• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Soldier Injury Ideas

shadowmoses

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 14, 2006
Its been on my mind for sometime now and i jsut wanted to through it out to see if anyone else likes the idea...

I think it would make a nice feature to add debilitating injuries...
meaning if you were to get shot in the left arm, and being a right handed soldier, you wouldnt be able to aim as well...or if you were to get shot in the right arm you souldnt be able to fire as quickly. i might even go as far to say that if you were shot in the right arm you would lose all ability to fire your weapon...and would have to find another way of healping your squad...such as bringing the MG's ammo or looking pretty.
(lol just playing with ideas)

If you were to get shot in the leg you may limp, such as you do now but not of course not as severely and for a longer period of time.
Another idea is for the soldier to be hit in the leg and trip...i dont know about you but if i was to be hit in the leg with a 7.56X54 or an 8mm round id be eating dirt. Same kinda goes for bashing...id think that it would be nice to nock someone over when they are hit with the butt-end of a stock.

Last edited:
I can imagine limping like such: It takes twice as long to get up to full speed, and full speed is 80-90% of regular speed. The footstep sound is irregulare and varies, as if you're actually limping. The camera bounces up and down more heavily. And all that would be needed for third person is a simple limping animation, kinda like the current one, but more painful looking and faster. This way people won't kill themselves, as it wouldn't be worth is, and it would just be damn cool.

Upvote 0
Zell said:
I can imagine limping like such: It takes twice as long to get up to full speed, and full speed is 80-90% of regular speed. The footstep sound is irregulare and varies, as if you're actually limping. The camera bounces up and down more heavily. And all that would be needed for third person is a simple limping animation, kinda like the current one, but more painful looking and faster. This way people won't kill themselves, as it wouldn't be worth is, and it would just be damn cool.
Ty i wasnt sure if ths idea i had since the mod was worth concidering...
i like the idea of not aiming as well too...any comments on that?

Upvote 0
[5.SS] Hollenfeuer said:
You could also incorporate other effects of battlefield trauma such as dizziness and blackout spells from loss of blood. A medic class would be the best counterpoint. Instead of people having to commit suicide or wait to be shot down they could call on a medic.
I like your idea...but ill say it again that a medic class shouldnt be added.
the eastern front DID NOT HAVE MEDICS.
im not putting down ur ideas just trying to to move into an unrealistic game.
peace

Upvote 0
shadowmoses said:
I like your idea...but ill say it again that a medic class shouldnt be added.
the eastern front DID NOT HAVE MEDICS.
im not putting down ur ideas just trying to to move into an unrealistic game.
peace

The idea that soldiers on the eastern front went into combat with no type of medical support units is rediculous. The main distinction between medics on the eastern front and their conterparts on the west front were the guidelines of the Geneva Convention. The Soviet Union did not sign the Geneva convention, and as such, formalities of war such as quater to medics and fair treatment of POW's did not apply. This however does not imply that there were no medics of any kind.

A book review of "War Without Garlands: BarBarossa 1941/42" states:

"One of the stories in the book is about a group of Russian wounded in no-mans-land, German medics attempt to provide aid, and the wounded fire at them, throw grenades and resist in any way possible. Although this behavior appears almost beyond comprehension, one must bear in mind that they were resisting an invader who to them had attacked without provocation."

I'm still searching for concrete evidence of front-line medical units on the eastern front. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Upvote 0
[5.SS] Hollenfeuer said:
The idea that soldiers on the eastern front went into combat with no type of medical support units is rediculous. The main distinction between medics on the eastern front and their conterparts on the west front were the guidelines of the Geneva Convention. The Soviet Union did not sign the Geneva convention, and as such, formalities of war such as quater to medics and fair treatment of POW's did not apply. This however does not imply that there were no medics of any kind.

"One of the stories in the book is about a group of Russian wounded in no-mans-land, German medics attempt to provide aid, and the wounded fire at them, throw grenades and resist in any way possible. Although this behavior appears almost beyond comprehension, one must bear in mind that they were resisting an invader who to them had attacked without provocation."

I'm still searching for concrete evidence of front-line medical units on the eastern front. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Okay okay i stated my words wrong im sorry.
and yes i realie this...
im just saying that for the amount that where actually used ON THE FRONT LINES would be very hard and pointless to incorporate ingame.

Upvote 0
[5.SS] Hollenfeuer said:

I know the Germans had many sanit

Upvote 0
Hey i just wanted to reply to this to bring it back up onto the top...just wanting this to get a second look by people.
Please post any comment and/or additional support to this idea...
Again i want people to understand that this is just an idea and not suggesting that it 'should be' or a 'must have' addition to the game...Just throwing out a notion i had a while ago.
Thx
Have a good day and have fun playing one of the best games out there!

Upvote 0
After MANY discussions of this issue, Ive come to the conclusion that being wounded should not be a part of the gameplay.

The argument for this is:

IF a bullet graze your skin it will make a small cut, but this will have NO effect on you cause of high adrenaline.

If a bullet tears deeper IE 5-10 mm on any bodypart, you will go into shock and be totally put out of action for long time (longer than a usual round)

The only way this could be implemented is that you get a fleshwound and dont notice before a few seconds has passed (to simulate the tranquilizing adrenaline effect)

I have seen some footage of people being shot,
Their brain doesnt accept or notice that they are hit so they go on for a few seconds before going into shock.. .. but this I think, is very rare.

So my conclusion is that any wound system at all would be unrealistic.

What is realistic is being hit on the weapon or richchets on the helmet.

Upvote 0
Short of disabling the wounded player so much that he simply gets himself killed deliberately, why not at least have him be as out of breath and sluggish for a while as after running?

Having no wound disability except a short slowdown after a leg injury can surely be improved upon. It is odd that in an otherwise excellent realistic game you can perform like normal even though your avatar may be almost totally red from wounds.

Upvote 0