• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Artillery to frequent

Heinz said:
considering that most of what you post here is wrong, it's no wonder your take on Barashka is wrong as well. really great CA map, and I have not seen it result in a draw more than any other map in the game.

My take is my take, Mr. Philisopher Fanboi, it is not "wrong" nor it is "right" it is merely my opinion. In my opinion Barashka sucks, is very unrealistic and "gamey" map. Boring and unwinnable too.

The map resulting in draw almost every time, though, is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact - and could easily be measured by cold hard statistics, if someone is willing to put enough effort.

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
My take is my take, Mr. Philisopher Fanboi, it is not "wrong" nor it is "right" it is merely my opinion. In my opinion Barashka sucks, is very unrealistic and "gamey" map. Boring and unwinnable too.

The map resulting in draw almost every time, though, is not a matter of opinion, it is a matter of fact - and could easily be measured by cold hard statistics, if someone is willing to put enough effort.

I think that map is great, but that artillery should either be removed OR reduced by 3/4 avaiability. its just a big campy map with that artillery, because each bridge is spammed to death with shells. Even if you'll survive a barrage, there is a good chance the three following Tanks will NOT. A single Tank crossing the bridge is ... uhmm ...ripped apard by enemy Tanks.

Without (or lesser) Artillery the losses of Tanks through a well aimed barrage could be reduced.

Second Point: Tanks should only respawn 60s (or more) after they're destroyed. Atm it respawns WHEN its destroyed, so its just easy to camp both sides of the river and no one will advance.

Upvote 0
Captain Data said:
I think that map is great, but that artillery should either be removed OR reduced by 3/4 avaiability. its just a big campy map with that artillery, because each bridge is spammed to death with shells. Even if you'll survive a barrage, there is a good chance the three following Tanks will NOT. A single Tank crossing the bridge is ... uhmm ...ripped apard by enemy Tanks.

Without (or lesser) Artillery the losses of Tanks through a well aimed barrage could be reduced.

Second Point: Tanks should only respawn 60s (or more) after they're destroyed. Atm it respawns WHEN its destroyed, so its just easy to camp both sides of the river and no one will advance.

I agree. Also, making the map winnable by taking 3 out of 4 objectives would help it actually have some sense and/or purpose. As it stands it's almost impossible for one side to control all 4 points at any given moment.

O.

Upvote 0
CU||Y said:
Annoying just like in BF2 and CODUO.
For a game thats all about skill,i fail to see the skill in artillery.
Ive played every version of RO ,they day arty came into it i was like OH NO!!! im still saying it,its my single biggest dislike in ro.

Then you fail to see the team factor on properly deployed artillery :p Artillery in RO is an excellent area denial tool if used properly (used skillfully) so your team can use a flank without much danger, or a way to break hard defense points, to enable assaults that get stuck. Skill goes many ways, Mr. perseverance. :cool:

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
Then you fail to see the team factor on properly deployed artillery :p Artillery in RO is an excellent area denial tool if used properly (used skillfully) so your team can use a flank without much danger, or a way to break hard defense points, to enable assaults that get stuck. Skill goes many ways, Mr. perseverance. :cool:

Artillery is very good, but on some maps it's way overdone (Basovka, Barashka....)

Also, what exactly is the purpose of arty on maps like Baksan Valley? IIRC arty on that map is rare but completely random, no side can really control the artillery, but couple shells fall from the sky here and there, kill some people, and I assume provide good hearty laugh to someone up there, some unknown entity sending those shells? WTF?

Please, correct me if I got something wrong re Baksan :cool:

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
Artillery is very good, but on some maps it's way overdone (Basovka, Barashka....)

Also, what exactly is the purpose of arty on maps like Baksan Valley? IIRC arty on that map is rare but completely random, no side can really control the artillery, but couple shells fall from the sky here and there, kill some people, and I assume provide good hearty laugh to someone up there, some unknown entity sending those shells? WTF?

Please, correct me if I got something wrong re Baksan :cool:

Uhm, yeah, it gives us alien mappers a great laugh... :D

It provides great atmosphere in 2 maps where controlled artillery would be devestating to the map's gameplay design. And it 'models' the senseless deaths suffered from both sides by accidental wrong shelling, especially during the Stalingrad siege. Baksan, personally, I think the arty is somewhat out of place, a weird spot to have it, a mountain area. But heck...

I agree a little on the overdone part on some maps, but then again, i don't mind it at all personally. We might look into reducing it a bit on some of the maps where it's really high on both sides, at some point.

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:

You may be right. But if you reduce the avaibility for Artillery next patch, a Fieldcommander will be even more usefull if he's able to use Artillery right. Spamming a bridge or a single possition to death just to prevent any tactic of the enemy may be realistic, but its no fun. And has nothing to do with skill.

A GOOD Fieldcommander knows that he got only limited support of Artillery. If you restrict the amount of barrages or increase the delay-time, only the GOOD Fieldcommanders will help their teams. A BAD Commander will just command "FIRE FIRE FIRE", the Artillery fires but when the time comes and our Team need REALLY that Artillery, there'll be no Round left to be fired.

BTW: I'd love to see that Map Rakowice either removed or reduced in seize next release. Everytime this map starts, almost everyone is leaving the server, because this map is just big, campy and boring. I know something about Map-Design ... and this map is not really fun. You've walk kilometres just to get sniped or rifled or tanked down by the opposite team. This map may be fun with 60 or more players, but even with 32 players it feels empty. Its way to big for a Game with only 32 players or at least: it feels so.

The only funny part is fighting in the Hangar or in the Catacombs ... too bad, it happens only 10% of the game, the rest you're trying to hold an area (where even 100 Soldiers would be not enough) with a maximum of 16 players.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Sassy, just add another type of random arty: "airstrike" :D. That would work for baksan.

