• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design importing custom textures

Easy - use Photoshop to save them to either of two formats:

* Targa (PS supports it natively)
* DDS (Requires a plug-in from Nvidia)

1) Once saved, open up UnrealEd and view the texture browser.
2) File > Import > Choose your file(s)
3) Name their Package, Group (optional), and Name, and check off whether they have alpha channels or masks.

One very important thing: All textures must be sized to a power of 2. In other words:

512x512
1024x1024
16x16
4x4
512x1024
128x512
etc.

If you try to import a wrong-sized texture, the application will error out.

Upvote 0
1024^2 is probably ok for large wall textures. Most of the textures I make are this size.

Remember, a 2048^2 texture is equivalent to FOUR 1024^2 textures. Variety wise, I suspect you'd rather have those four textures than the big ass one. :)

Oh, and you can compress the texture when you import it as well. If you don't, you're going to notice the size of your map ballooning pretty quickly.

Upvote 0
if your going to import terrain maps (height maps) you cant use the TGA or DDS files. those are BMP greyscale. There was something about the 8 bit or 16 bit i figured out when i needed it, but because of a healthy lifestyle totally forgot.

with terrains you can have multiple layers of textures and make them more or less tranaparent like in photoshop the layer functionality.
So you dont need the 2048 to have terrain that doesnt repeat itself.
just use 3 layers of 1024 (or even smaller) dessert textures and just with a big size transparent tool make them more or less transparent. That way you wont propably notice the repeating problem too much. Also make small sand dunes. Look into the tutorials about terrain creation how to use these features.

Off course you would need some more ground texture to make it look really good but for the basic ground you might wanna try the above methode.

Also stuff like fog and ground smoke or vegatation you can get ride of the repeating effect. For desert you might wanna add a rocky deco layer.

Upvote 0
Also, you can use PCX and BMP save formats to import. PCX is useful if you are doing a 256-color Masked Texture (a Masked P8 texture in Unreal Engine terms). Masking is, in general, more effience and easier on your computer then Alpha-Layer transparency, but the cost is it looks worse.

If using Paint Shop Pro 8, I've noticed issues trying to import PSP8 Targas into the editors. I always get artifacts left over from it.. For non-alpha textures, I export them from PSP8 as a BMP, which I've found works well. If I'm going to mask the texture, I export it as a PCX formatted image.

Edit: fixed a sentence to make more sense.

Upvote 0
The desert isn't as flat and featureless as people think, especially the desert where the fighting took place in north africa.

IIRC, the northern libyan desert is riddled with wadis and depressions. It's pretty rocky as well.

The deserts I've visited are patchy, alternating between gravel and sand. It was uneven enough that we'd blow the shocks on most new 4x4's in a week or so.

You'll probably want a half dozen decent ground textures, plus some for roads, rocky outcroppings, etc. Those can all be 1024^2.

Upvote 0