• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

German MG's crap?

I'm pretty sure it's the animation rather than the recoil that's killing this gun. People say "aim in bursts, that's how they did it in real life!". But if you fire in bursts the iron sights go all over the place shaking and you can't see where the hell you're aiming. I've had most success with the MG42 firing prelonged bursts of 10-20 rounds. The recoil is a ***** but you can at least predict that, and the iron sights keep fairly steady when you hold down fire. Downside being the recoil is a hard to manage and you chew through ammo and barrels very quickly.

Upvote 0
Personally the only thing that's gotten me killed when using mg's was when I had assumed a position that provided only a very limited arc of fire (which can be easily flanked by troops) as well as running out of ammunition/reloading/changing barrels. Or being grenaded, or shot by snipers and marksmen, etc. This is where nearby teammates can become handy too providing ammo and covering fire while you reload or change barrels. Changing positions after every 5 enemies dead also works too, throwing the enemy off everytime they come back for you when they respawn. Also, don't hesitate to expend your entire belt or magazine in the face of a furious onslaught... cuz you'll die anyways :p

Also, in maps like Odessa and Kessel, mg's are completely capable of wasting entire columns of troops as long as you catch them in corridors and other narrow areas where you can mow them down. It's also good if you assume a firing position from a high angle, thus giving you a larger field of vision but also minimizing obstacles that could be otherwise used as cover by enemy troops.

It's only hard to use mg's on maps like konigsplaza or that-frozen-airfield-map-who's-name-escapes-me-at-the-moment though, where you are at a almost level angle with your enemies and thus bullets can end up passing harmlessly above their heads, or where your limited arc of fire can allow troops to flank you easily, since you have to cover practically an entire field.

Upvote 0
The 42 is alright, but there's really no reward for using it as a supression weapon, considering the fact it's pretty inaccurate at range, any reasonable rifleman can shoot you in the face even while hes being "Supressed" I don't see how any RO player will be effectively supressed by the MG42 because it's easier to just pop up, shoot him in the head and keep moving, you know the chances of it hitting you are pretty low, it's just so inaccurate at range.

The 42 is overly difficult to use and it seems to be a bit of a let down, the 34 is more effective and it really shoulden't be :)

Upvote 0
SenorDingDong said:
The 42 is Garbage right now in its current state, there is no reason why anyone would take it over the 34.

The recoil, and bullet spread is just rediculous. It has to be toned down in order for this to be useful.

As for now I'll stick with the 34.
I would take it.... I get some distance and start laying down supressing fire, works damned well :D.

Upvote 0
The MG's are supposed to be used in squads. An MG puts down surpression fire on a target and the rest of the squad directs their fire/assault to the target that is under fire. Half the time the MG kills the target. The rest of the time, if done properly, the MG will force the target to not be able to effectively return fire and the rest of the squad can easily get him. MG's should always be kept at a distance.

These were the tactics used by all sides in WWII. Each squad of soldiers had at least 1 LMG or MMG and it was used for supression/covering fire. It's still done today.

This is not how the MG's are used by people in the game. Most lone-wolf it and setup on the flanks without much support. They basically become rifle-bait. Teamwork is key to a MG's survival and success, as it is for any class in this game.

Oh and anyone that says the 42 is too inaccurate or the spread is too much, you're using too long of bursts.

Upvote 0