• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
It makes perfect sense to me. How the hell is the Sgt. Schultze supposed to know that Gftr. L33tB0mmA has identified an artillery target? Telepathy? Even if he did see him point his hand at a vague area, he doesn't know the coordinates. Only the commander himself knows where it has to go, so he's the one who has to call it.

Best part is, since most commanders are too lazy to mark something, then travel back to a radio, the generally camp one, so finding them and ending their "Rain of Tyranny" isn't too hard.

No, that is not a typo. It's a pun. How many people will not read this line and "correct" it anyway I wonder...?

Upvote 0
PsYcH0_Ch!cKeN said:
It makes perfect sense to me. How the hell is the Sgt. Schultze supposed to know that Gftr. L33tB0mmA has identified an artillery target? Telepathy? Even if he did see him point his hand at a vague area, he doesn't know the coordinates. Only the commander himself knows where it has to go, so he's the one who has to call it.

Best part is, since most commanders are too lazy to mark something, then travel back to a radio, the generally camp one, so finding them and ending their "Rain of Tyranny" isn't too hard.

Didn't you read what I posted? :confused:

ANYONE can call it in.:p Only the a person with binoculars can plot it though.

How would they know? The commander keeps hitting V19!!! Bring up the map and you should see where he plotted it also.

Commanders are too lazy to run 1/2 way across the map, plot a strike then run all the way back to press the USE key?:eek: :rolleyes:

I'd guess that the commanders that camped the radio had a team full of nOObz who just wouldn't go by the radio and press USE. It would be much better for the team if the commander moved up to get a better sighting and had one rifleman camp the box to call in the strikes.

Upvote 0
MkH^ said:
I've been aware of this supposed possiblity for anyone to be able to call the arty since the game came out, but I don't think it works. Or maybe there's some sort of timer during which you have to call the artillery after the coordinates have been set? I don't know, but I've never managed to get this to work.

Most likely the commander gave up on anyone else doing it so he did it himself. Just a guess on that.

Another tip. Just because you can not see thru the fog doesn't mean you still can't plot thru it. When plotting thru fog I try a plot then bring up the map to see if its where I want it to hit. This is useful when no one else will go to the radio to give you a hand.:(

Upvote 0
mand0lesi said:
I am suprised a lot of you didn't know about this, as I too, read it in the manual. However, this talk of a non-commander not being able to use the radio confuses me. Can we get confirmation that it actually works? (I cannot try it out myself now)

Yes it works for me. I have not been a commander and still called them in for the commander.

Upvote 0
IMHO, you're wrong. As far as I am aware, only the commander can call in the arty. I even remember this being stated by a TW guy in another thread. The reasons are three:

1. Realisim: IRL, how would a soldier back at camp sat next to the radio know what co-ords to call in. he can't know.

2. Realisim: Authority. Do you think artillary crews accepted calls for bombardment just off anyone? Nope, the NCO would have to call it in.

3. Reality: Every 2nd guy who passes the radio would feel the need to activate it, resulting in an never ending rain of arty spam on some maps, and wasting it on others. Not to mention that timing strikes would be impossible.

I will try it tonight and issue very humble apologies if I'm wrong, but I'm 90% sure on the commander can call in the strike.

Upvote 0
This is a very interesting thread. On our server, we have tried this serveral times...and it just doesn't seem to work. Maybe it is a bug on some maps? Maybe the person who is going to actually use the radio to call it in needs to look at their map first?

I have read, too, the part in the manual that states it can be done... but it has not yet worked for any of us on our server.

Upvote 0
i have been freaking out almost over this. people who say read the god dam manual to me seem to be the ones who aren't reading this.
It just never seems to amaze me. One would not build a house without reading the plans so how is it that one would think he would know a game without reading the manual. They are there for a reason people.
Now, that been said, personally i call in strikes myself because no one else does when i ask so i have not actually been witness to this, however, it does not change the fact that the manual says anyone can call in a strike only if you are in a tank and feilding cordinates you must leave and call in yourself.
without predjudice
Good Gaming ! ! !:)

Upvote 0
Yes you can call in arty if the commander has set the coordinates. I was kicked for TK from Konigsplaz the other day because I hit Z button next to the radio, out of curiosity, and airstriked a bunch of guys who were capping a base:). BTW saved coordinates look like greyed-out mushroom cloud on situation map. But I didn't know that back then...

Upvote 0