• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Computer Upgrades to play

Tyr

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 26, 2006
Maryland // New York
Hey,
My school computer is new but unfortunately they issued it to us with inefficient amounts of RAM and GPU power...

Now:
P4 3.4
512 PC3200DDR
x300SE ATI
350W PSU

I would like to upgrade the RAM and GPU
now, the main games I play are only STEAM based especially RO now and CS:S.
I would like to be able to play at 1280x1024 with full AA and AF.
now, I can put in another two one gig sticks for a total of 2.5 gb or I can just add one for 1.5gb... I'm thinking 2.5 because it will be better for upgrades in the future and more is better.
For the GPU, this is the problem because the 6800GS is a good card I'm thinking about and it would not require a new PSU, the other card I am thinking about is a 7800GT which is only 100 dollars more yet would require a new power supply which adds from like 50-100 more dollars...

Also, since it is a school computer they make us run a ridiculous amount of network processes totaling about 50. So that's why I also think 2.5 gigs just to mitigate that.

Does anyone have any experience with any of this and could give me some advice because I really want to enjoy these new games at the best possible framrates with no hangups.

it should definately run this game at full AA/AF, Id post a thread in the gaming forums and see what people say. I can run the game at 4x AA/8x AF on a 6600GT, now if you get the AGP version (assuming you have an agp bus) you can unlock one vertex shader and 4 pixel pipeline to have a total of 6 vertex shaders and 16 pixel pipelines. Id imagine with having twice the memory, twice the pixel pipelines, a better core you could run double what I can with a 6600gt and still get great performance.

Upvote 0
Id get a PCI-E, AGP is definately fading away fast. Well, actually it really depends on how much gaming you are going to do. I have a 32 bit athlon and I ordered the 6800GS because I doubt I'll be playing other games other than RO and maybe OFP, which the GS will do a hell of a job at. If you are going to build a gaming rig Id definately go PCI-E and amd 64+. With that setup you should be good for the long run, hell I might go 64 this summer when I get a job and just sell my mobo/gfx/cpu to finance the upgrade.

Upvote 0