• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sniper rifles <-> Machine guns

Deathsai

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005
Something I've noticed and put together as words in my mind...In RO:O, I feel like the basic tactics for these two classes have been switched.

As a sniper, I feel like an invincible wall. Get in a good position, and I can hold down an entire pathway until I am overrun. I rarely relocate, unless I definetly know a skilled enemy has me perfectly in his sights and there is no way I can lean out and kill him without dieing myself.

As a machine-gunner, I feel...like a sniper. I get to a good position, deploy, and mow down a wave of infantry. However, I have to relocate after the first few kills. The enemy will know where I am, and attempt to flush me out. Being immobile and lacking the accuracy of a rifle, I can't do nearly as much to prevent myself from being overrun. So, as soon as I kill the first group of enemies, I immediately undeploy, find a new position, and redeploy, and ambush the next group. Rinse and repeat.

This doesn't seem right at all. As a sniper, I should be picking someone off, sliding to a new spot, taking out another person, etc. As a machine-gun, I should feel like an emplacement, able to suppress the enemy.

A rather "basic" tool like a machine-gun shouldn't require some special skill to use properly. I find myself prefering to use a rifle, as I am more accurate and can kill my enemies much more easily than with a machine-gun. A sniper rifle, however, should probably take that special little something to be effective.

Thoughts?

I find that being an MGer without support requires more active movement to be successful, however with support and someone watching your flank your golden (if you know how to use the gun). As a sniper you arent supposed to have support and you are supposed to be out of the action. If you are trying to be up close with an MG you are in trouble, you need to be at medium distance so that you have time to reaspond to the changing situation.

Upvote 0
Well..

The should cut out those tracers for the MG.. or at least less of them..
So it would be much harder to find out from where the MG is shooting and to take it out.
You should get a sandbag as maschinegunner for extra protection..

As sniper.. every round should be a tracer.. so people could spot you easily if you dont take them out..

n0rm

Upvote 0
Fangster said:
I agree. As soon as a MG takes out 2 guys he's pretty much dead. Snipers who aren't even concealed well can stay alive for longer than that.

Only problem: How do you fix it?

LOL what do you think needs fixing?

Snipers used to spend hours not moving one little bit ever since sniping was invented and first used. That is the whole idea of being a sniper.

MG is something else - he depends on good support by his mates. If he's protected by his mates and he trusts them he does not need to move that often. Then again he might, depending on the tactical situation.

Upvote 0
Well
i think you are not playing with that smart of people or something
because usually, at my friends, and his two cousins are alwas together defending, and they never set up in spots where you are easily to be sniped,
the problem with that, is in computer games you lack core support, i know i hate to say this but, in this way DOD:S is better.
as a sniper, you have to get somewhere before a machinegunner and such, im rambling now though and not makind sense, i will finish it later, so don't even rea dhtis post

Upvote 0
Think of the RO:O mg as a zone denial weapon.

You will need to find a zone of fire from which the enemy cant get a good firing position to shoot at you without moving into the open.

The best example is as an axis mg shooter lying on top of the building between the railway points on Krasnij Oktjabr. When staying in the western end of the roof, you can easily deny a large zone of the map from the enemy, unless they manage to coordinate an attack.

Single riflemen will have huge difficulties at taking out that mg, or penetrating into the railyard.

In this way, you have freed up several soldiers who can concentrate on defending the assembly hall.

Upvote 0
I play the Mg's a lot and you are correct it is setup and then relocate, only areas you don't have to do that is long corridors.

They need to either cut the amount of tracers or tone down the brightness of it, The biggest issue is everytime you fire an MG your setting a big target on your head saying kill me kill me.

If this was real war I would be spending my down time removing ever tracer from the clip.

Upvote 0
Mr._Kong said:
Being effective with the MG is all about knowing your positions, if you have two or three good positions to use you can switch every time you die. I find the light machine guns to be very effective if you set up with good cover and watch a zone as was said before, you are not trying to shoot at the entire map as a sniper might do.
That is sort of what i was trying to say

Upvote 0
ViViD said:
I play the Mg's a lot and you are correct it is setup and then relocate, only areas you don't have to do that is long corridors.

They need to either cut the amount of tracers or tone down the brightness of it, The biggest issue is everytime you fire an MG your setting a big target on your head saying kill me kill me.

If this was real war I would be spending my down time removing ever tracer from the clip.
Actually, IRL soldiers spent time putting tracer rounds IN to their ammo belts. You have to realize that tracers will be useful with the future implementation of machine guns. There is no reason to remove tracers atm.

Tsoman said:
I find that as an MGer, the more you shoot, the longer you live.

ROFL, so true.

Upvote 0
Deathsai said:
Something I've noticed and put together as words in my mind...In RO:O, I feel like the basic tactics for these two classes have been switched.

As a sniper, I feel like an invincible wall. Get in a good position, and I can hold down an entire pathway until I am overrun. I rarely relocate, unless I definetly know a skilled enemy has me perfectly in his sights and there is no way I can lean out and kill him without dieing myself.

As a machine-gunner, I feel...like a sniper. I get to a good position, deploy, and mow down a wave of infantry. However, I have to relocate after the first few kills. The enemy will know where I am, and attempt to flush me out. Being immobile and lacking the accuracy of a rifle, I can't do nearly as much to prevent myself from being overrun. So, as soon as I kill the first group of enemies, I immediately undeploy, find a new position, and redeploy, and ambush the next group. Rinse and repeat.

This doesn't seem right at all. As a sniper, I should be picking someone off, sliding to a new spot, taking out another person, etc. As a machine-gun, I should feel like an emplacement, able to suppress the enemy.

A rather "basic" tool like a machine-gun shouldn't require some special skill to use properly. I find myself prefering to use a rifle, as I am more accurate and can kill my enemies much more easily than with a machine-gun. A sniper rifle, however, should probably take that special little something to be effective.

Thoughts?

You are quite right, but when the game uses spawning method and the maps are quite small - there ain't many ways to fix this "issue".

I think only improvement to this would be make tracers optional and improve accuracy and reduce recoil. (only MG42?)

Upvote 0