• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

There seems to be a few musicians here..... vol. 2

Arete

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 26, 2005
Sweden
www.aretemusic.tk
I remember the thread on the old mod forums, so I thought we could do with a new one :)

So if you're making music, be it in a band or solo, covers or original works, put some of them here. It's always fun to hear what people is up to :)

I can start off with some of my latest:
Arete - Tushta - soft electronica piece akin to Arovane/Aphex Twin/Boards of Canada.
Arete feat. Compute - Patchwork (beta mix) - This is more of a lo-fi pop/electro song, with vocals by me and Compute, a very cool electro girl :)
Arete - To the Sky - Soft electropop song with an ambient touch, vocals by me.
Arete - Keep it to Myself - A bit weirder song, heavily processed drums. Probably my best vocal performance to date. Closest musical reference would be Coil.

So don't be shy, post some of your stuff too :-D

My first homemade music

My first homemade music

Here is a pice of homemade music made on my new porta.
It's still a "trash" version where almost everything is un-tight played but it's for learning to handle the studio and recordings tech with I know zero about but learning more each day.

I sang the low harmony, played the bass, two rythm guitars, leadguitar and even played the banjo in one mix but I don't think you can here the banjo on this mix.

I have gotten me a new mic so I can record the acustic guitar more properly. On this recording I used a mic for vocals and where not able to avoid the soundhole of the guitar as much as I wanted.

But next version will be better, I hope.

I called the project Ole and the woodpickers because the singers name is Ole and Woodpickers may sound corny but I think it reveals partly how it sounds.

The lyrics by the way is written by a guy from Kentucky but lives in Sweden nowdays. This recording is for him.

West Kentucky road

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks a lot guys!
I'm gonna use a de-esser next time for shure!

What brand of porta did you use, and what mic's?

The porta is a "Roland VS-2480-CD" but on this first project I haven't learned to use all the functions for mastering and writing to disc yet so I just took the signal from the headphones output and put it into a "Boss 1180" porta to write on disc from there.

The microphone I used for the vocals and acustic guitar is a cheap "MT87" (condenser), but I had some severe problems to point it away from the soundhole on the acustic guitar because it's picking up sound in "omni" mode.

Upvote 0
Here's some tracks from my on-again, off-again rock band - it's called Musidora. The name comes from a silent movie actress who played the first female film vampire.

We've all got really busy careers in many different backgrounds, so we don't get to play much anymore. The guitarist is a fine artist and graphic designer, the singer is a theatre producer and actress, the drummer played timpani and mallet percussion for the Florida Philharmonic Orchestra, and I (bassist) work full-time in web and multimedia design, so music is not exactly our day job. :)

Studio recordings:Live recordings:A few pics of us playing out:
Culture Room:
cultureroom1_meredith_eddie.jpg

At the Wallflower Gallery in downtown Miami:
One
Two
At Miami's Metro Zoo as part of a Halloween festival. Hehe, playing hard songs about the singer's mother trying to drown her to a bunch of kids. Yay!
One

---------------------------------

Hellecaster: Man, that is a great recording! As with Arete, it's not the kind of music I typically listen to, but the production and musicianship is first-rate.

Arete: I really like Patchwork. It's the kind of music I listen to while working, in the vein of something like Yoko Kanno's mellower pieces for the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack.

Upvote 0