• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Satchels............

Fraizinger

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Over the last few days i have been playing RO. I love using the Sapper (i forget the German name for it). The sapper is the one with the pack of C4 and the PPSH/MP40.

Anyways I put a satchel on a tank today and the tank just drove away. I thought to my self, why dont they stick to the tanks. In WW2 they uses stickey bombs. Why dont we have the advantage to stick it to a tank. If stickey bombs dont work let us have the option to press our attach bayonet key( i belive it is the alt fire button) to place on the tank, then we have to right click to pull the cord.

Fraizinger said:
Over the last few days i have been playing RO. I love using the Sapper (i forget the German name for it). The sapper is the one with the pack of C4 and the PPSH/MP40.

Anyways I put a satchel on a tank today and the tank just drove away. I thought to my self, why dont they stick to the tanks. In WW2 they uses stickey bombs. Why dont we have the advantage to stick it to a tank. If stickey bombs dont work let us have the option to press our attach bayonet key( i belive it is the alt fire button) to place on the tank, then we have to right click to pull the cord.
C4 is post ww2 explosive.

And only americaners lowered to use those sock made "sticky bombs", lol. (Well I have to admit they did work well)

Upvote 0
Felix Ostheim said:
Can't you throw the satchel onto the tank behind the turret?

In the original RO I was tasked to defend a tower ... alone! I had two satchel charges and I sat huddled behind cover as two German tanks rolled up to the base of the tower to take the objective. Because they didn't need to enter the tower, or even exit the tanks, they could just sit there as the objective meter scrolled by. I knew I had to do something but my options were low.

I risked peeking out the window and down the side of the tower and was overjoyed to see that they had parked right next to each other. So, I dropped a satchel on top of each tank and ducked back inside.

Both tanks blew and all four soldiers were blown sky high.

Suffice it to say, there was a alot of WTFs going around. :D

Anyway, my point is that sometimes you need to be creative about how to use the satchel charges. I sneak up and pop them under a tank, I've put them on top, I've dropped them inside half-tracks, I've even used them to create a sufficient distraction to get a squad of men to a position undetected.

But if I were to offer an alternative to the satchel, I'd say that perhaps when you choose the engineer class you could select from a list of explosive types. For instance, you could select dynamite for more calculated detonations, satchel charges, mines, etc.

Upvote 0
You want the bomb to stick? How lazy can you be? It's a satchel charge, no where in the discription does it say a sticky charge. If somehow you did put something sticky to it and attached it to the tank the weight of the satchel would probably make it fall off. Now maybe if somehow you ducttaped a large magnet to your satchel charge, then it might stick.

Upvote 0
MkH^ said:
Can't comment on the starter post, but the satchel charges are way overpowered against heavy tanks. Sure it could destroy the engine, optics or other sensitive parts, but apart from the concussion effect, I doubt it would hurt the crew. Shaped charges were developed for a reason.

They were, yes. So you could kill tanks with gun-fired shells and smaller rockets/grenades.

On the other hand there is something to be said for using a ridiclous amount of explosives; the satchel charge in RO is what, 10kg? Any modern shaped charge is going to be a lot lighter than that, and most satchel attacks hit the weakest-armored points of the tank.

Upvote 0
Phoenix-D said:
On the other hand there is something to be said for using a ridiclous amount of explosives; the satchel charge in RO is what, 10kg? Any modern shaped charge is going to be a lot lighter than that, and most satchel attacks hit the weakest-armored points of the tank.

Unshaped explosives really don't have as much power against tanks as the amount of explosive would imply. Sure the top armour was thin, but the unshaped explosive placed on top of the tank would explode upwards away from the tanks top. And damaging/destroying an engine is unlikely to violently blow up a heavy tank killing all inside.. like it does ingame consistantly.

Upvote 0