• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Thoughts from a penguin in exile...

/linuX/gitano

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
germany
Well, well...

I think it is time to post some thoughts and impressions, after playing this game for a week, now.

First of all, yes i purchased this game, and yes, i partitioned my harddrive and yes i went through the mess installing windoze...
Being a die-hard Linux-gamer for 2 years now, having played the RedOrchestra mod for over one year and being the leader of a Linux-only clan i hope u guys can imagine what that means to me :D.

But...what am i not doing to keep playing this game...and it is indeed AWESOME.

Ok, first impressions have been a bit confused, it was like "wtf is wrong with carabine-sounds", but u get used to them very fast. The sound-system at all is stunning...really dense and realistic athmosphere.
Do i have to say something regarding the graphics? I dont think so, it has always been exactly the thing i loved about RO, the love for details, nature, skyboxes etc....it is still stunning in the mod and has even been improved in RO:OST.
Gameplay has been improved as well, no mini nukes anymore (e.g. nades), spawn protection, very well balanced maps, good cap-system, ... .
I love the new vehicles available, StuG's, light tanks etc. they really do make sense in combined arms maps, f.e. in Bondarevo.
As for the remaining bugs and issues, i think most has been posted here allready, and i really believe these are going to be fixed very soon, as TW has proven in the past, they really have an ear towards the community.

Well, what do i have to add, it is a quality job, Tripwire, you guys really deserve getting the money for this work!
I think this game will remain on the market for quite a long time, not at least because its imcompareable to most of the other titles available.
And looking forward to a SDK...gawd what possibilities will be there, then...if u guys will let things modifyable, i think the community will love you for an even longer time! (/me thinks about romanian, italian etc. skins...new maps dealing with these units, winterwar mods etc. etc....rawrrr :))

Regarding the Steam Linux/ Mac incompability...i hope u guys will keep in mind us Unix folx, we're still there supporting you excellent game-developers!
Maybe someday u guys will have a chance to convince you're online publisher that there is a need for a native Linux/ Mac Steam client...maybe someday...we can wait! :)

greetz,
gitano