• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Need help taking down the tiger with ptrd.

I wish TW would put a scope on the PTRD, like they did in Korea. Over 100 US soldiers fell to "Elephant Snipers" as the Australians called them, as the PTRD was only suited to stop an elephant in that era.

Could you imagine that? Using a weapon that can kill a tank to take down an enemy officer at 600 meters? Talk about striking fear into the enemy.

As for a fun tactic with the PTRD, go to the German town in Arad with a PTRD, the one with all the Panzerfausts out front, sit up in the window, pop the enemy with a 'Faust, then give him a round from your PTRD. Dead Tigers galore.

Upvote 0
[RWTD]Ghost[BCthc] said:
It has a zero chance of taking out panthers/tigers at anyrange/any shot. It simply cannot peirce the armor anywhere on these vehicals.

Actually if your a hardcore realism fan (like me) and have Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin, then you will discover that hitting a panther in the ass at less than about 20-30 yards then it is possible to destroy a panther, though it is very difficult in RO.

Upvote 0
How about the semi auto version of the PTRD the PTRS-41 (PzB 784(r)) this was introduced in August 1941 The weapon has a 5-shot magazine; to load the magazine, the gunner pushes down the magazine and inserts a new cartridge clip into the magazine from the top. When the magazine is pushed back in the first round is located in the breech-path in front of the chamber. It is also possible to reload single cartridges into the weapon from above

design wise it is the same as the PTRD but with a magazine.

http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust6.htm

Loads of weapon stuff here http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust.htm

And for the Axis the Raketenpanzerbuchse (PanzerChreck) Like a bazooka introduced in 1943.

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/detail.asp?smallarms_id=70

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Howard GB said:
Actually if your a hardcore realism fan (like me) and have Combat Mission: Barbarossa to Berlin, then you will discover that hitting a panther in the ass at less than about 20-30 yards then it is possible to destroy a panther, though it is very difficult in RO.
It isn't easy but I've done it. Crawled right up behind a Panther and started putting rounds into it's rear end. I was so close that when he swung his turret around he didn't even see me.

Upvote 0
Heh, the other day I was exchanging shots with a Tiger at around 200-300 metres with all the shots bouncing off each other. And during this prolonged exchange of ineffective cannon fire a BA-64 pulls up behind the Tiger and a PTRD guy jumps out and starts shooting the Tiger in the rear. A short while later the Tiger was blown up from PTRD fire. I didn't know wheter to laugh or cry. What 85mm cannon fire can't do with a dozen or so shells, a 14.5mm AT rifle can do it seems.

Upvote 0
The Soviet AT rifle remained in service because they had no other infantry AT weapon. They did give the Germans grief---they were the reason the German tanks received skirts on their turrets and sides. Pz IV, StuG III, Pz III, and Panther should be vulnerable to side and rear shots from them. RO rewards you for aiming at the sides of the Pz/StuG III because their fuel tanks were there and that's why the AP/incendiary round fired by the AT rifle causes them to explode nicely. Very realistic. The Germans regretted putting the Panther into production without more side armor---this was to have been remedied with the Panther II. Needless-to-say a Sov AT rifleman could do little against a Tiger of any flavor except (1) try to nail the gunner's telescope or (2) break a track. As yet I haven't had the pleasure of meeting a puss while lugging the AT rifle. The Sovs deployed many AT riflemen with their infantry units and they were a big pain to the German tanks. It has a couple real advantages over a Panzerfaust: (1) can be fired from cover, (2) no back blast problems, and (3) you had 15 shots. The disadvantages were its size and weight and inability to destroy the biggest German tanks.

Last night I discovered a nifty way to destroy Sov tanks with the Panzerfaust (suspect it requires a bit of luck including good ranging)---if they are far enough away, shoot to lob the HEAT warhead onto the top deck of the tank---this guarantees a certain kill on all of their tanks.

Upvote 0