• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Looking for a new counter to this tactic

ViViD

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 2, 2005
There is a tactic that is making the tank class almost unplayable especially on ARAD.

A sapper in an armoured car zips around behind a tank instantly jump out throw a satchel and zip off again.

Normally I am the driver and I am the first to see the armoured car, I normally take off and get my gunner to traverse to the rear, but most times the armoured car zips everywhere and unable to get a shot on him. We normally are knocked out by a tank while dealing with this armoured car.

I tried ramming an armoured car but unfortunately no damage is done to the car, theorically I should be able to crush it.

MG guns against the armoured car is ineffective.

This tactic is not possible for the germans as either the half track is too large a target or a lot slower.

Realisticly this is not a viable tactic in real life as getting in and out of armoured cars are not a instant thing. But for the gamey people out there I still need a tactic against it.

We can get about a 40% Success rate against the armoured car issue, but dealing with one armoured car constantly really gives us no chance to fight against the tanks, they respawn so fast and get in the armour car and zipping around till they get in behind us and I spend all the fight trying to take out these armoured cars.

Oleg said:
Tank n000bs who constantly vote for Arad deserve everything bad that happens to them :p :D

You really added some of your mental knowledge here you better lay down before you pass out, otherwise you will lose both of those good working brain cells.

On a side note this is not just about ARAD it happening on most tank maps, so maybe the picking up of a panzerfaust is the way to go, also I totally agree instant exit for tankers is not a realistic thing, I am just after a way to counter this tactic.

Upvote 0
Why not just shoot the armored cars before they become a factor? Learn to lead and to range - they're not that hard to kill. Make them regret using those tactics. :)

On Barashka today, I was a German in a PIV overlooking the Peninsula bridge. The Russians would occasionally make a push across, so I'd stay and pick them off from the hill.

On four or five occasions, a BA-64 would make a mad run either across the peninsula bridges or across the ice (sneaky little bastards). It was great gunnery practice from my hull-down position, plugging AP rounds into the little suckers as they raced along at 40kmph. Sometimes the thing would flip and the guy would get out, standing on the side of the tipped over vehicle. I'd pop a round in, the vehicle would explode, and the guy would go flying 50 feet in the air.

Eventually, they just stopped coming. :)

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
Why not just shoot the armored cars before they become a factor? Learn to lead and to range - they're not that hard to kill. Make them regret using those tactics. :)

On Barashka today, I was a German in a PIV overlooking the Peninsula bridge. The Russians would occasionally make a push across, so I'd stay and pick them off from the hill.

On four or five occasions, a BA-64 would make a mad run either across the peninsula bridges or across the ice (sneaky little bastards). It was great gunnery practice from my hull-down position, plugging AP rounds into the little suckers as they raced along at 40kmph. Sometimes the thing would flip and the guy would get out, standing on the side of the tipped over vehicle. I'd pop a round in, the vehicle would explode, and the guy would go flying 50 feet in the air.

Thats besides the point, most people play this game so they dont have to deal with immersion-ruining tactics like that. What do you say to the tiger or STuG crew who go up against smacktards like that?

Upvote 0
ViViD said:
There is a tactic that is making the tank class almost unplayable especially on ARAD.

A sapper in an armoured car zips around behind a tank instantly jump out throw a satchel and zip off again.

Normally I am the driver and I am the first to see the armoured car, I normally take off and get my gunner to traverse to the rear, but most times the armoured car zips everywhere and unable to get a shot on him. We normally are knocked out by a tank while dealing with this armoured car.

I tried ramming an armoured car but unfortunately no damage is done to the car, theorically I should be able to crush it.

MG guns against the armoured car is ineffective.

This tactic is not possible for the germans as either the half track is too large a target or a lot slower.

Realisticly this is not a viable tactic in real life as getting in and out of armoured cars are not a instant thing. But for the gamey people out there I still need a tactic against it.

We can get about a 40% Success rate against the armoured car issue, but dealing with one armoured car constantly really gives us no chance to fight against the tanks, they respawn so fast and get in the armour car and zipping around till they get in behind us and I spend all the fight trying to take out these armoured cars.

Simple answer to this problem is don

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:

Yeah that's all good, but how about when you're trying to fight enemy tanks in the south field of Arad while a BA-64 is charging out of the village every 30 seconds and madly zig zagging it's way to your flank?

Or how about when you're in a Tiger and your turret cannot traverse fast enough to even get a shot at the bastard?

Or how about when you shoot one dead on in the front with a 75mm AP round from your Panther and by some defiance of realistic physics it ricochets, rather than going in one end and out the other :mad: (I've had ricochets off of BA-64's even hitting them dead on in the arse while they were fleeing from me).

