• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sgt_Spireites Thoughts and Views

I like this game, I don't love it but I like it. I also think that I will grow to like it even more the more I play it, maybe even love it one day.

However to all those folk who say the visuals are excellent I can say only one thing. THEY AREN'T.

This is not the fault of the developers who have done an excellent job with the tools at hand. Doesn't it make you wish though that they had been given the latest UNreal engine to work with, or had won a "Make something Source" competition instead.

Compared to the visuals of DODs and COD2 the visuals are very basic and look exactly like they are, a three year old engine. Playing DODS and cowering under a window whilst machine gun fire shatters the glass above me and peppers the wall behind me, is stunning and even terrifying. This is just one of the things that this engine cannot replicate.

Compared to the stunning (except for the player models) vistas of DODS and COD2 (including the player models) they pale somewhat.

Even at 1600*1200 with all the graphical niceties turned on (except HDR bloom which really doesn't work that well) it justcan't compare.

But on the plus side the slow paced gameplay is just my cup of tea.
I like the iron sights for aiming the rifles but I believe you should be able to spray and pray with a sub machine gun, after all thats how they were used during the war. The soldiers didn't stop to look down their iron sights when assaulting a trench for example. Qucik jump in and spray that mother.

The snowy levels especailly the tanks one (can't remember what its calleed) look very bland and the water effects are awful. I think the tanks work OK though, no real problem with them.

In conclusion. Someone please give Tripwire the use of a proper modern engine and let them make this game the way it should be. Then it'll wipe the floor with everything around it, including the impressive and beautiful BF2 (wrong war that one though)

Two words: I agree :)

Graphics are not ground breaking...not the least bit BUT the gameplay is awsome.

The graphics kinda feel like an upgraded version of Counter-Strike...but it not even close to any Source engine based games.

I still like the game alot, once th elittle quicks have been rubbed out, I think I`m gonna love the game.

PLEASE fix up the AI...bots tend to block doorways and too often just stand in front of an enemy doing nothing while the bot enemy does also nothing... :(

Upvote 0
You can fire an smg from the hip, like you can IRL, just like IRL, there just isn't a crosshair.

If you wanna be a hipshooter, it will take a bit of practice.

I can't dispute anything else, as it is your opinion. I can tell you, we have a UE3 License, but have no public plans on what will bw done with it.

Upvote 0
OMG you have an UE3 licence. Please please promise that you will build a RO type game with that. That would be stunning. You have the gameplay sorted no problem, no complaints. With that engine though I can only drool in anticipation.

Man I can visualise the whole of WW2 from the western front to the pacific and gaming heaven for years to come.

Must go and have a cold shower now.

Upvote 0
Source engine may look better (though even that is disputable) but is notoriously bad for simulating long distances and open spaces in *realistic manner*.

Note how every Source game avoids huge open spaces and long range fights - for a reason.

Almost any other engine currently on the market is better for simulating long range fire fights, including UE2.5.

Oleg

Upvote 0
Could someone bring high res and setting pictures of the games we're talking about to the thread? That should get us somewhere.

One guy posted this, and he he ran eveything high and all that w HDR bloow off I think it was.
shot410jg.jpg

Awesome innit?

Upvote 0