• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Server/WebAdmin Unresponsive Fix Update (+ Memory Leak Fix)

[TW]Ramm-Jaeger

Tripwire Interactive President
Oct 11, 2005
www.redorchestragame.com
I wanted to update you all on the status of work on the fix for the Server Ping and Webadmin becoming unresponsive. We've been hard at work cranking away on both server and client related issues. I very happy to say that we have tracked down the source of the problem, and have a working fix!!! We are testing the fix internally now to make sure it is stable and will be rolling it out as a beta over Steam (using HLDS) very shortly. When it is rolled out as a beta, any server admin will be able to access it using the beta flag in the command line. These beta versions will be fully compatible with the current clients.

In addition to fixing the Webadmin/NA Ping issue, this update will also fix a rather nasty memory leak. With this memory leak, the previous level was not getting garbage collecting, so ram usage would effectively double, and this would cause an additional CPU load as well. I am fairly certain this was the cause of some servers running fine with 32 players for a while, then eventually becoming overloaded.

Finally, as part of this update we will be rolling out an updated linux server as well which has fixes for some of the crashing/stability issues as well as fixes for some of the admin bugs on linux (banning, session banning, etc).

As soon as the beta of these server updates are up on HLDS, I will let you all know. I highly encourage as many server admins as possible to run with these beta server updates and give me feedback on these forums.

Thank you all for your patience while we iron out these initial issues.

thx Ramm

1)when you say beta flag in the command line do you mean something like the game name except with beta in it somewhere.

2) Also will the updated server files completely overwrite the old ones. Like will it revert all our cfgs and .bat files to the default ones if we dont back them up. I remember CS:S would do this.

Upvote 0
malice said:
thx Ramm

1)when you say beta flag in the command line do you mean something like the game name except with beta in it somewhere.

2) Also will the updated server files completely overwrite the old ones. Like will it revert all our cfgs and .bat files to the default ones if we dont back them up. I remember CS:S would do this.
the flag is really simple.
ex
linux
./steam -command update -game redorchestra -beta ro -dir ~/hlds/ROOST

it will not override your config file unless Ramm says it will.

your .bat files will not change.

its just an update.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Paulski said:
the flag is really simple.
ex
linux
./steam -command update -game redorchestra -beta redorchestra -dir ~/hlds/ROOST

it will not override your config file unless Ramm says it will.

your .bat files will not change.

its just an update.

thx, I only ask because the for the brief time we had a CS:S and DOD:S server the new version seemed to completely overwrite the old cfgs

Upvote 0
OK Clanservers have whacked the patch on my main 32-slot server
It's def been applied as I have the new webadmin interface, but unfortunately, if the fix for the unresponsiveness is also included in what they applied it doesn't work. Seemed OK for a couple of rotations but then no response until server restarted.

Dunno if this is important but I can still get a ping and server details refresh via XFire, but not via ASE when it's in *unresponsive* state

O.O

Upvote 0