• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Solo tanking too easy?

By the way...

I can understand why some people may think having, say, T-34s with multiple members should be more "mandatory." But for the big guns that are more for bombardment and long-range shell fire instead of closer engagements, such as SU-76s, StuGs, and IS-2s, being a driver gets mighty boring. Park it somewhere, and sit and watch the gunner blast away. You basically do nothing for a long time, if you put the tank in a good spot.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but most people I tank with are absolute morons. Also whilst server limits are still only 32 players = 16 per side, there are not enough people to fully man tanks.

If I team up with someone who uses restraint, communication and has a sense of battle awareness then I'll crew but most of the time I prefer going Solo.

Don't like it tough.

Upvote 0
blitze said:
I'm sorry but most people I tank with are absolute morons. Also whilst server limits are still only 32 players = 16 per side, there are not enough people to fully man tanks.

If I team up with someone who uses restraint, communication and has a sense of battle awareness then I'll crew but most of the time I prefer going Solo.

Don't like it tough.

Agreed.

Upvote 0
zeke_stone said:
I think to rectify this we should have the gunner position stop reloading ammo automatically unless its occupied, that way when the solo tanker switches to driver to position the tank and then back to gun to shoot, the gun would resume its loading progress from when the position was last occupied.

Pretty sure it's already like this, and it was certainlly like this in the mod. Basically a solo tanker is at a huge disadvantage with regards to mobility. While a soloing guy tends to just stop and shoot at enemy tanks... while a decently crewed tank can be a very effective mobile killing machine.

As it stands, you can solo effectively.. but multi-crewed tanks are potentially far better. Which is exactly how it should be.

Upvote 0
Yes, while I do enjoy solo tanking (I love it when I find someone who is a good shot or driver) I think it needs some nerfing. Slower reload times and 3-5 seconds to switch positions should fix that just fine, but as stated before there isn't always enough people to man tanks. So I suggest a server option which makes the tank crew and tank commander classes the only classes you can pick.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Here's the breakdown:

If you cant find a good driver and a good gunner you are better off being good at both by yourself. BUT, you are at a huge disadvantage when facing a tank that has both (ask innociv, he'll tell ya).

If I can find a good driver who knows how to get hull down and who I can communicate with I vastly prefer it, but if there is no driver to be found then I will work on my own at range since cqc for tanks is hopeless with 1 person.
I agree,if many people just jump out of the tank when i try to join,i am force to drive one on my own,but these changes i would accept,like slower switching between positions and reloading times,so i would use the tank more like long range artillery.Close fight should be domain for at least 2 players,and if its difficult?hell yes it should add longer fight,lol.

Upvote 0
I am incredibly deadly while solo-ing a tank. I don't know what you guys talk about, at least, much more deadly than with an incompetent driver. 90% of the drivers out there do nothing BUT get you killed. They are completely counter-productive.

Sure, I have to stay back, angle my tank, hide behind cover/concealment and engage and 600 meters or upwards, but I'm freaking deadly, can't touch me.

At least for now, nobody can even hit you at that distance, let alone in a span of 20 seconds when you've already destroyed him.

Upvote 0
I'm going to have to go with leave it alone. The only way solo tanking has ever effected me was all the tanks were gone one time and i had to wait 3 minutes for one.

Plus its a huge advantage to have a driver and gunner working together. The ability to move when under fire or take cover when reloading is a tactic that can save your tank in a lot of cases. And I'd rather be alone than work with someone who's not a team player. Plus its a lot more fun of a game when there are 7 tanks per team rolling around.

Upvote 0