• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are people actually bothered about objectives?

.:iGi:.U.G.H.

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 15, 2006
I'm finding most the time people aren't that interested in carrying out the objectives and just want to run around like it's team deathmatch. :(

So many times I find myself in a front line base on my own with no hope of capping it until some of the other 15 or whatever players on my side get into it.

For example, yesterday on Konigsplatz, we held the first 2 bases without change for half the round but nobody except me was making any effort to get to the next one. Finally I had enough and started telling people to push up on VOIP and to my amazement, they did, and it resulted in us actually managing to win the game in the end. :D

I notice this in so many conquest games. People in general just want to shoot people rather than win the game by carrying out the objectives. (I realise in RO that you can win just by running down their reinforcements but you can of course kill plenty of them while carrying out the objectives and IMO it's generally easier as if you flank them/get just behind them you can get some easy kills from them running forward to the front line. :cool: )

Yes, you did just what a more experienced RO player is required to do: Tell people to move and attack when it is in need or defend a certain objective. Those people that did what you asked will probably try to cap the objective on their own next time.
There have been times when my whole russian team has been defending our spawn in Odessa. :confused: We just need to advise and remind the new players what it is all about.

Remember, it's still early days and new players are coming in every day. They need to adjust and learn the maps before they know what to do. And we can help them. (And lets do it politely, right.)

caput

Upvote 0
.:iGi:.U.G.H. said:
I'm finding most the time people aren't that interested in carrying out the objectives and just want to run around like it's team deathmatch. :(

So many times I find myself in a front line base on my own with no hope of capping it until some of the other 15 or whatever players on my side get into it.

For example, yesterday on Konigsplatz, we held the first 2 bases without change for half the round but nobody except me was making any effort to get to the next one. Finally I had enough and started telling people to push up on VOIP and to my amazement, they did, and it resulted in us actually managing to win the game in the end. :D

I notice this in so many conquest games. People in general just want to shoot people rather than win the game by carrying out the objectives. (I realise in RO that you can win just by running down their reinforcements but you can of course kill plenty of them while carrying out the objectives and IMO it's generally easier as if you flank them/get just behind them you can get some easy kills from them running forward to the front line. :cool: )

Like I posted in the other thread I totally agree with this. In my opinion tactics and teamwork are some of the things making this game truly enjoyable. I hate it when 80 % of my team act like turrets placed around some remote area of the map.

But like you said if you start communicating on VOIP, there's always one or two guys who steps forward and help out. It's great.

//Salkin

Upvote 0
To be honest, i try but the fact that i always have to check the map (yes, my memory sucks) irritates me and then i just go where the fighting takes place and stay there. And on some maps the capture points are too, how do i say it, scattered.

Capturing points isnt very rewarding either imo except the points

Upvote 0
That's one thing I find really great in this game, is that I can enjoy playing it even without getting much kills. Last night on the Kaukasus map, on two consecutive rounds I didn't get a single kill, but still helped capturing objectives and thus winning the map. Really rewarding IMO. Most of my shots were intended to suppress the enemy and helping others to advance rather than to kill really :)
But I admit that for a begginer like me, it is sometimes difficult to know what to do on new maps, especially when you die and don't know where the action is going on....

Upvote 0
One of the biggest problems that I've seen with this is that people don't know how to tell when an objective is capturable or not. I see Russians on KransyiOktabyr (sp?) trying to take the Petrol Yard or Central Yard from the Germans all the time. I wish the map legend made note of the fact that faded objectives are not able to be taken.

Upvote 0
Looking at the map will tell you what you can and can't do (right side of map screen). If it doesn't say 'Capture the (someplace)', you cannot capture it. All attacking that position will do will get you absolutely nothing and get you nowhere.

As far as people just running around playing 'team deathmatch', just try to find a mature server to play on that takes the objectives seriously. It may take some time/searching, but good luck.

Upvote 0
Kalashnikov Slamdunk said:
but seriously tho, ressuplying mgrs gets u 5 points.
that is bs.
i got into the kakausus server, and after 6 minutes i had 10 points without killing anything.
in 8 minutes i was on top of the list with only 1 kill.

ressuplying mgers SHUDNT cost 5 points, i mean i did nothing and was on top.

Resupplying mgers is something (not nothing), it is important!

Maybe the point system may be off balance (in your opinion), but I think this helps foster teamplay, not the run off and do your own thing. Keeping the mgers supplied is very important, and I think the point system reflects that.

Sure it is nice being the high scorer, but I think it is more satisfying working as a team. Work together securing or capturing objectives, etc.

I think the more important thing here would be that you worked together to have your side win, not whether you were the high scorer.

Upvote 0
Kalashnikov Slamdunk said:
but seriously tho, ressuplying mgrs gets u 5 points.
that is bs.
i got into the kakausus server, and after 6 minutes i had 10 points without killing anything.
in 8 minutes i was on top of the list with only 1 kill.

ressuplying mgers SHUDNT cost 5 points, i mean i did nothing and was on top.
I don't think it's BS. The point system is designed to get everyone to work as a team and support each other. If everyone works as a team, then the guy with the most kills will come out on top with score. If some guy is acting like a lone-wolf, taking his LMG 100 meters behind enemy lines on the right flank unsupported (I see idiots do this constantly), he'll wind up at the bottom of the score list regardless of how many kills he has since he isn't helping the team.

The point system does have flaws, but thankfully points don't really have any impact on who wins the match, which is the only thing I care about whenever I play.

Upvote 0
This aint some arcade game m8, its a TEAM game...the point system is designed so people WORK TOGETHER and HELP eachother.

Resupplying MGs is very important, it can mean the difference to losing an objective or not, hnece the 5 pts.
Capping objectives IS THE WHOLE IDEA OF THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!! So of course you get max points for that!

Sounds like you with 47 pts were doing a good job FOR YOUR TEAM.

Killing the other team is just a neccessity to capture objectives.

Upvote 0