On Baksan, there is also random, but very welcome and atmospheric, droning sound of small aircraft, presumably recon or spotter, like Fiesler Storch. Nice touch :cool:

Now that I think about it....

That Storch must be alien controlled observation drone them alien mothafuckas sent to observe the effect of their random evil strikes falling from the sky. No other explanation is possible. If the aircraft belongs to any of the playable sides actually shelling the area, the pilot must be blind.

Or it's the bad weather?

Oleg

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
I agree a little on the overdone part on some maps, but then again, i don't mind it at all personally. We might look into reducing it a bit on some of the maps where it's really high on both sides, at some point.

Who did what map for the final release? What maps are yours? I want to know who's responsible for unplayable, unwinnable, server hogging, fun killing atrocity that is Barashka and (to a lesser degree) Arad. :eek: I know some people love those maps but I just roll eyes and disconnect (just my personal opinion and/or taste).

I also want to know who do we thank for masterpiece maps like Stalingrad, Basovka, Odessa, Red October, Hedgehog, Koenigsplatz & others.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy LOL :D

Upvote 0
Captain Data said:
BTW: I'd love to see that Map Rakowice either removed or reduced in seize next release. Everytime this map starts, almost everyone is leaving the server, because this map is just big, campy and boring. I know something about Map-Design ... and this map is not really fun. You've walk kilometres just to get sniped or rifled or tanked down by the opposite team. This map may be fun with 60 or more players, but even with 32 players it feels empty. Its way to big for a Game with only 32 players or at least: it feels so.

I love Rakowice the way it is, tactically probably the most complex map in the game. This map really requires some mean planning and teamwork, especially for Russians, qualities that are rarely found on public servers, but hey...

I say leave Rakowice as it is.

BTW I can't find Rakowice on my Encarta World Atlas. Presmably it's near Krakow, but Krakow airfield has some other name.

In fact I can't find many of map placenames from the game in my Encarta World Atlas. Basovka, Barashka, Baksan, Bondarevo....

Admit it guys, you just imagined all those places, and used map outtakes from UT2004 team LOL :D

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
Who did what map for the final release? What maps are yours? I want to know who's responsible for unplayable, unwinnable, server hogging, fun killing atrocity that is Barashka and (to a lesser degree) Arad. :eek: I know some people love those maps but I just roll eyes and disconnect (just my personal opinion and/or taste).

I also want to know who do we thank for masterpiece maps like Stalingrad, Basovka, Odessa, Red October, Hedgehog, Koenigsplatz & others.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same guy LOL :D

You can thank me for Barashka. You know i'm a shitty mapper anyway :cool: So what are you going to do with your newly gained knowledge? Spank meh? :D
By the looks of it, you just don't enjoy the 2 large long range tank maps. That's all. Opinion taken :p (i can play barashka, i can win or loose barashka, and i have fun on it) We chose to offer a wide variety. So we get a wide variety in opinions...

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
You can thank me for Barashka. You know i'm a shitty mapper anyway :cool: So what are you going to do with your newly gained knowledge? Spank meh? :D
By the looks of it, you just don't enjoy the 2 large long range tank maps. That's all. Opinion taken :p (i can play barashka, i can win or loose barashka, and i have fun on it) We chose to offer a wide variety. So we get a wide variety in opinions...

Hmmm ... hope you'll reduce that artillery next release ... I really really really like to see a less frequent artillery on Barashka. I'm that "Blitzkrieg"-Guy. I know, BF 42 is NOT realistic, but I was a real good Tanker, because I was using some kind of "Blitzkriegtactic" against the enemy. It was really successful.

In RO:O (I know its realistic) there is atm no way on Barashka to "blitzkrieg" the enemy. You can advance to the bridges, but there is (almost) no way to cross them to conquer the fourth Point, because the Artillery is destroying any bigger Tankforce with ease.

Funny thing: In German Front Mod, we've got the same problem on Merderet. Its similar to Barashka, there are 2 Bridges and you have to conquer 5 Points (In DOM-Mode). To do so, you have to conquer two Flagpoints on your side, one on the mainbridge and another two Flags on the enemy's side. Bad thing: You've got only 2 ways to advance, the mainbridge and a trainbridge. Almost everytime it was really campy, because no team tries to advance over both bridges, just shooting each other by rifles from the opposite sides of the river.

BUT: Its winnable, because you don't have to capture ALL points. You need only 1 Point (Teamscore) more than the enemy and you'll win.

If you don't want to reduce that artillery just change the missions objective: You've hold MORE than 2 points to achive victory. Its easy for a team to control both bridges, but its almost impossible to control both bridges AND to advance to that enemys "Basepoint".

But ... its your Mod. I'm no mapper of your Mod, it's not a right of mine to say how you have to modify your map :D (uhh that sentence doesn't sound good, but what the heck, I'm sure you'll get the point ;))

Upvote 0
You know what? ...I bet the soldiers in WWII thought the arty was a little excessive too...

What the hell are these people going on about? Is arty going to be the new NadeSpam (TM) ??

please dont listen to this bellyaching... the arty is fine.

The problem isnt the arty itself or the frequency, its your own inability to accept being blown up by it or having to deal with the screen shake... I mean, common... how watered down do you want to make this game?

Believe it or not, being a soldier in a war is extremely stressful, and I think they've done a good job with the engine to give you a feel of what it might have been like when arty fell next to you (screen shake/blur). In all honesty your insides would be liquified if shells fell as close to you as some do in game.

You cant fault the devs, or expect them to curtail the arty if you dont like how someone is using it. Get on that persons case. Sometimes I think the difficulty and/or realness of this game is just too much for some people. Really though, most of what I've read here sounds like so much WHINING.

Last edited:
Upvote 0