• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are people actually bothered about objectives?

Kalashnikov Slamdunk said:
nope ur wrong.
all i did was cap 3 objectives, ressuply 3 mgers, and 1 kills for gods sakes. that means i am on top with 47.
but y? what did i do? i only helped by killing 1 guy, its stupid.

Again, I respectfully disagree. It is a team game, where the point system is set to reflect team play, not how many people you kill. Killing the other team is just a necessity of capturing or holding the objectives, which is more important.

Listen, the whole point is to enjoy playing the game, and I hope you do. You should not get hung up about how high, or low your score is, it is not an arcade style game where your high score will go into some hall of fame with your initials. Enjoy playing the game, work with your team so they win.

Remember, the scoring is configured more for teamwork and capturing objectives, with kills only a small part of it. I agree with the way they did the scoring, it is not bs or stupid. Try not to get hung up on that and have fun!

Upvote 0
nope ur wrong.
all i did was cap 3 objectives, ressuply 3 mgers, and 1 kills for gods sakes. that means i am on top with 47.
You're missing the point. You did more things for the team than those with a lower score. If other players had equaled you in team actions, then it would depend on kills. The point system rewards team players first, so in a server with many team players the determining factor will be kills. Like I said, the system doesn't always produce a totally accurate ranking of players. Thankfully points are meaningless in the long run.

Upvote 0
DucusSumus said:
You're missing the point. You did more things for the team than those with a lower score. If other players had equaled you in team actions, then it would depend on kills. The point system rewards team players first, so in a server with many team players the determining factor will be kills. Like I said, the system doesn't always produce a totally accurate ranking of players. Thankfully points are meaningless in the long run.

Yeah sounds like he done an excellent job. The main objective is to cap bases, not kill people. He played the game as intended so deservedly was on top points wise. :)

Upvote 0
nope ur wrong.
How many guys did the MGers kill, that they would not have if they had not been resupplied with ammunition?

How many teammate lives did you help save by capping and pushing the front lines up?

etc. etc.

Straight attrition is the least efficient and most time-consuming (case in point: World War I) means of winning a war.

Upvote 0
.:iGi:.U.G.H. said:
I'm finding most the time people aren't that interested in carrying out the objectives and just want to run around like it's team deathmatch. :(

Yes, just give it time for people to realize its more rewarding to push the enemy back rather than just killing them.

Either that, or join me in-game... cause sometimes I think Im the only one going for objectives too. With our combined powers we can conqure the world!

Upvote 0
If you start giving out orders (well, requests) then you are more likely to have people actually try to complete the objectives. It's human nature. Google the "bystander effect", or the Kitty Genovese murder. You may not relate a murder to a game, but the basic phenomenon is the same-- people pass the buck, expecting someone else to do something. When someone is hurt in public, it is human nature to think "there's plenty of other people here, SOMEONE will call 911". Much like in-game, you think "I have plenty of teammates, SOMEONE will go cap that square". Ironically enough, if there's only a few of you, or say you are only with one person, chances are that person will be more likely to help with teamwork than if there was a lot of you (bystander intervention).

So while your best bet is to play in servers that practice teamwork routinely, if this isn't feasible than my suggestion is to pick up the slack and start firing orders. You'd be surprised at the response you'll get by telling your team there's action in X objective, need backup, etc.

Upvote 0
Some people don't get it. I was Axis on Basovka, and i'd (with some work from team, I guess..I'm serious, it was pathetic) just captured command bunker. We had about 2 mins left, so I typed "Push for the station, a quick rush and we can take it" or something. Then, 30 seconds to go and I repeated it. Someone said "Lets just defend the bunker..". I was shocked, 'cause it can't even be retaken!

Upvote 0
haha i know what you guys mean. the game is still full of john rambo's intent on killing, rather then capping. wich is pretty stupid anyway, cuz there will be guys defending each objective most of the time, so that would be the place to be to get a kill IMO. still they run the other way :S
I usually stay in the back a bit, watch for enemies, try to kill them, then move up, take positions again, look again, kill again, till i reach the objective and then i try to clear it and take it.
on Kaukasus i try to go for the mortar pos. first, after that, i allways see people go straight to the castle. instead they shouldve been going for the tower so our reinforcements can spawn there, some of them going back to the back route, others going to the castle and cap that, match won.
now im allways alone in the tower, people get killed, walk up again, giving the russians time to reposition and kill them again, leaving me alone in that damned tower XD
i couldve been commander maybe, ( the class at least ;) ) but its allmost allways taken by some n00b who think it looks tough, him being the commander, but doesnt do **** with it. other point on the commander thingy is i dont like the mp40 and allways go for the k98 ( or mosin on russian team ) and i type what people should be doing, or give voice commands where help is needed. but.
they wont listen most of the time, or dont do it fast enough and get killed in the act of doing what i asked them to do :\
only thing i do with the castle in the beginning is throwing some nades in so i wont get shot in the back when going for the tower, wich might be the reason people dont try to push to tower and think, ah **** it, the ppl over at the back route will push up and take it. except for the fact that those people most of the time get pinned down and cant advance XD

Upvote 0
=GG= Mr Moe said:
It is a team game, where the point system is set to reflect team play, not how many people you kill. Killing the other team is just a necessity of capturing or holding the objectives, which is more important.

You should not get hung up about how high, or low your score is, it is not an arcade style game where your high score will go into some hall of fame with your initials. Enjoy playing the game, work with your team so they win.
Bingo!

Upvote 0
Wk~ said:
If you start giving out orders (well, requests) then you are more likely to have people actually try to complete the objectives.

Depends. Asking sappers to actually blow the North wall in Kessel rarely gets any response... even when I tell them Ill be thier human shield so they can make it alive. Normally I end up giving up, choosing the class, and doing it myself.

That and when Im in the capzone, I can beg and beg. Few people will attempt to join me.

In time it will get better...

Upvote 0
breadtruck said:
Yes, just give it time for people to realize its more rewarding to push the enemy back rather than just killing them.

Either that, or join me in-game... cause sometimes I think Im the only one going for objectives too. With our combined powers we can conqure the world!

Think I've seen you on a few servers and you do just as you say. I'm a capper too plus I get enjoyment out of killing 3-4 guys off the obj and then take it from them.:D

The game seems to be won buy the team that creates the most pressure on objs then moves to the next cap zone and takes it.:eek: ;) People who camp for more than a minute are pretty useless IMO.

Upvote 0
It would help if VOIP worked correctly. Im assuming most people will want to use the Hardware 3D Audio option, so they get the best experience out of the game. Unfortunately, for Creative users at least, this renders VOIP next to useless. I for one would use VOIP except that I am not willing to be forced to play in 2D stereo mode whilst I have a 5.1 setup. I really hope they resolve the issue so that the use of VOIP, which is a vital part of teamwork, becomes more widespread.

Upvote 0