5.SS]Strother said:
So your saying if you get shot in the hands in real life you won't drop your gun?

If you get shot in the hands, you probably wouldnt be able to pick up the gun and return fire anyway.

And any round strong and heavy enough to rip a gun out of a soldier's hands would be strong enough to damage it to a point where it is unusable anyway, at least without repair. Im assuming that most soldiers kept both hands on their weapons, and pretty bloody tightly as well.

Both of the above is why I also feel the feature is unrealistic and should be removed. Add to that the fact that it's not really a great feature anyway, and is frustrating to both the attacker and the victim. As an attacker, if I shoot the weapon out of someone's hands, I have to shoot again to kill them. As the victim, I am left defenceless and death is usually inevitable almost immediately anyway. Why prolong the experience? I don't get much excitement from having to scrabble around for my dropped weapon and ammo, nor do I gain much from having to shoot a target twice. It's just a frustration in my opinion; Im all for removing the feature altogether.

Upvote 0
yea, I'd actually have to agree with you there. I always thought a weapon would go defunct if it were to get a bullet into it. It sounds a little hollywood to me (pistols being shot of their hands). I think if it's gonna be in there, either have it so that the weapon is unusable or so that the ammo doesn't fall out too. If not, then don't have it at all.

Upvote 0