• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Upgrading video card?

sgt harper

Mar 14, 2006
I have a question about which video card would be better to buy for RO.
dntknw.gif

I am looking at the following 2 cards:
starwars.gif

Leadtek GeForce 6600 / 256MB DDR /PCI Express / VGA / DVI / HDTV

XFX GeForce 6600 / 512MG DDR2 / PCI Express / Dual DVI / TV Out

The price is around $125 each.
ohmy.gif

I just bought the 6600GT made by EVGA (Through NewEgg) a couple of months ago and I have had no problems at all. It's a great card.

I would have bought the LeadTech one first, but it was out of stock for while, thus the reason I went with EVGA. A good friend of mine has LEADtech card and also has had no problems. So, to make a long story short, I think you are good to go with either one of these. They are both good cards in my opinion.

Take care.

Upvote 0
vidcard

vidcard

each manufacturer is different and so is each card they do, but...I had some horrid EVGA cards (nvidia) while I've always felt that Chaintech has awesome Nvidias, Asus and Gigabytes seem better as per benchmarks but cost a lot more. I only use ATI now, either saphire or ati brand of radeons. It worried me when soemone said they were buying an EVGA card...and make sure you KNOW what brand it is, theres some really crappy ones out there that the brands become unmentionable but most good retailers dont sell them. they have underclocked gpu's and substandard components all around but advertise full specs. Im not saying evga does this but they scare me.

Upvote 0
Step up to the 6600GT 128 if you are set on a 6600. The 6600 256 and 6600 512 have more onboard memory, but that is more marketing gimmick than anything. The 6600GT with 128 MB memory will run circles around either.
Also, if you have been playing RO:O on your present video card, make sure when you install new card to delete your RedOrchestra.ini file, start the game and let it build a new one with your new card.

Upvote 0
Kyril =VIII= said:
Step up to the 6600GT 128 if you are set on a 6600. The 6600 256 and 6600 512 have more onboard memory, but that is more marketing gimmick than anything. The 6600GT with 128 MB memory will run circles around either.
Also, if you have been playing RO:O on your present video card, make sure when you install new card to delete your RedOrchestra.ini file, start the game and let it build a new one with your new card.

Thanks for the heads up on the *ini file.

I am now looking at buying the 6800 Xtreme / 256MG GDDR3 video card for its coast would be $105 from TigerDirect.

Upvote 0