• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Tactical Realism

Knapp|3. SS| said:
Baeur, all of the NCO's and Officers in the 3.SS has at least 4 months of exp under his belt, so we're anything but inexperienced. Now to the " "Totenkopf" aims to reenact and portray the WaffenSS soldier both IN and OUT of the game." I didn't mean out in the street, I meant in the forums which is OUT of game, some "clans" seem to have complete anarchy in there forums with no respect to ranks and half the time no knowledge of the unit they are portraying.

4 months? who cares how long you've been in "realism" and how do you define 4 months of realism, is this a reality T.V show or a video game?
For gods sakes its just a word Not a religion.

Upvote 0
Yeah guys, I don't take sides in this, tactical realism works just as good as realism...I guess since I skipped out on CoD:UO and CoD2 I didn't enter that tactical realismc ommunity as you put it. About calling it a religion: I don't think anyone here is that stupid to believe that is how some view it..I think we all get a little bull-headed at times but when it comes down to it is it's working as a team to play as efficient as you can with people you consider reliable. My squad will remain friendly with any clan, group, team, squad, or unit who keeps spirits high and respectable.
icon_cool.gif

Upvote 0
Felix Ostheim said:
Yeah guys, I don't take sides in this, tactical realism works just as good as realism...I guess since I skipped out on CoD:UO and CoD2 I didn't enter that tactical realismc ommunity as you put it. About calling it a religion: I don't think anyone here is that stupid to believe that is how some view it..I think we all get a little bull-headed at times but when it comes down to it is it's working as a team to play as efficient as you can with people you consider reliable. My squad will remain friendly with any clan, group, team, squad, or unit who keeps spirits high and respectable.
icon_cool.gif

Well said Felix, as will we. I think everyone has to enforce their rules on their server how they see fit in realism. I personally hope the game will be realistic enough to were we won't have to do "that" much modding just to stop people from doing things some clans find "unrealistic" I have always been a big fan of letting the game dictate gameplay, or in the case of a horrible game like CoD2 letting the mod dictate the gameplay. Unfortunetly CoD2 is such a wreck..getting a good run from a mod is slim to none.

Upvote 0
Great news indeed. I really hope I am wrong, but from what I am seeing from the old RO mod players here in the forums they are totaly against having new clans join. I hope I am wrong, but I am always glad to see any community grow. I like to have the extra challenge. Maybe I am just reading into some of the "I hate n00bs" posts to much. Maybe I am just old lol. I hope we can all just play and have a good challenge with it. Plus people have to take into consideration that not all of us can stay home and wait for beta keys, I have to work. LOL So you may know the games but I hope some of you out there will give the rest of us a chance to prove we can play in due time.

Upvote 0
To me, that can even be questioned. The realism standards everyone harps about has no "standard" some people allow window leaning, some don't, some people allow second story FALLING, not jumping...some don't. Now, if you are part of a league of play I agree. This is were one group sets a set of rules for all units to follow. Alot of teenagers get caught up in the "realism religion" and forget that its a game and to have fun with those standards. I just want to get down to some playing, and a challenge. I still hope this game sets a good standard and stops alot of the hopping, with slow downs after the first jump. Shooting from the hip doesn't bother me from close quarters. I have gone through several tactical gun courses in life and they teach you TOO shoot from the hip when needed as a tactic. I was a bondsman for several years...and I never can understand were some of you guys get the idea that this is insane? Across the map I totaly agree with you, but it never seems to be the across the map hip shots that get called out.

Its always the I just got killed from point blank range and want to cry about it lol. I think if you are going to have realism in a game, just enforce your rules on your server. Good Policy, that way noone starts telling other units what they are. Let each decide that by their standards. For instance, if we don't care for a way a squad plays we just don't deal with them. Nothing against them, we just have a different set of rules. No harm, no foul.

Upvote 0
Fraizinger said:
Hptmn.Krueger[TRO/29.PzG] before you piost in my topic again READ THE TOP on how realism is defind

What the hell does that mean? You sound like you OWN these forums. You posted your thoughts, I posted mine. Watch yourself.

Stiller, I don't see any reason why old RO players would outcast new joins. If they did, that would just be ignorance. Games and communities grow, you can't blame someone for growing with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fraizinger said:
I have no problem with new clans/units. But if you are a unit play by the tatical realism ways, and if you dont play by thoses rules you are a clan.

Do you know how stupid that actually sounds?

The better way to do it is put up or shut up.
My unit/clan whatever, will get use to RO pretty quickly.
Play us...oh wait...you won't because we will both be German unit/clans.
Our tactics are already proven. I am not worried about the Gebirgsjagers.
The 1.GJgr will have fun no matter what. That is what it is all about.

Upvote 0
Do you know how stupid that actually sounds?

The better way to do it is put up or shut up.
My unit/clan whatever, will get use to RO pretty quickly.
Play us...oh wait...you won't because we will both be German unit/clans.
Our tactics are already proven. I am not worried about the Gebirgsjagers.
The 1.GJgr will have fun no matter what. That is what it is all about.
I have no problem playing you, as long as my unit playes german and your unit plays Russian. And dont tell me to shut up bacause i am saying what realism is. I still have fun playing my side in scrims. But in public play i play any side (usually german). Do any of you actually know what realism is. if you dont then READ MY POST AGAIN. cause what the 1.GJgr is doing isnt. That is called fooling arround in my book and not playing a game that was ment for realism

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The bottom line is, we play using our own tactics... we don't need a book written in the 30's and 40's to tell us how to play a game in the 21st century. It's nuts...

