• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Tactical Realism

I want to step in and get some comment on this discussion. I recognize alot of the names in this topic, I also recognize alot of confusion going around. This confusion is Tactical Realism and Realism. They are two different things. Tactical Realism is a game style, it uses a set of standard rules to restrict gameplay in the virtual world to be as close to real life as the certain game permits, sometimes mods are used to better the experience. Realism on the other hand was defined in the first few replies of the topics, in when a unit tries to run and maintain their respected unit exactly like its real life conterpart. This means their rank system and structure is setup and run exactly like the real life unit they are representing down to the strictest critique. Alot of realism units are known not to use the Tactical Realism standard rules. Tactical Realism units and Realism units are indeed different from one another, they are generally accepted as being a part of the same community but, both have there own ways and methods of gameplay.

Upvote 0
1stSF/SS-NightStalker said:
I want to step in and get some comment on this discussion. I recognize alot of the names in this topic, I also recognize alot of confusion going around. This confusion is Tactical Realism and Realism. They are two different things. Tactical Realism is a game style, it uses a set of standard rules to restrict gameplay in the virtual world to be as close to real life as the certain game permits, sometimes mods are used to better the experience. Realism on the other hand was defined in the first few replies of the topics, in when a unit tries to run and maintain their respected unit exactly like its real life conterpart. This means their rank system and structure is setup and run exactly like the real life unit they are representing down to the strictest critique. Alot of realism units are known not to use the Tactical Realism standard rules. Tactical Realism units and Realism units are indeed different from one another, they are generally accepted as being a part of the same community but, both have there own ways and methods of gameplay.

This is the smartest thing posted to this thread yet.

Upvote 0
agreed, Nightstalker knows us from a good while back now. He is totaly right in this regard. The idea of telling one unit what they are or what they are not should not be talked about by another unit in a public board (my opinion of course) I respect the right of each unit here to define themselves how they see fit on their own server and their own matches. Now, during a league play a standard is set that all clans must be part of to participate. There is no league talk in this topic, so...a lower ranking officer from another unit/squad telling other units what the 1.Geb is.....well thats just silly. I respect your opinion but thats all it is. To call us "cult" is even more silly...show some respect to each unit here and you will get respect in return. Those that wish to act like they own the terms "realism and or tactical realism" need to understand that they are only enforcing the rules if set by a league or on their own personal servers.

Respect is earned, not given. Judging someone based on your own ideas is a narrow way of thinking. The community grows, the devs of RO appreciate that I am sure, so the community prospers. Thanks for your opinions on us, but...thats all they are..."opinions". Thanks to everyone in this topic that put up with the back and forth comments. Good Conversation, but if you want to claim tactical realism..you should look into what would have happened in war times if a lower rank insulted another squad/unit leaders team. Thanks again to all the posts and lovely opinions...we in the 1.GJgr are very glad you could be part of this......mess. LOL

Upvote 0
Alright I've had enough of this, one of the key points in realism that you are all forgetting is sticking together. All GERMAN units must always have each others backs and stay friendly...it is the job of the officer to make sure friendly relations exist between units. I've read through this thread and I cant find a single valid reason for both the 18thSS and the 1st GebirgsJeager ( both of which a very cool guys) to be at each others throats, you dont see any of the soviet units fighting do you? My advice is..stop bickering like little girls and come to a settlement that will benefit the realism community as a whole. As I see it...all of the German units in RO:O right now will make up the core of the realism community in this game. We should make ourselves look respectable and professional in order to role model for the up and comers.

Take a note from the 3.SS...we have no enemies we get along with all units German AND Russian. Staying isolated is the worst thing you can do.

Upvote 0
Knapp|3. SS| said:
Alright I've had enough of this, one of the key points in realism that you are all forgetting is sticking together. All GERMAN units must always have each others backs and stay friendly...it is the job of the officer to make sure friendly relations exist between units. I've read through this thread and I cant find a single valid reason for both the 18thSS and the 1st GebirgsJeager ( both of which a very cool guys) to be at each others throats, you dont see any of the soviet units fighting do you? My advice is..stop bickering like little girls and come to a settlement that will benefit the realism community as a whole. As I see it...all of the German units in RO:O right now will make up the core of the realism community in this game. We should make ourselves look respectable and professional in order to role model for the up and comers.

Take a note from the 3.SS...we have no enemies we get along with all units German AND Russian. Staying isolated is the worst thing you can do.

I agree with you totally, i would like to apologize to the 1.Gjgr for some of my mens actions alone and mine, everyone's views on realism or tactical realism are diffrent and noone can change that its a gray subject but just like someone posted above respect is not giving its earned we don't have to sit on these forums and kiss each others ass's and nore like each other for that fact but we all should work together to get these ladders going.

I was going to say make the RO community but the community itself is not new its growing and you guys are new to the RO community.

Upvote 0
TR is bigger than RO, it's been around longer than RO and growing down different paths. The new people coming to RO are not all new to the TR community, they were already a part of it.

There is a a fair amount of hostility on this board in my opinion and I cannot place the source of it. But it seems like resentment from long time RO players that the retail release is bringing in new blood. Why is that?

One 'senior' member of this forum is even claiming he deserves respect for just coming onto my server! And another 'senior' member called our clan noobs. Because we're switching over to RO now? Because we don't have 300+ post counts on this board?

It's ridiculous.

I've been waiting years for TR to get this kind of hype and attention. There shouldn't be any sour grapes among the RO long timers.

Upvote 0
You're not only taking this all too seriously but you're also misrepresenting the whole me 'coming into your server demanding respect' thing. It was never about respect really as it was about one of your guys giving me a nasty attitude just because I said I prefer going solo in tanks *sometimes* if people I'm not familiar with aren't around to crew with me. When I first saw your thread I thought hey...nice website, I like 'tactical realism', so I went onto your server later on, got a sour comment, and left. It's not even that big of a deal but you decided my view and my experience as a guest on your server means nothing, but maybe you're right...how dare I ask to crew alone! The way you worded it you make it out to sound like guests on your server deserve no respect just because it's your server. However, like I said it is not really that big of a deal and I don't think there is much hostility, it was an isolated incident but an unfortunate one...I have no qualms with your group anymore-just consider what your guests think before asking them to leave for virtually no good reason.

Upvote 0
Felix Ostheim said:
I have no qualms with your group anymore-just consider what your guests think before asking them to leave for virtually no good reason.
No one else had a problem. If you were really sincere you'd have PMd me instead of trashing us in the forums.

And as far as treating guests goes, as a senior member of this forum you should take your own advice. I'm wasting my time here though.

Upvote 0
This backstabbing, talking behind other clans / units backs, And overall bad talk should be stopped at of this moment.

No one will benefit from it and it will only get you and your group into further trouble. Instead alliance(s) could and can be setup between different units.

I have personally not yet had the time to play this utmost excellent looking game yet so I can not state my opinion very much in detail regarding combat on the field.

I also hope I did not offend anyone in my last post about how a realism unit is run.

This should be seen as a debate, a discussion on the forum, not a place to curse and talk in a negative manner to one and other.

Yours respectfully,

Christian von Schalburg.

Upvote 0