• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

This Is Sick!

Droog

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
Alright so it's 1AM EST and its 16 populated servers. That's right. SIXTEEN. Somewhat POPULATED. So, I join a server and it runs StalingradKessel with a new plugin: if you enter an enemy base you auto-die. As if you ran outside a map...I'm not blaming Tripwire here 'cause I love the game but given its limited popularity and oh-so-much-hoped-for the influx of new players some of you server admins must be really sick...And yeah I know, your server - your rules, but COME ON!

Droog said:
12 populated servers IN THE WORLD at ANY given time is not "most". It's a disaster.
I've seen a lot worse in my short time in online gaming. The thing is, once the game gets some bugs worked out and starts rolling stronger in the Euro market, there will be a lot more activity. Either way, I still have fun playing so I'm not worried.

Upvote 0
Droog said:
12 populated servers IN THE WORLD at ANY given time is not "most". It's a disaster.
Tell me then, how did RO win the MSU contest? The amount of people you see now would have the been maximum volume on the weekend for the earlier versions of RO.

I hardly think less than a hundred people playing late at night is a 'disaster'.

Upvote 0
Maschine Pistole-38 said:
Tell me then, how did RO win the MSU contest? The amount of people you see now would have the been maximum volume on the weekend for the earlier versions of RO.

I hardly think less than a hundred people playing late at night is a 'disaster'.
I dont think RO won MSU because of their huge player numbers. All unreal mods in the competition had low player numbers, including RO.

Upvote 0
Granted there are not really enough servers to choose from, or well, for me at least. Most servers are either laggy (100ms+ latency), don't have a sufficent player limit (32) or have bots enabled, not to mention the actual players there; it's not very interesting to play with a bunch of monkeys, but this is not something you can be too picky about.

Upvote 0
I absolutely agree with Droog the original poster - although I think he confused game's feature (spawn protection) for server side option :)

Anyhow some admins really seem to do all they can to make BAD situation with servers and players even WORSE.

- Using the terrible "black death" mod - when I see one I just leave. This is a friggen GAME and I want to have some fun not to stare into damn BLACK SCREEN because I died. Is this, somehow, more realistic? Then why do I respawn at all? Why am I in my warm office instead of freezing to death in Stalingrad? This mod is insane, as is anyone using it.

- No death messages on server - again same logic, or the lack thereof. Some people seem bent on destroying every little bit of fun this game has.

- Servers playing same map over and over and over and OVER, because they are set to play the map until some ridicolous number of rounds is won, say 3 or anything above 3. There are servers using rules "3 victories or 5 games played" which, practically, means unwnnable maps like Barashka play 5 times in a row, lasting around hour and a half (sick).

- Servers using time limit to skip to the next map, so that the game is cut in the middle of very interesting fight on some nice map just because time run out WTF?? :confused:

- Servers using voting and ton of tank n00bs voting for damn Arad, map that is not as bad as Barashka, but that we all played more than any other map there is - OK this is not admin's fault to be honest.

Given the lack of populated servers in general, this makes bad things even worse.

Upvote 0
Well Oleg, many of us that play RO are realism freaks. The black screen when you die is to remove the fact that you can roam around after you're dead and find out where the other team has set up their defenses.

Turning off Death Messages doesn't fit everyone, but for those of us that wan't pure realism and immersion it is completely fantastic. It's so much more tension when you throw a grenade into a room and can't be sure if you took out the enemy, or when you lay down fire with the MG at a distance and can't be quite sure if you killed someone or they just threw themselves into prone. It all boils down to making realistic use of the weapons. when you're not sure if you killed someone with the MG, suppressive fire gets used, and that's one of the main uses for an MG. Also, real life soldiers didn't get a magical update in their right eyes peripheral telling them that they killed someone, they had to confirm the kill with their eyes :p

Upvote 0