• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tired already?

Jack said:
What bothers me is that the number of servers is dropping. It was touching 500 over the weekend, but now is down to 398.
If server numbers are going down, that shows the people running them don't think it is worth their money to maitain a server for extended time, which isn't a good indicator.
Normally when a game is released, it goes steadily up till a climax point, then players numbers level off. With ROOST, the numbers appear to have already reached that climax, as server count is now going down as oppossed to climbing like it was last week.
Granted, the retail box will boost numbers, but people have to keep in mind that the same processes will be in effect for those that buy retail as for those that bought it over Steam.
We will probably see a large spike when the retail release hits all over the world, but then after a week, it too will probably begin to fall off and level out.
I think the realistic nature of the gameplay truly is the big thing in ROOST keeping most gamers away. Graphics and physics cant be as large of a factor as people claim....if they were, what the heck are MoH:AA, BF42, and BF:V doing way up on top of ROOST?
The fact is that I think ROOST looks as if it is following a curve more usually associated with sim games. Their online communities are never as huge as those of the mainstream fps games, but they tend to be more solvent and dedicated to their respective sim.

the server stat you point to is irrelevent for several reasons, the first of which is that at a minimum a server rental contract is a monthly thing. no way some have been cancelled already. secondly, there's a bug in the in-game browser that has servers disappearing after a time, and they will only re-appear again after the server is re-started. That issue is being worked on, IIRC.

The overall "advertising" exposure of this game is far less than any other of the above mentioned titles by far. TWI cannot compete with the advertising budgets of the big companies. there were TV commercials for CoD2 fer chrissakes. of course they are going to draw more players.

The second part of your post makes more sense, and it's this; most FPS gamers are twist/jerk festival lovers, the stat whores, the run & gun and bunny hop crowd. that's just the way it is. this game will never attract those kinds of players, and thankfully so. those kinds of players have ruined (or attmpted to ruin) almost every FPS I have played, and I have played them all. the only way to avoid them was to play on well-admin'd servers with strict rules.

it is my considered opinion that RO:O will establish itself in a nice market nitch, with a comfortable amount of players, servers and a viable modding community (the After-Hourz guys come to mind there). this game does not have "mass market" appeal, and frankly I am glad that it does not. because with mass market comes the dregs!

Upvote 0
Heinz said:
the server stat you point to is irrelevent for several reasons, the first of which is that at a minimum a server rental contract is a monthly thing. no way some have been cancelled already. secondly, there's a bug in the in-game browser that has servers disappearing after a time, and they will only re-appear again after the server is re-started. That issue is being worked on, IIRC.

The overall "advertising" exposure of this game is far less than any other of the above mentioned titles by far. TWI cannot compete with the advertising budgets of the big companies. there were TV commercials for CoD2 fer chrissakes. of course they are going to draw more players.

The second part of your post makes more sense, and it's this; most FPS gamers are twist/jerk festival lovers, the stat whores, the run & gun and bunny hop crowd. that's just the way it is. this game will never attract those kinds of players, and thankfully so. those kinds of players have ruined (or attmpted to ruin) almost every FPS I have played, and I have played them all. the only way to avoid them was to play on well-admin'd servers with strict rules.

it is my considered opinion that RO:O will establish itself in a nice market nitch, with a comfortable amount of players, servers and a viable modding community (the After-Hourz guys come to mind there). this game does not have "mass market" appeal, and frankly I am glad that it does not. because with mass market comes the dregs!

100 % agreed

Upvote 0
Heinz said:

thank you for stating the obvious

Upvote 0
hehe I dont get to go on spring break for a month and have been playing this feverishly since release. Along with the fact im a full time student and I have a part time jobs thats really only a few hours short of being fulltime itself. When a games good its good, and when its like that everything else goes on the back burner. hehe. I was just a bit disapointed in the lack of action going on last night, but i have never heard of the server browser bug til now so that might have very well been a problem. Though I'd hate to see such an ingenious game go unrecognized.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I feel some people are definitely overreacting. I don't think this is comparable to your standard game, and as such I'd be very surprised if two months from now you're not seeing significantly better figures than you were, say, this past friday/saturday.

