• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

My Humble Review

To give some background, I am 27 years old with a wife, a kid on the way in less than a month, going to work full time and going to school full time. I started playing computer games back in 1994 when Command HQ and Drakkhen filled most of my time. I eventually gravitated to Day of Defeat as the staple game I will always play. I have made the move to DoD: Source. BF2, EQ2, EVE, FFXI, Quake, Doom3 and other are all passing fads. DoD:S is something I have always returned to.

When I initially loaded Red Orchestra: Ostfront (RO) I didn't experience any issues ordering, pre-loading, and then unlocking. My hopes were high having seen the amazing trailer. And given my background, I was really hoping for a DoD type game set in my favorite historical events (WW2) with an amazing amount of detail. My complaint about DoD is that it is limited to a small map with fast tactics typical in the arcade arena. Game like Battlefield were so poorly implemented in my opinion because they failed to capture any notion of strategy, teamwork or realism. RO was my answer and I embraced its release with zeal.

Upon my initial play I have to admit I was very very dissapointed. In a time where high end graphics were standard, switching from say DoD:S to RO was intially dissapointing. The animations are stiff and at times very unrealistic. Clipping, for example, was terrible when driving through a wheat field because the wheat would appear in the tank. Certain levels seemed to be dominated by those with ample experience keen on inflating their egos decimating noobs like myself. The interface itself seems haphazardly designed. The menu seems old and reminiscient of DOS games. I griped and complained a lot. I was sad to see another wonderful concept get killed by gaming with people not willing to work together. I suppose this would all be the bulk of my complaints. I was resolved to wait for RO:2 if something like that ever came out on an updated engine.

I browsed the forums and got a wonderful idea. I maxed out all my graphics settings except HDR bloom and quite frankly, most of my graphics complaints about quality have been silenced. Sure it may still not look the best but man, I finally started seeing some scenes and stared how good things looked at times. But that's not everything. The moment that turned me into a fan was when we were on the German side trying to cross a frozen river. Our tanks fought off the tanks trying to cross the bridges and I made my way over to the Russian side of the river. By now I learned all the cool features like the lean and how to aim. I run crouched to the trench and pick off a couple Russians and then jump the wall to the objective. I turn around and there were 3 other Germans with me following me. In that moment, I fell in love because I realize the huge potential in teamwork this game had. We had all worked together and took out the tanks, captured key areas around an objective and then captured it together.

Since then, I have been playing almost every night. It runs a little slow on my machine in between levels and the frequent VPU crashes I keep getting from my video card are making playing less enjoyable but these are things that aren't the game itself. You see, RO is what I always wanted DoD:S to be. RO is where DoD was supposed to go with Source. Instead it became an arcade shooter. Don't get me wrong. I still love DoD:S. Its just that I don't get a level of satisfaction playing any other FPS than I do playing RO. The sound is unbelievable. The options for all the firearms are awesome. It was all so very well thought out and planned. Being able to butt people with your rifles, attach bayonets, select fire where applicable, iron sights, artillery strikes, driving in and outside the tanks, etc etc. The mechanics are awesome. It does take more time to get into a RO map. Its one of the things I like about DoD. Load the game, select a server and start shooting. I don't mind the extra time but it can get frustrating because sometimes the combat situation is so chaotic and with the lack of teamwork at times, your play experience can be miserable.

I think the developers should focus on bugs and as the game becomes more widely played and they are ironed out they should fix graphics issues like animations and clipping. Then maybe revamping the interface or polishing it up. After that, I would introduce new maps and vehicles.

I suppose I don't know the community very well and have no idea how much the developers listen to us players, but I hope that improvments and fixes make this even better. I play as Mean_Mr_Mustard on any Seattle area server with people playing on it.

Anyway, the game is great for the reasons I listed above. Needs some polishing and a larger player base. The best experience (most satisfying, that is) comes with teamwork.

Thank you for reading my review.

Hmm I guess maybe your graphical issue could be what others are saying is their problem? Their settings must not be turned up. I have mine all the way up and every on servers will constantly say graphics are horrible and I just can't get it. Because honestly, if you compare a screenshot of RO to DoD:S... They are on a pretty close playing field. The soldiers in RO look even better for the sole fact that they don't look "fresh out the dryer."

I'm glad you enjoy this game. I enjoy it far more than I ever enjoyed any other FPS before this. I hope everyone else who gets this game has the chance to feel the same way.

Upvote 0
it's definately the best teamplay game I've seen since the Rainbow Series, and a removal from the arcade 1337 persona of the CS genra..

I love both genres and will continue to play both but it is obvious that if you want public server teamplay you won't get it so much in CS:S as you will in RO.

On the other hand, if you want 10 minutes of owning goodness and don't have time to get involved in a map, then CS:S is good for that. So it really depends on what you have time for at that moment.

It's not so much I believe that you can't find teamplay in DOD:S or CS:S it's that you have to join a clan or become friends with people whereas in RO it's more just a necessity to survive and not have to trek all the way back there every six seconds. In the more arcade style games, you can take out the whole other team be it 5 or 15 guys by yourself if you have enough skill (and ammO :))

Upvote 0
When I first started up the game I dident have any bad feelings at all about it, 'cept there's no music in the game :p

But yeah, the graphics where really blurry for me becouse of HDR bloom, but I dident go "shite, the game sux!" I just asked in the server "I'm having this wierd blurry shite, how do I fix it?" and they just said turn of HDR bloom, exit game, start, and login on teh server :D

Upvote 0
in all honesty the animations in this game imo are BETTER than CoD2 and BF2...the only thing they need to improve is the vehicle animations when moving.

This game beats the crap out of others in the visual stakes, considering its only $25 and its built on an old engine, it looks more authentic too me than the CoD2s and BF2s which feel like hollywood shooters...I still dont understand people who say it looks dated, coz it just doesn't to me, and before i played this game i played FEAR, CoD2 and BF2.

Clipping is a problem of the old engine and they will not be able to fix this, but BF2 and CoD2 both have this issue as well.

Upvote 0
I am glad to get some responses to my post. I tried to be objective and put things into perspective. You are right, the uniforms and soldiers in DoD:S look like they all came from the same batch at a factory. And their uniforms all look the same. No variations or anything.

Its too bad the clipping issues won't be fixed because of engine limitations. I gloss over it now and its just a reality of the game. But I admit, it does take from realism at times. Sometimes things do look dated in RO but honestly, with the amount of detail the devs put into this, it doesn't bother me all that much. I guess my biggest complaints are riding in the half-track everything looks jagged (even after turning up GFX) and driving the tank while looking outside. If you look and see the turret especially on the Tiger, it looks terrible.

But whatever, I didn't want to nit pick the details. Over all, its a solid game. The purpose of my post was really to give people who had reservations or questions about the game to get some more objective remarks rather than some fan boi banter or hate flames. The game is great. If you enjoy WW2 team play with fairly decent looking graphics and amazing mechanics/fucntionality, RO is for you.

If you like to run around spray and pray racking up kills to boost your own ego not giving a crap about the team, well, this might not be for you. But who knows, maybe you are ready to make the transition to a more mature playing style.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I enjoy reading the reviews from people who were not weened on the mod best of all.

I do not play other games and so I have no idea about how other graphics might look. All I know is I have never seen game play as good as RO and that is what it really comes down to.

Thanks for the review.

Oh and say hi to your sister Pam. She's a go-getter if there ever was one. :cool:

Upvote 0