• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Demo Recording

Hi ive been looking for a demo bug thread.
No gun models on the demo in first person view.
No bullets or tank shots in demo.
ALso if i run demoplay from console it crashes the game - demo's only play from the menu.
Basically the demo is not too good at all. Its ok if you are in 3rd person/flying round the map - but its difficult to control that way. I erally wanted to show me clan mates a frag movie so they will all start playing RO with me :(
All i can do is make some movies but they arent in first person - so they dont see me lovely rifle action - or any of the nice models... love that bayo...

As for the guy above wanting to make movies - best way to do it is make a demo, when playing back the demo use FRAPS to capture. Fraps puts it into wmv but its very large fiile.
Then use a program to make the fraps video samller and edit - eg. Movie Maker. Sony Vegas or even something like supervideoconverter will reduce the size of the fraps output.

thanks

Upvote 0
Its not really a bug, its just that the first person player models and stuff were never even added to the spectate mode (what is basically what you use for demorecordings). UT2k4 didn't have it and RO doesn't have it either. I'd like it to work aswell for the purpose of playing first and then recording good moments with fraps from the demos. Which sadly is unpossible now.

Upvote 0
Hi i dont think some people read me reply properly so i'll write it again.

1. I cant use demoplay to view the demo - crashes everytime. SO go to menus and play it from there. There is an option in menus to play demos
I think there is a bug with the demoplay command - so use the menus to play as a workaround.

2. To make movies i use fraps. This makes a Large file so use an editor to compress it (movie maker, sony vegas etc etc). Yes fraps makes big files - so re-do them afterwards in an editor so you can compress it to something more manageable. If you know other programs to capture video then please post them.

I posted here because i wanted to add to this thread - there are bugs in the demo feature - no gun models, no tank shots etc etc.
I dont have a fix for that - i posted here waiting for someone to give information when the demo feature would be fixed - or if anyone had other workarounds to show the models.

Peace.

Upvote 0
Making movies of Video games...

Making movies of Video games...

Making movies of video games is always difficult because of the nature of what you are doing. There is the FRAPS option, but unless you have a VERY fast computer and a lot of disk space this will not work well. The reason is, fraps is a software solution and has to run at the same time as the game is running which is already maxing out your processor at 100%. The result is a low quality movie with either a low frame rate or nasty skips in it when your processor/disk IO system get bogged by the workload. The files produced by fraps are also very large and generally need conversion to some other format, which is also a very slow and time consuming process. If for example you wanted to make dvd quality game movies that you can watch on your dvd player this method really doesn't cut it at all.

The best way to make game movies is using a video capture or tivo card if you happen to have one. Most capture/tivo cards will capture live in hardware mpeg2 (dvd quality video) using the on chip hardware and NOT your computer's processor. This is ideal because the processor is running the game at 100% most of the time. If you have an nvidia gforce card with dual video outputs (which I think most do have nowadays) you can just set up the second output as a tv monitor, wire that tv out to the tv in on your capture card and capture the game live as you play it to an already dvd compatible mpeg2 video file which can be edited watched or burned directly to dvd for normal viewing. Using my wintV pvr150 tivo card I have the onscreen view turned off and it uses 3 to 5% of my processor to capture 8mb/s mpeg2 video of what ever game I'm playing. The quality is excellent and does not take any processing away from the game engine.

I've done this dozens of times to produce in game videos and highlight reels for my nascar racing online club, IL2 flight sim, and of course R.O. movies. I use them all the time as source and demo material for a graphics and multimedia design course that I teach at night. Students really get a kick out of the in-game footage and it keeps things lively.

So again, configure your vid cards 2nd output for tv, connect the input for your capture card to that output and capture live in hardware using your tivo card. It works great and uses less than 5% processor to do it. Very high quality too. Blows FRAPS away for sure. You do however have to play and capture the game at 800x600 as this is the highest resolution most tivo/dvd cap cards will except. When the high def cards come out, we can cap at regular playing resolutions and that will be sweet.

good luck capping those sweet gaming moments,

Benny Hill:)

Upvote 0
Great post, Benny. However, I miss information about how to actually capture the video into a file when I have connected TV-IN to TV-OUT...

From your post it seems as there is no third-party software required, so how do I get my GFX-card to understand that I want to save the input on my harddrive (where etc)?

Upvote 0
You use your tivo card as normal. Just set it up as if you were going to capture a tv show or home movie or something. Use the software it normally uses for that. The only difference is that the signal coming in is not from a vcr/camcorder etc, but actually the tv out signal from your video card. program doesn't know the difference. Just make sure you have the video cards tv out for the game set at 800x600 @60hz refresh rate and it should be accepted by the capture card as a standard tv signal.

My tivo/capture card is a hauppage wintv pvr150 and this method works perfectly. your mileage may vary however. The trick is getting a standard tv signal to your capture card's input. That way it thinks it's capturing tv.

good luck,

Benny

Upvote 0