• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Does turning off Motion Blur give an advantage?

Wk~ said:
To be honest, this is a pretty lax game when it comes to system requirements, and at a certain point, it should become the responsibility of the gamer to update to the game's requirements (especially when they are already far below standards right now), and not the responsibility of the game to boil down to the lowest common denominator.

In short, you can't please everyone, and if you need to turn off motion blur that bad to get any FPS you can, then I would suggest saving up a paycheck or two and investing that into a mid-level graphics card that would most likely perform excellently here.

Do you realise that for some people updating their pc just isn't at the top of their priority list of their budjets?

Upvote 0
bazoulle said:
I know people might complain that their machine is not up to speed to run DX9 and that rules like that are not fair...honestly that's not my problem and I will not tolerate unfair advantages on my server since it kills the fun for everyone.
So, let me get this straight...you're telling me that my 13 FPS is an ADVANTAGE? Believe me, I'd much rather have the blur.

Wk~ said:
To be honest, this is a pretty lax game when it comes to system requirements
No. The LISTED system requirements are pretty lax. But as countless people on this forum have pointed out, the game is not running acceptably for many who have systems above (some well above) the listed requirements.

Upvote 0
I have mine set on D3D, why? Because I was having unplayably low fps on some maps. So when I searched the forums, the OFFICIAL SOLUTION (http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2924) was to turn from D3D 9 to D3D. So there, its the devs responsibility to ensure that those that do not have the best pc in the world can play without a unfair advantage or disadvantage. I'm sure this will be one of the top priority bug fixes in the upcomming patch.
*EDIT* When shot at I get no visual effect at all (nope not even darkening of screen). Just the whistle of the bullet going by me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hrm, now that I think about it it is actually a DISadvantage to have blur off.

Why? You might ask. Well, becuase it makes it alot harder to know when you are under fire :). Knowing when you are under fire is often key to survival. If you dont know you are being supressed then you are likely to do something stupid like stand up and get shot in the face.

Natural selection at its finest :D.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Hrm, now that I think about it it is actually a DISadvantage to have blur off.

Why? You might ask. Well, becuase it makes it alot harder to know when you are under fire :). Knowing when you are under fire is often key to survival. If you dont know you are being supressed then you are likely to do something stupid like stand up and get shot in the face.

Natural selection at its finest :D.

You know when your under fire because your screen flashes black.

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
I have mine set on D3D, why? Because I was having unplayably low fps on some maps. So when I searched the forums, the OFFICIAL SOLUTION (http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2924) was to turn from D3D 9 to D3D. So there, its the devs responsibility to ensure that those that do not have the best pc in the world can play without a unfair advantage or disadvantage. I'm sure this will be one of the top priority bug fixes in the upcomming patch.
*EDIT* When shot at I get no visual effect at all (nope not even darkening of screen). Just the whistle of the bullet going by me.

qft

People are acting like this is cheating. I have no choice, and to be honest, I'd rather have the immersive factor of the motion blur, the better graphics, the lack of lag, more than 10 fps under stressful situations etc... But what I would really like is to move out of my parents home (cash money)...

Upvote 0
It's not cheating if it's a standard variable that can be set by the client. It may well be an exploit and some server admins and players would find it objectionable but unless the devs declare a client-side variable a "cheat" and disable it for on-line gaming you'll have to live w/it by either enforcing the ruleset at your server or forcing it via server-side scripting (if that's possible in this game).

Remember...cheating is doing something to modify code that should not be modified and only the devs can decide if it's a "cheat" or not. If it's a variable that they allow to be client-side AND can be modified by the player in-game it's not a cheat. Exploit? perhaps...but not a "cheat".

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
it's probably possible, like when people used to disable the weather effects in MOH/Spearhead. sadly, people will always sneak whatever pathetic, sad little advantages they can get away with.

as for you (and me), just enjoy the game with all the effects and have a good time. :D

what do u mean its "probably" possible? just set ur game to d3d and ur good to go.
i did it for a while, my game lagged a lot less. but i cudnt stand being cheap, and not being slwoed down by nades. its complete bull***** im telling u.
no mater what happaned to me i could run around full speed and look around and stuff.
it sucks that there is a way to get around the motion blurr, and i think the devs need to implement it into direct 3d. RIGHT NOW.

Upvote 0