• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Artillery to frequent

Tonni Rékyl

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 15, 2006
Not sure if this should go into the suggestions forum, or if this would be the right place. Its just as much a question/debate as a suggestion. Anyway...

Is it me, or does others too find that the use of artillery is to frequent. I mean, its a constant on almost every map and its very annoying and often destroying the gameplay/battle of the given map/round. Dont get me wrong, I really like the feature, but I wouldnt mind it being more restricted, maybe even restricted to 5-10 (server defined) 'calls' per round or not being able to call for another strike within 2 minutes after the first call for example. Something that would make it more a tactical weapon, and not something you just use constantly throughout the round.

It's really annoying on Basovka. It's not that it keeps killing me, I manuever around it. What bothers me is the constant shaking of the screen. There is little to no period in which no volleys are coming down. As soon as one volley from the Germans ends, the Russian one begins. As soon as that ends, the German begins again, so forth and so forth. I cannot play it for long with all that artillery and I am surprised many other people aren't complaining of eye trouble caused by it.

Upvote 0
Sclass12 said:
It's really annoying on Basovka. It's not that it keeps killing me, I manuever around it. What bothers me is the constant shaking of the screen. There is little to no period in which no volleys are coming down. As soon as one volley from the Germans ends, the Russian one begins. As soon as that ends, the German begins again, so forth and so forth. I cannot play it for long with all that artillery and I am surprised many other people aren't complaining of eye trouble caused by it.

Yeah I agree...This map would be as good without any arty at all. When Germans take AT gun position and start using artillery as well, it's just too much...

Upvote 0
Sclass12 said:

that's really bad indeed. I sometimes drop the server if it's too much and if arad comes up after that:rolleyes:
i wrote in game a nd complained and people went like "Huh?:confused: "..... nuts

Upvote 0
The only thing that bothers me is that there's no longer the long delays between calling in artie, so people can just spam it one right after the other. Back in the mod you sometimes had to wait several minutes after dropping some artie before you could call it again, so it was important to pick the right moment in order to get the most effect.

There also seems to no longer be much of a delay between calling it and rounds hitting the target, in the mod sometimes it would take 30 seconds after calling it for the rounds to start dropping.

Upvote 0
Do you remember Band of Brothers when they were under constant arty barrage? I would have to say those guys were annoyed by it to. If they were annoyed by it and we are too, then it must be realistic. Also some of you act as if artillery strikes are being used at random in an empty field or something. I don't see how someone is "spamming" artillery even if its not killing someone, for example having an artillery on a bridge or a chokepoint will prevent the enemy from going through there. No smart player would voluntarily run through an artillery strike seeing how it is so easy to go around, so that explains why there arn't many kills.

Another thing is that its quite hard to target tanks with artillery, most tanks don't stay in one place long enough to have artillery come down on them. And if you do blow up that one tank sitting on the hill, he isn't going to go back to that hill while artillery is falling on it. Basically the artillery in this game is an area denial weapon like minefields.

Upvote 0
I don't know if it's 'too much', but it's a joy to control :D. It all depends on the commanders I suppose
I only use it tactically and try to communicate with the team and 'take requests'. I don't like strike after strike, but sometimes it's necessary (wouldn't want too much delay) and it is supposed to be 'warish' and so people are getting post-traumatic stress dissorder - my idea for improving it's use follows:

One thing I think would be VERY helpful in this regard would be the ability to call off a strke. I often find that the benefit of a strike comes mainly from the first barrage (either clearing out a position or taking out a tank or two) and perhaps the second.
After that it can be usefull to hold the enemy back while you team advances (or sometimes to catch the bolder enemies trying to cross 'no man's land'), but tactically it is often preferable to end it after the first strike so your team can advance (and capatalize on the destruction). With the prolonged 3 strikes it holds your own team back as well giving the enemy time to respawn and ready their defence.

This or more - shorter strikes would work.

Also, it would be glorious to be able to adjust fire slightly during a strike, but this is perhaps asking too much.

Upvote 0
Sclass12 said:

I am strange.. I like realism. So, if the ground would shake in the real world then I enjoy seeing how well I can shoot and hit under those conditions.

Buy an XBox.

Upvote 0
Razorback said:
I am strange.. I like realism. So, if the ground would shake in the real world then I enjoy seeing how well I can shoot and hit under those conditions.

Buy an XBox.
I don't really understand what brought on the "Buy an XBox" comment. I do not hate the artillery, I just hate it on Basovka because my vision becomes blurry after playing a round of it with the constant shaking. I like realism as well, but I do not like to have to quit a game because I lost my vision.

Again, it is just on Basovka that it really, really annoys me.

Upvote 0
I hate arty on Barashka - the two snowy bridges map. This map is just terrible anyway, in all aspects, but overuse of arty makes it even more terrible.

This is the most unrealistic, most "gamey" map in the whole game. Arty is usually called to shell the bridges (what else? since the whole idea of the map is for everything to be chanelled over bridges). I am not saying shelling the bridges was never done - it was done, albeit rarely, and usually with the intention of destroying the bridge, not merely killing couple guys that happen to be ON the damn bridge at the moment! Here arty is exclusivelly used as cheap method to mass kill whoever is on the bridge, and bridge itself cannot be destroyed.

Ice cannot be destroyed as well, so we have another stupidity that is Barashka exclusive and that is infantry walking on (indestructible) ice as it, paradoxically, provides best protection against armor (armor must ise briddges because map is "nerfed" that way), against shelling (ice does not break as it would in real life), snipers etc.

Terrible map. Did I say I hate this map? :cool: I guess I did but it bears repeating. Besides, Barashka is almost never resolved and always ends in a draw. Since most servers run "2 wins per map, or 3 games played and then we move on" many play damn Barashka for almost an hour (3 times in a row, all of them unresolved).

Terrible map. By far the worst in the whole game.

As last measure to make this map at least playable, balanced and fun, make it winnable by either side. When one side holds both bridges and it's own starting bank it should be win. As it stands now victory is almost impossible to get on this map.

O.

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
I hate arty on Barashka - the two snowy bridges map. This map is just terrible anyway, in all aspects, but overuse of arty makes it even more terrible.
This is the most unrealistic, most "gamey" map in the whole game. Arty is usually called to shell the bridges (what else? since the whole idea of the map is for everything to be chanelled over bridges). I am not saying shelling the bridges was never done - it was done, albeit rarely, and usually with the intention of destroying the bridge, not merely killing couple guys that happen to be ON the damn bridge at the moment! Here arty is exclusivelly used as cheap
Terrible map. Did I say I hate this map? :cool: I guess I did but it bears repeating. Besides, Barashka is almost never resolved and always ends in a draw. Since most servers run "2 wins per map, or 3 games played and then we move on" many play damn Barashka for almost an hour (3 times in a row, all of them unresolved).
Terrible map. By far the worst in the whole game.
As last measure to make this map at least playable, balanced and fun, make it winnable by either side. When one side holds both bridges and it's own starting bank it should be win. As it stands now victory is almost impossible to get on this map.
O.

considering that most of what you post here is wrong, it's no wonder your take on Barashka is wrong as well. really great CA map, and I have not seen it result in a draw more than any other map in the game.

Upvote 0
I didnt mean the artillery as such is annoying, but the use of it. And yes, its probably down to the commander, what he does with it. On many maps/rounds/servers its just used for fun and is often having the oppesit effect, friendly fire keeping the team from the objective etc.

Like I said, I like the feature, just dont like the way its being used.

Upvote 0