• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Jumping, Ladders & Ropes

Sgt Darkside

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 10, 2006
Hi,

want to say brillent game! Having a great time playing it. Just a query there seems to be no ladders to give access to some nice vantage points on some maps with water towers / windmills. Would be nice to see some sort of item to help you climb walls, like ropes or foot holes ect.... I have had a run around on most of the maps and there are some pretty mean areas that you just done have access to that would be perfect for a sniper! I also feel that the jump needs a little bit of a boost as sometimes small objects are not passable and you have to go around them........well thats my 2 cents worth. Keep up the great work. If anyone has something to add to this I would like to see your comments.

cheers,

The jump height seems reasonable for a soldier with gear.

I don't see ladders as priority. In other games, there seem to be far more ladders, as opposed to stairs, than are used in real life; they strike me as map designer shortcuts. If ladders are implemented, they should be relatively rare and used only where they normally realistically apper, on towers, for roof or loft access, etc. Also, using the ladder must cause any shoulder-fired weapon to be disabled (slung) while on the ladder. I can see carrying a pistol or grenade on a ladder, perhaps moving more slowly.

The one feature in this area I most want to see is the ability to clamber over low obstacles, ala CoD2. I find running 30 yards to find a box to get over a waist high railing unrealistic, almost silly, when I know that in real life I could easily jump over the railing if I could use one arm. This would also relieve map designers from having to supply "helpers", such as crates or stacks of building materials, which often look out of place.

Upvote 0
I don't think the jump height is reasonable,its unrealistically heavy.

Back of Stalingrad Kessel at axis spawn you can't easily jump up onto the rail platform yet its only 2 foot high.Odessa,try jumping over some sandbags that are knee height...no go.Blast doorways of buildings offer resistance to jumps at sock height.

It's the first thing that struck me as wrong from a physics v surroundings aspect.

I would like to i see it upped at slightly,cause at the min there is more inertia there than need be.

Agree about the climb over feature for waist height.

Upvote 0
I think the dive to prone feature should let you go over sand bags and other things too tall for jump height. The problem is implenting in a way that you always land behind the sandbag when you want to and always jump over it when you need to, because if you wanted to dive behind a sand bag to evade enemy fire, going over it directly into their fire wouldn't do you any good now would it :p?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
UK-SUBS said:
I don't think the jump height is reasonable,its unrealistically heavy.

Back of Stalingrad Kessel at axis spawn you can't easily jump up onto the rail platform yet its only 2 foot high.Odessa,try jumping over some sandbags that are knee height...no go.Blast doorways of buildings offer resistance to jumps at sock height.

You can jump on these knee/thigh high surfaces. Hit the sprint key just before the jump giving you a longer stride, just like in real life.

Upvote 0
Byte Me said:
I think the dive to prone feature should let you go over sand bags and other things too tall for jump height. The problem is implenting in a way that you always land behind the sandbag when you want to and always jump over it when you need to, because if you wanted to dive behind a sand bag to evade enemy fire, going over it directly into their fire wouldn't do you any good now would it :p?

Hehehe YOU try diving over sand bags (3-4ft in the air!) and landing on your stomach/elbows while cradleing you weapon and carrying your gear, your probably going to break somthing and most defiantly injur yourself unless its a dive into the fluffyest balkan grass :p

Upvote 0
lol true, but I keep wondering how it was done in the official trailer. I guess the guy was standing on something. Well at least its not as big as the "pop up" problem. I hate that thing, 1 little step in the wrong direction and your a sitting duck. Anyway, I suggest something that Half-Life uses, you press jump and crouch at the same time to jump slighty higher (it basically tricks the game engine), but in RO it would let you put 1 hand down and bound (right term?) right over it.

Upvote 0