• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Critical Error - LockRect failed: D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE

[69th]Batman

Mar 19, 2006
Good Morning RO Devs,

I have been having issues with trying to play RO since it was released earlier this week.

Everytime I try connecting to a server, and it loads the map I get the following error:

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]
CPU: GenuineIntel Unknown processor @ 3195 MHz with 1021MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (8421)

LockRect failed: D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE
History: UD3D9RenderDevice::ReadPixels <- UD3D9RenderDevice::present <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Bondarevo: Western Russia, 8th July 1942 <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 4C576C61 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Now, I have been able to play a few times, in the past couple of days. But either on a map change, or after a few minutes of play, my game will crash to my desktop and I will get the error posted above.

I spent about 30 minutes in your MIRC channel yesterday, and taled to a guy with the handle of "Dwarden" He gave me a few suggestions, but to no avil, the game kept crashing with the same error. He informed me to post my error message, and log files in the forums, so it can be looked into more closely.

I have tried uninstalling RO , and reinstalling. I have turned off my firewall, defraged my hard drive, upgarded my video drivers to the latest version. To no avail, I get the same error message.

My hardware specs are as follows:
Pentium 4 3.2 ghz
1 gb ram
Nvidia 6800 oc edition
Creative Audighy2 sound card

All other games on my computer run without issues includeing BF2, Source games, and COD 2 to name a few. RO is the only game giving me issues.

I have uploaded my LOG files (RO log and trip_postfx log) to http://www.mnbatman.com/RO/

Hopefully this issue will be looked into. I just want to play RO, like veryone else. I feel my $$ has been waisted on a defective product.

Again any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated

-Bats

daschewy said:
what did he tell you to do?

He looked at my log files, deleted the RO.ini file and restarted RO. Tried changing a few things in the RO.INI file, still nothing works. Same error message.

As stated above, he informed me to post my logs and error message here in the forums so it would be looked at.

Im just want to get the game fixed, and play it. Basicaly its been a waist of $24.00, and sitting on the sidelines

Upvote 0
Okay well that's def not gonna help. The problem is with the rendering device, something is wrong with the Direct3d9.0 driver so in your .ini file you are going to have to change it from Direct3d9.0 to either Direct3d or OpenGL.

For example, this would have it so that only Direct3d is the rendering device. I would just leave it in Direct3d or OpenGL until the problem has a permanent fix. Also to get OpenGL you just put a semicolon in front of the first three line and take off the semicolon infront of the OpenGL line.

;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

Upvote 0
daschewy said:
Okay well that's def not gonna help. The problem is with the rendering device, something is wrong with the Direct3d9.0 driver so in your .ini file you are going to have to change it from Direct3d9.0 to either Direct3d or OpenGL.

For example, this would have it so that only Direct3d is the rendering device. I would just leave it in Direct3d or OpenGL until the problem has a permanent fix. Also to get OpenGL you just put a semicolon in front of the first three line and take off the semicolon infront of the OpenGL line.

;RenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice
RenderDevice=D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=Engine.NullRenderDevice
;RenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice

Is there away to completly do a fesh install of the Direct3d9.0 driver. From the information I pulled from Microsoft, once DX9 is installed, and cant be uninstalled. I have just reinstalled it a few times, and it says successfull. But if there is a way to do a a fesh uninstall, and clean install I could try that is someone could walk me through it.

I took a few moments, and ran the dxdiag by clciking start/run/dxdiag. I ran tests on d3d. Accoriding to windows its running fine without any probelems. Im not saying it isnt the d3d, becuase something isnt right with the game.

I was able to play for a awhile aroung 6:30am this morning, i got into a server just fine and played for 20 minutes, no errors at all. I logged off, and exited steam. I came back around 9:30am and the Error came back.

Another way I can tell if I am going to get "The Error" is it will load the map the server is on, loading takes 2 minutes for me , which seems long, when I finaly get into the server, I dont even get to choose which side I am going to be on. I will see "Viewing Self" on the top of the screen, and the battlefield. The whole screen will freeze, and bump me out to the desktop with "The Error"

It seems wierd that sometimes I can play without issues, but other times the game doesnt work at all.

I will try switching the rendering devices in the morning. I work overnights, so its time for me to get some sleep. The question i have about switching to opengl, is the graphics going to look like crap if I play it in that mode? If its the only way i can play, i guess that will have to do, but I hope the DEV's comment on this issue or at leats say they are working on a fix.

Thnaks for the help guys, hopefully It will be running without erros soon

-Bats

Upvote 0
the link with the log is deffective :p i cant acces the log file.

Anyway, for now most ppl can atleast play it under opengl. So you can atleast play it but. Your problem is definately fixable. it just can take some time ^^.

ANd if you want to test an other game you should test the ut2004 demo ;), not games on a completely different engine.

If you want to try the openGL render.
read this:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126638&postcount=7

Last edited:
Upvote 0