• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Returning grenades

Returning grenades

• Yes

Votes: 56 56.0%
  • No

Votes: 44 44.0%

• Total voters
futurenhler said:
Watch saving private ryan, watch all the grenades thrown back fool
Surely one of the best arguments on this forum!
If you also find throwing back nades in Enemy at the Gates, you'll surely get throwing-nades-back into the game! :rolleyes:

Seriously:
Of course there are a couple of situations where you could use the ability to throw back a grenade, but 98% of the time you a) can't find the nade b) ccouldn't reach and throw the nade quick enough c) is the nade cocked.

In DoD you were much faster in overall movement, so throwing back a nade was more possible. I played DoD a lot a long time ago, but even there the picking-up-nade-feature was mainly used for cocking nades and you had only a chance to throw them back if they were uncocked.
Although once I managed to catch an enemys nade from the air! That was hilarous, but unfortunatly I was too suprised and threw it against a wall next to me :confused:

Upvote 0
Dokteur Kill said:
I wonder, however: In RO, can a body reduce the damage of a grenade? So if you throw yourself prone on top of a grenade, will you save your teammates?

I'd like it. It should be really added to our game. Just throw yourself on that nade, protecting your mates and you'll get at least 2 pts or so (if there are mates next to you) for saving their lives.

Upvote 0
for the guy who asked about diving on grenades to lessen the impact on teammates. Me and my friend tried this yesterday and it actually seems to work if you prone directly on top of the nade you can save your teammates from dying. Only tried it 1 time though so test it yourself but I think it works.

Upvote 0
i voted no

it is something that is not really needed because you either

1. get killed right away, coz most ppl prime the nades

2. have enough time to dive to prone and not get killed

I have survived several nades due to the new diving to prone feature,

picking the live nade up and throw back would need some faster "emergency" moves
try it out, go to practice mode and take the time you need to pick up a normal uncooked nade and throw it away
now, how much time would be left from the live nades fuse, even if tossed underhand ? less than 3 secs at best , and thats the best scenario

another thing is smoke grenades,
cod2 or cs are no source for real smoke grenades, the effect you in cod2 would take several minutes to build up an amount of smoke you can use for cover
would you like to wait for 2-3 minutes til u have enough smoke?

Upvote 0
Well im not sure that the pickup system would help if the nade timer is only 4seconds it would have to be something like 7 seconds before exploding for the pickup system even then opponents could easily cook the nade for a while beforde throwing and the situation would be the same. I have noticed that sometimes the nade wont explode as quickly as usyally. :p

Upvote 0
I voted no.

In RO, it would simply be too impracticle. Even if the thrower hasn't cooked it off for a second, or two (which would be rather silly on their part), depending on how far it was thrown, you're looking at it being cooked a maximum three seconds and a mininum one, just in flight time. Then by the time you reach it, unless you're lucky, or unlucky depending on your viewpoint, and it lands at your feet, you're looking at another second gone. Well, just in that alone most grenades would have gone off.

If you're stupidly lucky, and get a grenade with a full five second fuse (I havn't been that lucky thus far, but who knows) you've got another two seconds to pick it up, and find someplace safe to throw it. You've also got to throw it a decent distance, or else you'll still be killed, or at least take damage.

If you're as lucky as me though, you'll get a grenade with a three second fuse that blows up the second it touches the ground.

For those people that have stated that it's effective in DoD, yes, it is. But again, only if you're dealing with people who havn't figured out that whole "Cooking" fuction in Source, and who hadn't figured out that you can drop them, and pick them up in 3.1 and earlier. I've personally played DoD for four years, and I've never been able to actually pick up a grenade and throw it back. Picked up grenades before, yes, but only to have them blow up in the face anyways.

For the "BUT ZOMG!! DOE'S GUYS IN SPR PICKED UP DEM NADEZ AND CHUNKED THEM BACK!" arguement, that's inane. Load up SPR and go to that scene. Count the time that it takes for the grenades to explode from the point that it leaves their hands. Just did it myself, I counted 6 seconds very, very slowly, and 7-8 seconds at what I thought was closer to a realistic second count. Now, go into RO, toss a grenade at your feet, without cooking it, and count how many seconds go by til you get evaporated into a fine red mist. Is it 6-8 seconds? Hell no.

Either way, should the Devs include the option? Sure, why not. Can't be much more coding to pick up a live grenade than to pick up a fallen weapon. And then you all can go and try to pick up grenades, and I'll just run away when I see a grenade coming at me. We'll see who survives more often.

Upvote 0