• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Low FPS

Floyd said:
For reference, my sound is on 3DAudio and the System Driver box is checked.

Uncheck System Driver box and check FPS once more. W/ SB Live I'm getting about 8-10 FPS more this way but game crashes randomly w/ error in ctaud2k.dll.

For the record: K7S5A / AMD 2000+ / 1GB Ram / 6600GT 128MB / SB Live / Win2k pro.

Average frames are around 30-50 on empty server, w/ 15-20 people around 18-20fps and full server, bots or real players 9-14fps - all settings maxed out in-game + 4x AA&AF. No change in FPS when everything on low incl. AA&AF.

Upvote 0
Well I my framerates differ dependent on the map and situation.

Estimated FPS ranges:
In practice mode without players/bots: 40-70 FPS
In wide open maps with full server: 25-40 FPS
City maps with full server: 35-50 FPS

Form time to time the FPS rate drops under 20 FPS. Sometimes it's because of much action, but sometimes it's a certain spot on the map which causes a FPS drop.

But overall the game is well playable for me.

My System:
AMD 2400 XP+
ATI 9800 pro
1 GB RAM PC2100
Audigy2

I play on 1280x1024 4xAA, 2xAF everything on highest exept shadows are blob, Hardware3d sound + EAX

Sound and Video settings have no impact on my FPS rates, though the CPU is the bottleneck.

I have not the newest Radeon drivers installed, though I use this driver version which has the optimal performance for my card. It's not always the best to install the newest driver for your card. Especially on older cards you get better performance with older drivers, because newer drivers are performance optimised for the newest cards only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
MadMax said:
Well I my framerates differ dependent on the map and situation.

Estimated FPS ranges:
In practice mode without players: 40-70 FPS
In wide open maps with full server: 25-40 FPS
City maps with full server: 35-50 FPS

Form time to time the FPS rate drops under 20 FPS. Sometimes it's because of much action, but sometimes it's a certain spot on the map which causes a FPS drop.

But overall the game is well playable for me.

My System:
AMD 2400 XP+
ATI 9800 pro
1 GB RAM PC2100
Audigy2

I play on 1280x1024 4xAA, 2xAF everything on highest exept shadows are blob, Hardware3d sound + EAX

Sound and Video settings have no impact on my FPS rates, though the CPU is the bottleneck.

I have not the newest Radeon drivers installed, though I use this driver version which has the optimal performance for my card. It's not always the best to install the newest driver for your card. Especially on older cards you get better performance with older drivers, because newer drivers are performance optimised for the newest cards only.
Your not the only one's I have the same problems with low FPS, It get's worse when Sound is playing :(

Specs

AMD64 3200
2Gig
ATI X850XT (Latest Drivers)
X-fi Fatality FPS soundcard (latest Drivers)

I play @ 1280x1024, 2xAA NoAF High to med settings and average about 30/35 in practice mode with the default Bot settings, I've given up trying to tweak the game now and am back playing COD2 for now mainley....

I just dont understand why the game insists on playing with such low FPS when more advanced engines out there run twice as quick, and all this is with a clean formatted system...

Just gonna wait for some magic patch from TW which I hope can fix these issues....

Upvote 0
I feel your pain lol, I think im gonna wait for it to be fixed (if it can). I hope there will be a patch what will fix it rlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy wannaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa play this game. I mean I can play it with the highest settings but I get low fps, it is just anoying getting low fps because when im geting shot my mouse moves rly slow n gets me killed if you know what I mean. It makes the game play bad.

Upvote 0
@Jobe

I don't know what you can exspect with your system. But having frame rates over 35 is just fine for RO. This is not CS or quake where you make super fast movements.

In practice mods with bots I get 20-30 FPS. I meant no players and no bots on practice mode.

BTW: I tried the demo of CoD2. I had to reduce all settings to the lowest, where it looked completely shitty, and still I had FPS rates about 20-30 only.

Upvote 0
MadMax said:
@Jobe

I don't know what you can exspect with your system. But having frame rates over 35 is just fine for RO. This is not CS or quake where you make super fast movements.

In practice mods with bots I get 20-30 FPS. I meant no players and no bots on practice mode.

BTW: I tried the demo of CoD2. I had to reduce all settings to the lowest, where it looked completely shitty, and still I had FPS rates about 20-30 only.

I'm not expecting it to run at 200/300 FPS like COD2/Quake3 etc , But I expected to be atleast 60/70 capped with no drops what so ever with the default amount of bots in practice mode. Is that to much to expect from the Specs I have compared with your's ?

Upvote 0
Jobe said:
I'm not expecting it to run at 200/300 FPS like COD2/Quake3 etc , But I expected to be atleast 60/70 capped with no drops what so ever with the default amount of bots in practice mode. Is that to much to expect from the Specs I have compared with your's ?

What do you want to hear? I would have guessed that RO would run faster then 35 FPS on your system, but I can't tell you what you should expect with your hardware. The game runs smoother then compared to the old RO mod for UT2K4 for most people. If you get only low FPS with your system you probably configured something wrong.

Upvote 0
falconik said:
What you mean I configured something wrong???? How can I fix it?

Optimations
-disable unused programs
-defrag your hard drive
-install best working drivers for video and audio
-configure windows swap file rigth, 3-4 x the size of the memory, single page file, constant size
-optimize bios settings

I can't explain all in detail that's way too much, sorry.

There is a tweaking guide of the Redorchestra.ini file.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4974

Upvote 0
1.AR[GSC]=[ENIGMA]= said:
Uncheck System Driver box and check FPS once more. W/ SB Live I'm getting about 8-10 FPS more this way but game crashes randomly w/ error in ctaud2k.dll.

For the record: K7S5A / AMD 2000+ / 1GB Ram / 6600GT 128MB / SB Live / Win2k pro.

Average frames are around 30-50 on empty server, w/ 15-20 people around 18-20fps and full server, bots or real players 9-14fps - all settings maxed out in-game + 4x AA&AF. No change in FPS when everything on low incl. AA&AF.

Thanks, but fortunately I don't have the fps problem. I run 50+ on most maps (some brief dips to 20 on occasion). I threw that out as an FYI for those guys. I'll play around with the sound settings and see what happens, though.

Floyd

Upvote 0
I have: AMD Athlon XP 2800+
Nvidia GeForce 4 mx (or fx lol i forgot, but i think mx)
512 mb ram.

I get average 15 fps. When i'm in houses, or i look on the ground it shoots up to like 30. Sometimes i just ocmpletely disconnect the game getting the low fps... it just seems to unsmooth. I hope theres a way we can improve fps..

Upvote 0