BadKarma said:
Simple answer to this problem is don

Upvote 0
Maybe if the Satchel was made more realistic as well people wouldn't find this so tempting. The Satchel as it exists is like the equivalent of a 1000 pound bomb, no matter where you drop it, as long as it is within a certain radius of the tank, you destroy it.

If the Russian actually had to throw the satchel onto the top decking or something, then he couldn't just drive up, toss a Satchel, then run away.

Upvote 0
countertactic (it works. i tested it):

drive your tank from spawn to ther german village.
pick up the panzerfausts there (2 or 3)
charge with your tank into the battle.
if you spot the BA64, wait until its near enough:
jump out of the tank and "faust" the suprised BA64!!!

or: jup out the tank and shoot the guy with your gun..... i did that several times.

Upvote 0
Dont know where the problem is...like i said in another thread, call in some friendly Infantry or Tank for backup and dont run around like a lone wolf...thats it.
And if that doesnt work, practice on your aiming skills. Its hard to take out a full speed moving BA64 but its possible and its simply not true that the passanger survive if you gave the recon car a full hit.

Face it...the most people who have problems with this already known "tactics" are lone wolfs who dont want other people inside "there" tanks and dont talk to other units around them.
If you practice some teamplay the BA64 and his passanger are nothing more than a easy kill. Gunner stay on his target (ie enemy tank), Hull Mg tries to shoot the passenger off of the BA64 and Backup Tank or Inf kills the rest...thats it.

Upvote 0
Brandl said:
Dont know where the problem is...like i said in another thread, call in some friendly Infantry or Tank for backup and dont run around like a lone wolf...thats it.
And if that doesnt work, practice on your aiming skills. Its hard to take out a full speed moving BA64 but its possible and its simply not true that the passanger survive if you gave the recon car a full hit.

Face it...the most people who have problems with this already known "tactics" are lone wolfs who dont want other people inside "there" tanks and dont talk to other units around them.
If you practice some teamplay the BA64 and his passanger are nothing more than a easy kill. Gunner stay on his target (ie enemy tank), Hull Mg tries to shoot the passenger off of the BA64 and Backup Tank or Inf kills the rest...thats it.
Don't know where the problem is? It's rooted in the fact that it is completely unrealistic to be able to instantly jump out of an armoured car moving at 40mph, land squarely on your feet without taking a hint of damage and hurl a satchel charge.

I also call bull**** on your 'lone wolf' comments, the instance I mentioned in that other thread was me in a tank with ViViD here, on teamspeak, and accomapnied by another tank with two more of our mates (on Teamspeak as well) in the south field of Arad. We would stop the cars fairly well when they came head on, but when they come zipping out once every 30 seconds or so while you're in the middle of a fight with their sides tanks it reaches levels of untold bull****. Also the closer you get to the village the more cover they have and the harder it is to even get your sights on them when you're in the slow traversing Tiger turret.

This is meant to be a realistic game, tactics like this belong to the battlefield series.

Upvote 0
A panzer IV using HE ammo can usually take out the armoured car with ease. Just keep one P-IV behind the main group of tanks and use it to take out any BA-crews that try to circle around the main assault. Unless you actually hit one of your own tanks you won't do any damage to them.

Also, help out your mates. If I see an infantryman sneaking up to a friendly tank, I'll just spray the area down with the coax-mg.

Jack said:
Maybe if the Satchel was made more realistic as well people wouldn't find this so tempting. The Satchel as it exists is like the equivalent of a 1000 pound bomb, no matter where you drop it, as long as it is within a certain radius of the tank, you destroy it.
Hmm. I've actually dropped a satchel on top of an IS-2 and seen it survive. Fortunately I had picked up a 'faust, so I was able to finish it off.

Upvote 0
Jack said:

If the Russian actually had to throw the satchel onto the top decking or something, then he couldn't just drive up, toss a Satchel, then run away.

IMO, the satchel should do litte more damage than the standard tank HE round... and thats the main problem. I've had tanks (including the IS2 and tiger) destroyed (from full health!) from several meters away by dropped satchels. Thats inexusably unrealistic.

Upvote 0
[tR]Mad Mac said:
IMO, the satchel should do litte more damage than the standard tank HE round... and thats the main problem. I've had tanks (including the IS2 and tiger) destroyed (from full health!) from several meters away by dropped satchels. Thats inexusably unrealistic.

hmmm. i survived in a StugIII and in a Tiger Satchel attacks. its a matter where the satchel is placed. and in real life you can hurt a tank a lot with a satchel under the tank....

Upvote 0