• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The armored car makes for very "gamey" tactics

I havent called anyone smacktards, i just say that it is plain unrealistic to drive against a tiger in a car, and jump out behind it dropping satchels on it.

It is a tactic that was supercool in bf1942, but it doesnt suit ro.

Also, it is SUPERUNBALANCED! The allies already have arguably superior tanks. Why do they get AT-soldiers that can drive 3 times as fast as a german at-soldier in a lumbering half-track on top of that??

Upvote 0
Soviets got certain amount of American lend leased M3 halftracks, inferior to Hanomag 251 Germans have in the game but still cool. They also got small amount of Bazookas.

I too have huge moral issues with using BA64 and PTRD on late war maps. Realistically PTRD couldn't do jack vs Tiger, and was slowly phased out from frontline use by late 42 early 43.

I'd love to see M3 and Bazooka in Soviet late war inventory, MUCH rather than BA64 and PTRD.

BTW, Bondarevo is example of early war tank map where I enjoy PTRD.

O.

Upvote 0
Maybe its the exiting of vehicles that needs a little more thought then? To just be able to jump out of it at full speed is weird, plus you press the key and are out in one go, it should at least take a bit of time to crawl out of any vehicle like that. If only a delay of one or two seconds before you can actually pop out.

Upvote 0
The issue is with the exit speed. The "instant exit" from both cars, halftracks and tanks is a REAL annoyance. I could easily accept the BA64 if it at least took 2-3 seconds to exit it. Same thing with tanks, it's VERY irritating to say the least when you try to close with a tank, with the PTRD for example, only to get pistolwhooped by someone instantly exiting the tank when the first shot lands. An exit time of at least 4-5 seconds would be good for a tank.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of the BA as a forward-observer type vehicle used for the commander to spot artillery and so forth (which, in fact, was one of its actual uses), but it's a bit silly as an infantry transport. Part of the reason for this is that on combined arms maps, there are usually only 3-4 infantry per side, and they usually don't spawn together and thus the higher capacity of the halftrack isn't really useful. Ideally, the way a battle on a map like Arad should go would be like this: Germans hop in their tanks, the 5-6 infantry hop in the ONLY halftrack present at spawn, and drive to the village while the tanks support them to keep the halftrack from getting blown up. When the infantry die and respawn, they get in the halftrack together and drive to village again.
If this were the case, the truck from the mod could be brought back for the Soviets to accomplish the same role, or, as was more common in combat situations, Soviet infantry could ride to the village on the back of a tank (this really needs to be in the game, as it was in this manner, and not on a BA, that Soviet infantry usually rode into battle).
Unfortunately, the game doesn't quite work that way, and infantry respawn 1 at a time and want to immediately get into battle, so the halftrack only carries a single man most of the time. In this situation, the BA becomes the ideal infantry transport, since it has the same effective capacity as the halftrack, but is faster and harder to hit. And this is plain silly.

Upvote 0
MadMax said:
The problem is that the driver can instantly hop out of the vehicle, even if the vehicle is on full speed. That is on of the most unrealistic features in RO:O. And I really hate it. :rolleyes:

Completely agree. I don't think the BA is nearly as big a deal as it is being made out to be. It is easily destroyed. However, there is no doubt that you should be badly injured and many times killed if you jump out at high speeds like many people do. If they would just fix that I think it would be fine.

Upvote 0