• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Low FPS

Danimal

Mar 14, 2006
Regardless of the settings I choose on the "Display" tab I cannot get my FPS above the 10-20 range. I have tried everything from Lowest to Highest, from Direct X 9 to Direct X, and the frame rate does not change. I have tweaked every custom graphics option, and nothing effects the frame rate.

Here are my specs:
Pentium 4 - 3 ghz
Nvidia 6800GT 256ram graphics Card
1 gig ram
Cable internet connection

my friend runs on a:
Pentium 4 - 2.8 ghz
ATI 9600XT 128ram
1 gig ram
Cable connection
My friend seems to recieve frame rates in the 50's...

I'm lost! Any advice is welcome.
Thanks!
=)

A little more info to the problem...

I am the friend he speaks of and we are playing at the same time, map, from the same city (ping is about the same-both have cable) and we are standing side by side looking at the same item (tree, tank, etc.) when making our comparisons.

We matched ingame setting for setting, and I still was at least double his FPS.

His computer is newer and faster. I have slower RAM and a slower FSB mobo in addition to the above differences.

I would think he should be matching or exceeding my FPS.

Upvote 0
I'm no expert on nVidia's profiler, but you may want to check the Performance and Quality settings tab to be sure that you don't have a Profile set up that is maxing out all of the available settings on the card. Also, you may want to be sure that the box marked "Application-controlled" is checked (lower left hand corner).

Assuming Windows XP:
Right click and open space on your desktop.
Select nVidia Display
Click on your monitor.

You should now be on the Performance and Settings tab and see those things. If not, select if from the menu on the left.

Good luck.

Floyd

Upvote 0
I thought of the same thing last night and ensured that both antialiasing and anistropic filtering are set to "Application controlled" - which they were.
I wonder if the "stat fps" command is just displaying artificially low fps? It is so odd that my FPS remains consistently low wether I am on 600x800 or 1200 x 800 (whatever the actual numbers are....)

Good advice though. I appreciate the idea!

Danimal

Upvote 0
I had a couple of other thoughts, though they may not apply here. It should make no difference, but you did not mention the manufacturer of your 6800 GT. If it is over-clocked, try running at default settings. My 6600 is O/C'd and I have no trouble, but it might be worth a try.

Thought #2. Drivers. Everyone says to install the latest drivers, etc. etc. However,at one time I was using an Albatron 5900. The only drivers that ever performed on that card were the ones that shipped with the card. Updating with nVidia's latest drivers (even though the 5900 series was listed in the models) made the card perform poorly. This was the only card I ever had this experience with. Again, not saying it applies here, but if you've recently updated your driver's from the manufacturer's released set.....?

Just thinking out loud...
Floyd

Upvote 0
It was a good idea. I reinstalled the factory drivers... set the resolution to 600x800, turned down the Direct X 9 to just Direct X, used the lowest detail settings, 16 bit color (instead of default 32) and even lowered the sound settings... FPS still stays at 16-20... even in the practice settings.

my card is a eVGA Nvidia 6800GT 256
I'm not sure what to do. =(

Thanks for the advice, though!
Danimal

Upvote 0
Danimal said:
It was a good idea. I reinstalled the factory drivers... set the resolution to 600x800, turned down the Direct X 9 to just Direct X, used the lowest detail settings, 16 bit color (instead of default 32) and even lowered the sound settings... FPS still stays at 16-20... even in the practice settings.

my card is a eVGA Nvidia 6800GT 256
I'm not sure what to do. =(

Thanks for the advice, though!
Danimal

i am having the same troubles tried all the tweaks and everything but just cant get a decent fps

Upvote 0
your problem is mostlikely your cpu so changing videocard settings won't help at all. Although your cpu should run faster than your friends.

Just set all your graphics pretty high, defragment your harddisc!, check if your computer is getting enough juice from the psu. things like that. Anyway if you want to reduce cpu stress the biggest setting for that is setting audio to 3d Audio, and set it to use low sounddetail.

With your problem it would earlier be the soundcard + motherboard drivers that would give you higher fps than the videocard drivers ;)

also make sure that reduce mouselag is set to off/false

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the same problem as well!!! :(:( I have a
6600 gt 128 mb
1 gig of ram
Amd Athlon (xp) 2400 + ghz
I think cod 2 has a better grafics engine than this game not shore though, n I can play tht on on extra high good resolution and i get 30-25 fps on good maps n - 18-24 on lagy maps. Could any oneeeee plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me. Oh ye n on this im geting about on a lagy map I get about 11 fps- good maps about 21-25. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is odd. Things are turned up pretty high and I generally run 50-85fps. It will occasionally dip into the mid-20's on some maps.

My spec's are:
P4 Northwood 3Ghz O/C'd to 3.1
1GB Dual Channel DDR memory
Asus P4C800E-Deluxe M/B
On Board Sound (SoundMax Digital Audio)
nVidia GeForce 6600 GT
nVidia Driver Version 77.7.2

As most of those posting low fps rates seem to be running nVidia GPU's, a driver issue perhaps?
What version of nVidia video drivers is everyone running?

Upvote 0
Listen im not having ago at any but im geting angary lol. I really wanna play this game with good fps n for it to look good, I have just now put every single thing on low even sound settings but I dnt get any more fps, I did once today but then I got even less!! I even updated my grafics drivers. Could any one plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help me.
My NVIDIA driver I have now is 84.21_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql. If it is wrong could any one tell me plz thnx!!
Sorry if I same abit impation just I was so excited about this game, took me ages to convince my dad to buy me it coz im only 14 dont have much money lol ^^.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Load a practice session without bots and look what is your FPS rate there. If you have high FPS there, then it's probably not realated with your video card.

A 6600GT should be ennough to run the game with almost all setting switched to highest. RO:O is rather CPU dependent, but still your frame rates are way to low.

What does eat up CPU power is sound, shadows and maybe HDR/bloom.

Upvote 0