The fact that what you think realism is (not really what you think but what wikipedia says) is totally your own deal. But we don't think that to be realism you have to act like a dick to lower ranks, use out-dated tactics. We are here to have fun and thats the bottom line...

You of all people are in no position to tell other units what realism is or define it for them. It's not your place and I would appreciate it if you would keep your incoherent views on how the 1GJgr carries themselves to the boudries of your own mind... What I find funny is some guy who has 6 months of realism gameplay thinks he is at the top of the food chain... well your wrong, you can change your unit name as manytimes as you like, as you have... But your still the same guy, the same asshat who has caused problems on my UO server and has sturred up alot of **** since I've known you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my opinion only from what I have read here I must agree with statements made by both Herr Fraizinger and Herr Knapp.

- A realism unit is a unit that uses the correct ranks. (Russian, German , Herr or Waffen-SS.)

- It fights purely on one side, no exceptions. (Russian or German)

- It reenacts tactics used during WWII.

- It has a varied type of schools based on the countries specific schooling system during this time period. (Offizier Schule and NCO Schule.) (Russian or German.)

- Commands are given and staying official is a must. You would never in a realism unit hopefully find a conversation like the following : Hey buddy, how are you doing? Arh, nothing lad simply standing here, messing around.

NEIN! : Orders are strictly given by the senior NCOs or Offizieren, commands verbally loud and clear. Usage of radio commands (Which I am not yet sure if this is being used in RO : O ).

As Mr.Stevenson stated above : The fact that what you think realism is (not really what you think but what wikipedia says) is totally your own deal. But we don't think that to be realism you have to act like a dick to lower ranks, use out-dated tactics. We are here to have fun and thats the bottom line...

Reply : Realism is not totally your own deal sir, you represent how the fighting was and took place during WWII in this case the Eastern Front. Acting like a "dick", excuse me sir, the Offizers in the Waffen-SS where harsh to their soldiers, you did what you were told and that was it. If denying you would most likely be shot. In a realism clans case : dismissed or in other words kicked out of the unit. Using outdated tactics? Good God sir, you are in a virtual environment in outdated time. As a realism unit you try to use good tactics based on how was fought during WWII. Having fun can also be done in other ways then running around and "messing" around sir, or perhaps in other words, those of you whom state : I run my unit as I want to and I do not want to use outdated tactics - these people do simply not have much knowledge about what really happened on the Eastern Front. I personally had 2 family members in the Waffen-SS - stating directly to me that I do not know how or what happened will be a childish comment gentlemen.

I hope I have not offended anyone here, my point of view has been stated.

The list continues, it could fill up several pages of "What are the rules of a realism unit".

Yours sincerely,

Christian von Schalburg.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I find funny is some guy who has 6 months of realism gameplay thinks he is at the top of the food chain... well your wrong, you can change your unit name as manytimes as you like, as you have... But your still the same guy, the same asshat who has caused problems on my UO server and has sturred up alot of **** since I've known you.

Know what i find funny you have been in realism longer then me and you think you can change the rules of a system that has been arround for about 8-9 years now. And this stuff about me causesing trouble in your UO server. I barly played UO, and when i did it was in random servers with 2-3 of my buddies. Iv never started **** in your server and i think you should change your attitude towards me and my unit

Upvote 0
This has to stop, 18.SS stop making useless post with these men they are nothing but a bunch of guys that think they know their **** when they don't if you are not kissing the 1.Gebs ass or apart of their cult they will talk down to you and beat you down with their childish and useless posts.

On the other hand i do not use tactics from the "30's and 40s" the way you put it we use our own tactics and formations that have worked for many years.

Now if you can put your lameness aside and stop bashing my unit and my men in the unit and drop the horse **** that has been flying around and just play the god for saken game you people are to tense so just shut the hell up and play let your "God like tactics do the talking instead of this **** flying around in these forums"

Upvote 0
You know what this discussion feels like? Just this:

20051003l.jpg

Shall we carry on this conversation in German or Russian? Afterall, you are only realistic if you speak the language of the unit you reenact. But then again, we all know all germans spoke bad english with a heavy german accent in WW2, so if you re-enact that... we're good.

Eisenberg said:
On the other hand i do not use tactics from the "30's and 40s" the way you put it we use our own tactics and formations that have worked for many years.

So, if you use your own tactics, how can you claim to be tactically realistic? Because according to Herr Von Schalburg here, technically you aren't.

Upvote 0
I started a wiki entry for TR an have been encouraging the community to add to and edit it. That's the beauty of the wiki. Some of you should log on and contribute. You'd be surprised how much extra visibility say RO and the TR community could get from a well formed entry on the wiki with cross links.

Right now games like CS and R6 are most referenced in Google with the keyword 'tactical'. This is one of the ways of changing that.

This topic seems to more about an argument over a minor detail in the TR community - german clans only playing german maps. I think that is a ridiculous and pointless argument. It's like saying your stereo isn't a stereo unless the volume is always set at 11 (Spinal Tap reference there).

Last edited:
Upvote 0