-People are waiting to buy the game in stores

-People want to play/try the demo before they purchase, and I think this really applies to people who are thinking about renting a server (who wants to throw down money without any first hand experience on the game?)

Not to mention

-Real life (job, school, etc.)

-Some people just got on spring break (me included, I go to UMass-Amherst, Greasemonkey at GT, most likely at least dozens more in the same situation) and can't play

-Technical issues that will be sorted out

Give it time, I don't think you will be disappointed. Obviously you will have people stop playing when they figure out it's just not their game, but I sincerely doubt that the number of people who realize how incredible the game is, is lower than those who leave the game, for what it's worth.

From other forums it seems to be the general opinion is that it's a great game coming from people who have bought it, and those who haven't want to buy it.

Upvote 0
Tak said:
This has been a damned pooey Monday, work sucked and if I logged in I'd just be bitchin' into the VoIP, and that's not good for anyone ;)
Ya, Like he said.. I cant really play on Weekdays. School and Part-time work.. Really gets me mad or happy. and on happy days i got the Girl over :) Weekends, its prefect for me :) the Girl is with her parents.. (i still dont know y though :( )

Upvote 0
Well, if I was not a fan of sim games of the like of Lock-On, Flight Simulator or GTR Racing...looking at a tank that feels like a hotwheels tank for example...would drive me away; but it does not because I am in love with 95% of the game...but the small 5% that does not workout very well is driving off some players.

A few tons tanks being stopped cold by a small wooden fence...at least the engine could allow tank to go through them because I know that modelling and animating damage for all props on a field would require a Cray to manage all that. When you are crouched and you get too close to a desk/box/sand bags...you pop out on top...now that sucks a bit. Also, having am ennemi bot walking around you without shooting at you even if he evens bumps on you..that kinda kills the fun a bit.

Is it major? no; Will it keep me from enjoying the game? No; Does it bug me a bit...yes. Will it bug most gamers to a point where comparison to COD2 will be instantly made: absolutely.

BUT COD2 is a multimillion dolloars game...Red Orchestra is a freaks made game spinoff from a MOD (sorry Tripwire but someone that goes through that much trouble to make such a great game wth so many details with so little resources must have issues of some sort ;) After all, I enjoy taking computers apart and debugging Windowz...so among freaks we can call each other freaks ;) lol

Can you expect the same from both...it would be unfair...HOWEVER: Tripwire's support so far it 1000000% better than EA or Ubisoft. They are listenning and working their ass off fixing the various issues...would have EA contacted Zonealarm already if they would have had trouble...I don't think so.

As a customer eveyone is entitled to complaint, ask, rant, etc...as long as it is done respectfully. But you also have to keep in mind that a publisher/dev/seller can't make everyone happy and it's always a "give or take" dilema for all decisions made for ANY product and Red Orchestra is no exception.

Upvote 0
I doubt, or at least HOPE, that it's not the little bugs driving people away. If you are so worried about a bug as insignificant as popping up onto a sandbag if you are crouched, then I don't understand how you can play any one game out there right now, professional or not.

I honestly think of the people who "left", since we're only really using one day as evidence of some mass exodus, it was most likely because this game was just not for them, not because of bad tech support, or some silly little bug. Which is fine, and how it should be.

Upvote 0
You guys are prone to overreacting.

Only couple days ago there was thread touting RO as mega popular online etc.

Now we have "tired already" thread...

While the fact is - numbers as reported by in-game browser and GameSpy barely changed! In fact on average they didn't change at all. On week evening RO has peak of 1500 players, and tad bit over 400 servers. It was like that last friday, it is like that now. So there was no "mass exodus", and there was no great overcrowding either. I had great gaming days both yesterday and today.

It's too early to draw conclusions. So far, RO attained solid popularity though I must repeat that I hoped it will go above and beyond DOD:S, which, unfortunatelly, didn't happen (yet).

