• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Counter-Strike Source

Tyr

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006
Maryland // New York
Hey everyone,
I know I know, the dreaded CS:S ohhhhh....

anyway, I've been involved with this game since wayyyy back in the beta days and can honestly say I sorta grew up with this game. In a rather disturbing way when I used to get sorta outcasted in high school this game provided me with a friend base and actually won me some popularity among the gamers in school. So, it will always have a special place with me no matter how much it gets F*ed up by updates and whatnot but at least the shield is gone.

back on track- I love RO:OST for the tank combat and the teamwork it forces and I hate it how everyone is just out for themselves in CS:S but at the same time I like the fast paced combat of that. But I've realized that I can play both games at once because they are different enough to not conflict too much. Generally I only like one genre of a game at at time for instance, Starcraft Counter-STrike and like Neverwinter Nights or something like that. But I think I can play both of these without worrying too much about splitting my time. And when one annoys me too much I'll just go to the other.

Anyone else been a CSer for a long time and feel similar?

I have played source for quite a while now (8 months?) and I consider myself quite good at it. However, I cannot walk into a server without being assaulted by the high pitched voice of a adolescent or someone screaming "Boom headshot". The gameplay is still fun for lans and some other sporadic gameplay, but I prefer the realism, and maturity of the RO fan base much more then CS>

Upvote 0
they do, in the misc under your sounds but then each server runs a slightly different mod or something of the like and makes a subfolder under misc.

Yea, I know what you mean about the spurts of desire to play it again. I know I'm addicted lol. I keep bouncing between source and another game that keeps changing but always coming back eventually. C'est la vie.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I played CS since version 1.0 (since I didn't have cable back before 2002), and had to buy the retail product because of SLOW-A** 56k. I still played it though, with 300+ pings and loved it. :) I remember long nights of cs_assault and cs_militia, some of my favorite maps ever. Yeah CS has kinda been screwed with updates and kids with mics (anyone remember that download to play songs over your HL in-game chat?), but it's still fun from a time to time.

When I moved down to GA from IN (I had lived in Indiana for 10 years, and kinda rebelled against integrating into GA... I was just 15 at the time though), I played the hell out of CS (also, I moved from Indianapolis to a VERY rural area... like no movie theatres/no best buy/no compUSA/3 grocery stores and a train that runs through main street small) due to a lack of getting along with the extreme rednecks of my school. It really was an outlet for frustrations with life, and while this sounds really strange, I think a majority of gamers who use games to even just let off steam can somewhat relate. CS will always have a special place to me just for the literal months of gameplay it offered. Best $40 ever spent.

Upvote 0
Tyr said:
wow, we have a similar release in CS... I always wondered if that's why the called it steam...
hahah nice.
I know I'm not "1337" or whatever you call it because I actually first owned CS when source came out, so I'm not that good and I'm not much aware with it's histories, lingo, etc. But I personally prefer source over regular, and as with you as well, it has also been a "source" :))) of letting off some "steam' (double :)). I got burned out during highschool cuz our school system is run by a bunch of academic nazis, so CS:S was my haven. Funny enough, I came to CS from Medal of Honor, allied assault, and I thought CS was the most realistic game I have ever played, and that's what drew me to it lol (Mohaa was as arcade as you could get, but it was still fun as hell). Unfortunately, I had to give my computer away to my siblings in turn for a crappy laptop since I'm in college now, so I can't run source anymore. O well

Upvote 0
First game I played was(besides pacman :D)is CS 1.0,I grew up with it,playing on LAN mostly,and started playing online(source) at 2005/2006 christmas
and I like the game,when I need some fast-paced action and 1337ness
Although,the game is amazing when you team up with one person atleast,I did it with some guy named Rage,from PYRO clan,Germany,we just pwned up prodigy :D

Upvote 0
Hah! When I was in high school I had one buddy that played Starcraft and no one else played games, especially any FPS like quake... Infact I would say that would be the downfall of CS. I started playing the very day that beta1 came out(june 99), but it was just utterly ruined by the time everyone and their brother was playing it. There was just nothing left of the mod after retail. The community is the worst and cheating is so rampant. Not to mention once CAL came along, the 5v5FF format ruined true league fun such as RiTD 7v7(sorry, there is no strategy in 5v5, it's pure deathmatch) and made cheating the standard for clan matches. Can you imagine RO being whittled down to 5v5 team DM?

The reason I liked RO as a mod was mainly because of the community, I hope the retail stays the same. I've seen a few more immature players than before, but I don't think RO will attract those kind of idiots.

Upvote 0
well first off, 5v5 wouldn't be ever implemented because the maps are much larger in RO then CS.

Secondly, I actually found that CAL was more fun than just pubbing around in CS because it was actually very very in depth if you had practices and economy lessons. If you just take it on face value then sure it seems like a bunch of kids but my clan had nightly practice, where each night was either map strats or a skill like grenade throwing and then we discussed economy and what to buy and when and in what situations we were going to purchase what.

If you take it to that level the game becomes very detailed and fun.

But yes, unfortunately the majority of the game seems to be plagued with immaturity but in at least every semi-full server there are always a few of us oldies, don't give up hope.

Upvote 0
I feel like I am pretty much about the same overall 1337ness I've always been if not a little better for being a little wiser. I used to be more reckless which would get me kills but I don't know if my new more reserved and smart style is really any better just different.

But yes, it is rewarding to destroy the little ones who talk big no matter what age they are I find.

But like was said, find 2-3 people you can tag around with in-game and it will be an awesome experience even against bots

Upvote 0
had some really good games tonight of CS:S but I'm still having the issue of random drops by my school network so it's hard to play for any length of time without getting frustrated.

But when I was there I was holding 3:1 or above 2:1 at least. It was fun, I forget how clumsy some people can be when they aren't working with a clan, I've been used to that for awhile now

Upvote 0