• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not enough minimum virtual memory

Totola

Mar 14, 2006
ITALY
After playin, many times wit problems of FPS rate, i got this message on desktop bar "not enough minimum virtual memory".
Anyway not other big issues on the game, apart FPS, loadin maps slow....
Athlon 64, 3400mhz, XP, 512 ram, geforce fx5500 256mb.
I play with antivirus and firewall down; direct3d is "normal".
Thnks
Bye
Totola

He needs more RAM. Virtual memory is what windows uses on your hard drive instead of RAM. You can change the size of your virtual memory so it stops popping up saying this. But you would probably benefit from more RAM because virtual memory is alot slower than RAM and would give a performance decrease:cool:

Upvote 0
Totola,

set your Min Virtual Mem and Max Virtual Mem both to 1500Mb..

eg..

Min 15360
Max 15360

this will create a permanent pagefile that no longer needs to grow or shrink (it will give you much better page file performance)..

this should fix your problem, if not post back and we'll see if we can help you more.

Upvote 0
H-Street said:
set your Min Virtual Mem and Max Virtual Mem both to 1500Mb..
Apparently, this is a common myth. Read this link: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php#FUS

Increasing the page file size will stop that message from popping up, but does anyone know if it actually increases performance? I'm not sure, but I don't think it does. I think it just goes ahead with the slower process of using virtual memory - the only difference is it doesn't have to warn you first.

But I get this message alot too and I have 768 MB RAM. It even shows up just from running Firefox. Seems like 768 would be sufficient for that task.

I don't know anything about virtual memory. I've tried reading links like the one above but it's still unclear. Anyone want to come in here and educate us?

Upvote 0
fivetiger said:
Apparently, this is a common myth. Read this link: http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.php#FUS

Increasing the page file size will stop that message from popping up, but does anyone know if it actually increases performance? I'm not sure, but I don't think it does. I think it just goes ahead with the slower process of using virtual memory - the only difference is it doesn't have to warn you first.

But I get this message alot too and I have 768 MB RAM. It even shows up just from running Firefox. Seems like 768 would be sufficient for that task.

I don't know anything about virtual memory. I've tried reading links like the one above but it's still unclear. Anyone want to come in here and educate us?

the article is true, in that windows will automatically adjust your page file size as needed.. if you set your min/max pagefile size at a fixed size too low is bad..

i guess i am just old school in that having a fixed page file is always better than a dynamic.. in that there is less work the HD has to do (and the HD is the slowest part of your system)..

back in the day (i haven't read much on it lately) it was a good rule of thumb to make a fixed pagefile 3X's your system memory..

ofcourse this was back inthe day of 128/256Mb being the norm..

from that link

Windows will expand a file that starts out too small and may shrink it again if it is larger than necessary, so it pays to set the initial size as large enough to handle the normal needs of your system to avoid constant changes of size. This will give all the benefits claimed for a

Upvote 0