O.

Upvote 0
I think they need/must add some different types of gameplay. It would attrack different type of players.

It is a big drawback to only have one type of gameplay. This is not a mod anymore, it's a stand alone game, they must grow with it or it may just be for a restricted few that will always come back to this type of gameplay.

Add the gameplays and they will come!

Upvote 0
well this next monday ( 27th ) my army training starts, so i wont be there during weeks mostly, only weekends.
im gonna play RO real life :D except for the fact that my trusty Mosin will be turned in for a Diemaco C7 :rolleyes:

why more game modes? this is war mates. territorial control.
for a hill men would kill but why they do not know.. sound familiar? ^^

Upvote 0
Well, I took a brief survey today at my school and my clan etc etc... These are all told by ppl to me, so I think some are great.. theres only a couple that are negative! ROOST will grow when the Box comes!!! Turst me!:)

---------My school Firends that play say.. ----------------
*"ROOST is awsome! But, the little bugs kinda get annoying after a while"

*"I love the tanks and Certain map's! Those are what keep me going, and some infantry maps"

* I just love it! The gameplay and the tatics are amazing!! I love, being in a tank and seeing how kool it is to see Germans/Russians coming at you and just firing off shells with ur pals! (me .KilrBe3 :) )

---------My Clan mates/My dad (lol) say..-----------

*"ROOST is fun nick (thats me) But, I know you play CS:S but damm, I like this game.. But the ragdolls are kinda dumb and the robot running. Tanks are great! And look just like it!"
**NOTE:: My dad is a Hardcore gamer like me, CS:S, ROOST, COD2, BF2.. Reads PC Gamer alot so hes up to date on ******

*" RO:O is kool, But the bugs are kinda annoying. GFX could be a little better, more of a Brightness and Contrast would be kool. Gameplay is awosme, and love the tatics over all"

* "RO is just plain dumb....The gameplay sucks.. GFX blow.. So laggy you cant even have fun in tank duels.. Weapons are poop.. wasted 25$ on this 1"
**Note:: Came from some radom guy in a RO:O chat room on MSN**

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
You guys are prone to overreacting.

Only couple days ago there was thread touting RO as mega popular online etc.

Now we have "tired already" thread...

While the fact is - numbers as reported by in-game browser and GameSpy barely changed! In fact on average they didn't change at all. On week evening RO has peak of 1500 players, and tad bit over 400 servers. It was like that last friday, it is like that now. So there was no "mass exodus", and there was no great overcrowding either. I had great gaming days both yesterday and today.

It's too early to draw conclusions. So far, RO attained solid popularity though I must repeat that I hoped it will go above and beyond DOD:S, which, unfortunatelly, didn't happen (yet).

O.

That's the idea though: the numbers haven't changed much.

Ideally, we would be seeing a steady increase in players, the leveling off of player counts is something that usually happens when a game has been out for several weeks, not 6 days. The fact numbers are holding steady is good in that it shows people aren't leaving, but it is also not good because it demonstrates that not many new people are coming in either.

Also, for whoever said server numbers are "irrelevent" because the in-game browser is messed up, I was referring to the number of servers as reported by Gamespy stats. If server count goes down, up, or stays the same, that is definitely relevent.

Ultimately we won't need to argue the details for much longer, we can simply sit back and watch developments.

In the meantime, we can make educated guesses as to how ROOST will do in the long-term by using past examples.

For one, it would be interesting to see how sales of niche games went up after favorable reviews were published. That could give us some idea as to how much of increase we would see once the professional reviews start rolling in.

Upvote 0
[Claude]Claude said:
ROOST is the best game ever made. I thought the MOD was, but no I was wrong.

The people who matter are the people who will love this style of gameplay. And there's enough of them to keep us going for ages yet.

It's that simple.

I take great comfort in that statement man! thanks, you made my afternoon. I dislike unnecessary negativity and complaining. Seems like the same repeating process with every game release, no matter how good.

anyways, thank you, and I really mean that man! :)

Upvote 0